Latitude D-420/620 and 820 discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: New latitude D-420/620 and 820, precision m90

Thankz Sazar for your reply. I'll probably wait until MS Vista is launched before i decide to buy either the latitude d620 or the d420. One of the criteria that i normally use before deciding on a laptop is the graphics card. I already own a inspiron 6000 with an integrated graphics card and the quality is poor compared to Sony and Acer models that possess ATI/NVIDIA cards. I hope the D620 uses the new ATI 1??? series and also will it include TrueLife technology that is in the dell inspiron 630m/XPS M140 model?. It would be clear that Dell corporate notebooks are far superior from the consumer range of inspiron but can't dell implement similar designs for the inspiron so it appeals to a more range of customers? I am only suggesting ideas because i think the consumer market in the next 5 years will be very important especially with the ViiV technology intel has introduced and also when WiMax starts to be implemented.

The inspiron and latitude models are built off much the same platforms and share many component items.

The 2d quality of the 6000 should be no different than other systems out there, the video card will only make a difference when you compare 3d performance.

If you get the base display on the 6000, the display quality may be less than other systems with the higher-end displays. If you get the higher end/ultrasharp or true-life displays, you will obviously get better display quality.

The consumer segment is definitely not shorted, the consumer themselves have to make the decisions about what components they want to have. Dell cannot be held responsible for the consumer's decisions. The chasis is more durable for the corporate notebooks and some other features are included (i.e. biometrics, tpm, etc) which is unlikely going to be present in the consumer segment.

You do also end up paying more for the corporate products because of support and (some) component differences.

The new series should all have true-life standard and nvidia is likely the route they will go due to lower power consumption/heat-output and smaller cores.

How do you get this wealth of insider information?

I know a guy :smoker:

The information is hardly under NDA and is certainly not top-secret :)

Of course..but finding that connection is pretty difficult. Just curious to see your relation.

I think Dell is a pretty big company :)

Doesn't hurt working for them either :smoker:

Sazar said:
Doesn't hurt working for them either :smoker:
LOL you got me there I guess. Why didnt I think of that first...?

Ok, wasn't sure if we were keeping that one on the down low :D
I got my info by being there.

Almost silver on their forums too (woo? !)

Its nearly the end of March and there is no sign when the Latitude/Precision will be released. I have checked the website and there is no mention. It maybe most likely that the new range will be released mid april (i assume). Anyway, does anyone have any idea which Nvidia card dell will be implementing? Also i read a review of dell latitude d620 and its quite good however it did not include a card reader as standard. In the Inspiron range the 5-1 card reader is standard not sure why dell have left it out as some consumers would be attracted to the latitude as the design has improved from the previous one. Also i heard that dell will be releasing a latitude d520 and maybe latitude x2. is this true? and would the d520 be a widescreen model or an XGA model.

Electronic Punk said:
Ok, wasn't sure if we were keeping that one on the down low :D

:smoker:

What info?

I got my info by being there.

Almost silver on their forums too (woo? !)

Yah, me too :cool:

maryamtahiryasin said:
Its nearly the end of March and there is no sign when the Latitude/Precision will be released. I have checked the website and there is no mention. It maybe most likely that the new range will be released mid april (i assume). Anyway, does anyone have any idea which Nvidia card dell will be implementing? Also i read a review of dell latitude d620 and its quite good however it did not include a card reader as standard. In the Inspiron range the 5-1 card reader is standard not sure why dell have left it out as some consumers would be attracted to the latitude as the design has improved from the previous one. Also i heard that dell will be releasing a latitude d520 and maybe latitude x2. is this true? and would the d520 be a widescreen model or an XGA model.

A media card reader is more of a consumer item.

Regarding the other notebooks, I have not heard of the 520 specs and the X2 is unlikely to come about because the 420 is the replacement for the X-1 and 410 combined. I can't see what segment the X-2 would slide into unless it was another ultra-portable with an optical drive, i.e. 13" or so widescreen.

All teh notebooks are essentially going widescreen so I would expect any new model to be widescreen.

Thursday would be a likely day of the week for a launch. I'd think they'd try to time it to coincide with new weekly promos.

Hello All !

Humm I've been waiting since the beginning of the year to order the Precision M90. I was about to buy the M70 when I heard about the M90. Since then I'm looking for infos to know the "D" day to order it... Talking in vain to rep or surfing the net. The last thing I've heard (read) is April 15 on an European board for the launch of this new model. Is anybody can confirm or has better infos?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Thank you Sazar for your reply. However i would like to know what is the price range in £ sterling. When will the new range hit the UK shores. Also how come Dell showed its new range in Ireland? instead of US?. I don't seem to understand the reason to show in Ireland unless its going to be released in UK first and then US. However i can not wait to upgrade my current laptop which is an Inspiron 6000 but firstly MS Vista must be released to see what features it will bring to the laptop. It could be argued that how will MS Vista take advantage of the laptop speed of 1.66GHZ-2.13GHZ duo core processor becuase i keep reading that the processor atleast needs to be 3GHZ or maybe i am reading along the lines but understanding it in a different situation i.e. desktop pc and also when will dell release the inspiron 640m and will it have the same design as 630m?

I don't know the pricing and other details like that unfortunately.

The GSA notebooks will be BUILT in ireland so it's only prudent to show them there. They had demo's here in the US too.

I saw the 520 there as well, but we weren't really too interested in it and I didn't realise it was new.

Man, I'm dying here! When's the M90 coming out?
I really need to get my hands on one by May 1st.

Does anyone know?:crosseyed:

March 29 is being thrown around as the D620 release date on the NotebookReview forum.

I wonder how initial lead times are going to be.

March 29??? last time i heard was that the dell latitude d620 is going to be released mid-april but who knows what dell are upto. Regarding lead times it takes Dell 5 mins to assemble a laptop and 7-10 days shipped for the customer. Dell uses the same techniques as Toyota (the japanese firm that solely concentrates on shorter leadtimes and less inventory). so the lead time for the new latitude should be same as the previous latitudes unless some hiccups occur which i really doubt. If was to buy a laptop its going to be a latitude d820 or 620 but it must have a very good graphics card from NVIDIA or ATI i don't mind as both companies produce excellent cards on the market.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back