Mozilla Guide please

ah...true enough, but not nearly as fast as just typing "google", and hitting control enter.i

anyway, I think I've tracked down my favorites problem.

I believe my instalatation is somehow corrupt, as mozilla freezes when I hit manage on the side barf.

I'm going to ununstall, and reinstall an earlier build...I'll see if that helps.

I might try the beta also, though if this stable version is giving me trouble, I shudder at the prospect of a beta.

I'm trying very hard, but there is nothing good about this browser so far

Is there even one of the mozilla fraternity that's going to defend against my findings?

so far, this is absolutely the slowest browser I have ever seen!!!

please!!!

I want to give this program a legitimate shot.

Speedy b...where r u when I need u?

If I can't do anything about this browser speed, I will have to end this experiment much too prematurely.

I hope that I am just doing something wrong here

somebody suggest something to speed this monster up.

please

In Preference>Advanced>HTTP Networking
See that Keep-Alive and Pipelining are enabled. Restart the browser, and see if that helps in any way.

Originally posted by dealer
So far, this browser is clearly slower then ie...maybe it will pick up, we'll see, but as of yet, no, pages do not load faster, they load slower.

Have to disagree there. Mozilla loads pages slower on my box ONLY if they contains Java applets (yuck) ... and that's due to the fact that it uses Sun's JVM.

I might try the beta also, though if this stable version is giving me trouble, I shudder at the prospect of a beta.

I have used betas of 1.1 and 1.2, and have never had stability issues. Sure, there are bugs ... but that's why it's called a beta. Most bugs are dealt with on Bugzilla almost immediately.

thanx, n r

well, the pages are now useable sooner...the gifs I think are starting to pop.

still taking forever for the page to finnish loadiing though.

I was beginning to think my fastnet99 had alot to do with this, and mozilla couldn't take advantage if that utility.

but that's not it, cuz these semm to be finding the sites at the same pace, and it's just the page loading that's the problem.

i no longer believe it's a host file thing.

now that my gifs are poping in, I no longer think it's a temporary intenet file thing either.

soon as I get to a faster connectione, I'm going to try the beta...hopefully some of these problems will be resolved

thanx again, netryder

thanx again, netryder

No probs ;)

anyway, I'm so far convinced this mozilla fraternatiy is just a "I'll show those microsfot people, I will I will" brotherhood, and not much more.

First of all, I've been using Mozilla since its early builds, and I just want to point out that I don't belong to any such a thing as a fraternity or brotherhood.
I absolutely do not hate Internet Explorer, or say that it's crap because it's a Microsoft product. In fact, I think MS is doing a great job in the recent years. Windows XP has been something they should be lauded for.
I mentioned my reasons for using Mozilla over IE in the other thread. Those are my only reasons ... hard facts ... no anti-MS sentiments. Nothing more ... nothing less.

Originally posted by Alan
lmao:D

you will also get the "Security Security" issue thrown at you as well:D

Frankly, I couldn't care less about browser security. It's not one of the reasons I use Mozilla, personally.

BTW, in case you haven't figured it out yet, you can show or hide the sidebar by pressing F9.

And SpeedY's amazing NTFS sidebar can be found here:
http://speedyb.sduff.com/dave/sidebar/

It even auto-refreshes at regular intervals, so u can keep track of the latest forum posts/news. ;)

Originally posted by NetRyder
BTW, in case you haven't figured it out yet, you can show or hide the sidebar by pressing F9.

And SpeedY's amazing NTFS sidebar can be found here:
http://speedyb.sduff.com/dave/sidebar/

It even auto-refreshes at regular intervals, so u can keep track of the latest forum posts/news. ;)

oh man, that sidebar is gonna be great...can't wait

btw, I also have a program that autorefreshes, and I use that on my ie sidebars that I create

also, thanx for the f9...I did know it, but thanx

you know what sux?

I had my restrart shortcut to kick in from f9...ha...restarted 4 or five tomes before I realized what was going on...lmAO

any way to autohide the toolbar on top, like I can in ie?

also, any way to shrink the address bar?

thand again netyder

Just downloaded the latest Phoenix build .... somehow seems more responsive than Moz 1.2.1
Nice! :happy:

Give that a shot too dealer.

Hmmm ... I miss my Preferences from Moz, but this seems a lot snappier. Some sweet skins too.

Best of both worlds I guess ... fast, and Mozilla-based :)

netryder...thanx again for helping

I'm trying everything I can think of

there is not a chance this browser is as fast as ie.

speedys side bar is sweet, and I wish I could get that thing in ie

that's all I can say for this so far.

I'm gonna leave it on my box for a week.

I don't see any way to get the speed of this up to ie.

I think it's because of a few of my tweaks, like the fastnet99...but not that exclusively, as finding the page is not the problem, it's loading the page that's very slow...I'm talking about while the page is loading...this is very very slow...like the temp files are in a funnel or something.

your fix helped this quie a bit, by the way.

what does that throughput thing do?..it's cool

I'm pretty sure this browser has more trouble using the temp internet files then ie, and that's got alot to do with how slow these pages load.

but, even on brand new sites

ie gets finished seconds faster then mozilla...seconds, even when I start mozilla second...and give it the benefit of temporary files...now this is amazing to me

plus, ie is useable seconds faster, I'm talking about before the page is finnished loading...ie allows use long before it's finnished loading, and this browser is too often switching and jumping to actually work on a page until it's finnished loading

it's really a big differance.

I'm gonna try the alpha mozilla, if you think that ones ok to try.

also, the Phoenix ...is this the daily build you're talking about, or a landmark build...which one should I try?

btw

none of these builds has been able to find my favorites folder.

I did manage to import the filed as a file, not as bookmarks...that's minor..

the plusses;

1) download manager...though not as good as my star downloader

2) the cookie manager, though not as good as my cookie wall

3) the add blocker...this I like allot, though of course it can't come close to my adshield

4) speedys side bar...this is the t!ts

things I have a hard time giving up

1) page loading is a turtle

2) I can't adjust the toolbar at all enough

3) no autohide of the toolbar (a must)

4) it doesn't use adshield (a must)

5) no control+enter...I love that control+enter

things that don't mean anything;

the tabs are worthless...it's the same thing as the tabs in ie.

also, for even better tabs, there are tiny weeny add ons to give me even better tabs

skins...nothing at all, when you make the skin as unobtrusive as i make the skin of ie

so, so far, it's just an extra bog on my box

I don't mind at all the way mozilla loads...not too slow, and that is blown out of proportion

like I said, I'll keep trying, but for what I see, if I had to buy one of these two browsers, I would pay twice as much for ie.

we'll see at the end of my experiment

going to bed for the night...see you manana

ok, take a look at my ie toolbar.

now, this is not my f11 screen, this is my regular screen

next, I'' post my f11 screen on ie...you will freak

Try this out ... it's like AdShield. Allows you to set wildcards to block ads (using a simple right click)

http://adblock.mozdev.org

It's an extension for both Mozilla and Phoenix. :)
BTW, I downloaded the latest stable build: Phoenix 0.5

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back