Mozilla Guide please

Perris Calderon

dealer
Staff member
Political Access
Allright, as always, I'm willing to break my box for the greater good.

I have noticed mozilla has a cult following, so I decided to give this monster a more then casual effort.

So far, this browser is clearly slower then ie...maybe it will pick up, we'll see, but as of yet, no, pages do not load faster, they load slower.

let's not discuss that on this thread, that remains for other threads.

what I need is a guide, so I can become versed with this browser more quickly.

1) for instance, mozilla cannot find my favorites folder, so how do I get that in?

2) How on earth to I customize the toolbar...DO NOT TELL ME IT'S NOT CUSTOMIZEABLE, BECAUSE THEN OF COURSE I CANNOT POSSIBLY CONTINUE TO USE THIS MONSTER.

3) I also need to shrink the toolbar, shrink the address bar, blah blah...so although this goes with custonize the toolbar, I absolutely need to do this.

4) the addblocker is having absolutely no luck with banners, so thell me how to use that

5) someone said skins, oh man does this need a skin, so tell me about that

someone said side bar

this is very intriguing to me...tell me how to make this sidebar with other sites on it.

I allready make a sidebar in ie, simply by resizing the first window to sidebar size

if there is a better way to make a sidebar in mozilla, tell me how to do it.

So far, it definately loads pages slower then ie, so tell me what adjustments to make concerning this.

And, any other tips, with good step by step instructions would be appreciated.

I'm gonna stay with this browser for at least a week, so try to help me out.

I will tell everyone right now, there is no way I can stay with mozilla, as adshield does not work in it, and there is no way I can browse without adshield.

never the less, I'm giving this a go

I hope you can help

allright, I know I said we'd discuss pageloading on another thread, but I have to put this here.

unless it's due to my internet tweakdi...I don't know,

mozilla is actually seconds slower in side by sied comparisons in speed.

having both browsers open at the same time, and using a stop watch, going to new websites from each browser, it doesn't matter if I go there first or last with mozilla.

mozilla takes from 1 to two seconds longer to load on this dsl right now.

I'll try the same experiment on a slow connection in about an hour.

but this is far from a fast browser, mozilla is a slow browser.. (so far...things may change)

all right, I'm getting used to this gui.

I'm not so sure what is at all special about these tabs.

ie has these tabs in the taskbar.

anyone that wants to, can move the task bar to the top of the screen, and there you go, ie tabs on top, just like these tabs on top

as a matter if fact, many people think the task bar belongs up on top.

I have to figure out how to get my onw link in the sidebar, so it sits in that little window...that'll be cool

I hope someone can tell me how to unloxk the toolbar, so I can consolodate all of this wasted space.

I need to make the address bar about 1/5 the size, and I need to get these buttons all onto one line.

I also need to get rid of the text under the buttons of this toolbar

ok, got rid of most of then wasted buttons, got rid of the useless text under the buttons.

only thing left to make me happy is shrinking the addressbar, and moving everything up to one toolbar.

then I'll be happy with this little experiment.

oh...I chnged the skin too.

not a big deal, as I'm making this skin as small as possible either way

also, is there anyway to auto hide this toolbar?

this is possible in ie when in f11

I can't figure out how to do it with mozilla in f11

is it doable?

Hi Dealer,

/me watching this thread with interest

I have sent out a sos to all the Mozilla fans.you should be getting some replies soon........

Good luck with your trial of Mozilla, but me thinks it wont be on your pc for to much longer :D

Alan

thanx for the help alen

ya, there's nothing here I don't have on ie, and it's much slower.

though when I get that website on the sidebar thing happening, that'll be nice, but once again, it'll be the same thing as a small window in ie...a little more convienient,so I'd like to try it.

anyway, I'm so far convinced this mozilla fraternatiy is just a "I'll show those microsfot people, I will I will" brotherhood, and not much more.

anyway, I'm so far convinced this mozilla fraternatiy is just a "I'll show those microsfot people, I will I will" brotherhood, and not much mere

lmao:D

you will also get the "Security Security" issue thrown at you as well:D

Yes, but everybody knows that I know about the security arguments...both sides.

I'd also like someone to tell me why this program wants to open netscape navgator???

am I missing someothing here?

is this program associated with netscape?

omg, I hope not

and someone tell me how to import my favorites from ie.

this program can't find my favorite folder, so I have to import it manually.

anyone know how to do dat?

and I use the "controll enter" to enter all that "www.com" stuff

do not tell me this browser doesn't have something equivelant...please do not tell me that

omg...I just went to the theme site, and this is obviously based on the netscape browser

omfg

ok...I'll keep trying anyway...but I don't like it

dealer
omg...I just went to the theme site, and this is obviously based on the netscape browser
No.
Netscape use the mozilla source code to make their browser.

Originally posted by dealer
and I use the "controll enter" to enter all that "www.com" stuff

do not tell me this browser doesn't have something equivelant...please do not tell me that

Free your mind Grasshopper and you will be able to leave the Temple

:D :D

thanx speedy, that's a relief

tell me how to import my favorites folder, I cna't get to it in mozilla.

also, tell me how to do the contoll enter to address websites if it's in there (I hope so)

also, did you ever time this against ie?

on my box, this browser loads pages seconds slower then ie

maybe it's some tweakin I did on my box, like the fastnet 99

is this proggy using my hosts file?

if not, how do I get it to do that.

also, could you post your source for the ntfs side bar you have...I really want to get that in here

good information kevin...At the end of my little dialougue, I have some information for you, and adshield

thanx for all the time you spent with information for me.

ya, this browser finds an empty file when it looks for my favorites file. a mozilla glitch, as no other internet program I use has any difficulty finding the folder .

also, I've timed this now on a slow connection as well, and the slowness of this browser is remarkable...there is a 7 second differance!!!

I've tried giving mozilla every advantage, loading the page second, and things like this.

still, mozilla is a turtle

that's not bearable, and I will not be able to experiment too much longer, unless I can find a resson for the diffearance, and compensate.

I'm almost positive it's not using my host file, and that is probably the differance...huge

I'm thinking it's also not using the temporary internet file, as gifs just ooze in, instead of poping in...very annoying.

unless I can reoslve these issues, this thing is going in the trash fast.

oh, and yes, there is a huge differance between just entering the address, and using control+enter.

control+enter is an instantaneous address completion by wrote.

just entering the address is differant, and a search is initiated and failed before the proper pre and suffixes are added.

now for my adshield tip, and the main reason I must have it.

with addshield, I can simply right click logos, highlight the whole url.

then, the logo is not only eliminated, but the area is shrunk to 0x0.

this means a huge addition in page content on all of the sites that I do this.

some of these logos are 2x15 on my screen.

that means 2x15 inches of extra content.

this I cannot live without, now that I'm used to it.

try it, excellant.

for instance, in the top left, the ntfs logo;

right click, hit add to block list

now, you must highlight the whole url, otherwise other buttons will also be blocked.

click ok, and there you go, an inch more content

addicting, once you get used to it

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back