Latitude D-420/620 and 820 discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: New latitude D-420/620 and 820, precision m90

I must have an inside connection, cause I am not paying that much... :)

Not bad configuaration at all. But i do agree with Sazar NTFS is your best option. However as you are a CAD user you should also look at the precision M65 that is well tuned up system as well. The M90 is large due to its 17" screen but i presume you want the laptop not for travel purposes. Also to Sazar the option for the NVIDIA NVS graphics solution is not available on the UK website. I went to the consumer section and only the integrated is available but not the NVIDIA. What surprised me the most that the NVDIA option is only available in the large/business and medium size business but they are asking alot of money as i am trying to cut cost as maximum as i could. If i call the dell representative will they be able to give me the option for the NVIDIA card or not? It's quite unfair to some consumers as myself when we want to buy a Latitude (I Know it is aimed for businesses but as a conscious customer they should have all options available.) D820 0r 620 but not with an integrated card.

The option is present for the notebook. This will be updated on the website as all modules are activated.

For right now all I can say is call and ask for the modification to be made.

This is a business/corporate notebook and currently the product is being ramped in production, dell does not keep inventory.

Naturally first dibs will go to the users who are most likely to utilize the higher end options and consumers will have their own consumer notebooks to purchase.

Call and ask, it's the best I can suggest. I don't have anything to do with this :D

Is the NVS 120m 512mb card suitable for gaming? Let's say the Unreal Engine 2.5 is all it will be used for. Maybe some other games too but I wont worry about performance there. Would it be better to request that a GeForce chip be used if possible? I cant find ANY details on the quadro 120m :(

It's a professional/workstation type card.

It can probably do gaming well enough but its function is as a professional device.

If you want gaming, go with the XPS M 170.

Just checked the website and the modules are active for the gfx cards.

Try not to build the system from the base option, it will likely stay with the integrated version.

I just built a pretty well loaded 620 for about $2400 (pre-tax). Check out the video options on the 820, there will be 3, scaling up to the 512mb version.

:smoker:

Sazar said:
It's a professional/workstation type card.

It can probably do gaming well enough but its function is as a professional device.

If you want gaming, go with the XPS M 170.
I dont think I have an option. :( My college IT laptop services have a contract for Latitudes I think. Therefor regardless of what I told them, they wouldn't order whatever I wanted because the money is in my student loans, they just allocate $2,500 to a laptop and they also provide service for it if neccessary (not going to happen).

I might have to slip em a Washington :D

The only game I want to play really is Americas Army... chances are until my roommate gets a dedicated power rig I'll let him use that.

I just wish I could see real technical information on how the NVS 120M stacks up to the 7400Go or 7800go for that matter.

To Sazar, yesturday I tried to place an order for an Latitude D620 and D820 and asked the operator to include the NVIDIA NVS graphics card. However he told me that it will take 2/3 months before the UK have this card available. I saw the card on the business section and even asked him that would it be possible to buy from the business section...he did not comment. But previously when i spoke to a Dell representative he stated I could buy from the business section. I dont know why there I could purchase so instead i chose a precision M65 because of the graphics option. This should not have happened but anyway any news on the latitude d420 and d520???

An fyi, there is a 14-21 day potential lead-time for these notebooks.

There should not be such a long delay but I don't have anything to do with the UK so I am not aware of their schedules and stuff.

If you are making a personal purchase, you typically will not be able to purchase from the business site, you would have to buy from the consumer segment.

In the US, the config tool is different (not very much so, just some option modules) so it is not possible for me to comment on uk items :(

GEN3RIC said:
I dont think I have an option. :( My college IT laptop services have a contract for Latitudes I think. Therefor regardless of what I told them, they wouldn't order whatever I wanted because the money is in my student loans, they just allocate $2,500 to a laptop and they also provide service for it if neccessary (not going to happen).

I might have to slip em a Washington :D

The only game I want to play really is Americas Army... chances are until my roommate gets a dedicated power rig I'll let him use that.

I just wish I could see real technical information on how the NVS 120M stacks up to the 7400Go or 7800go for that matter.

Fwiw, the video card I saw was running the ogre demo from nvidia perfectly fine so it is definitely sm 3.0 capable and probably has about the same juice as a 6800gt/ultra at the minimum.

Sazar said:
Fwiw, the video card I saw was running the ogre demo from nvidia perfectly fine so it is definitely sm 3.0 capable and probably has about the same juice as a 6800gt/ultra at the minimum.
That's good. I managed to find a review over at CNET that compared marks to the Acer "gaming" laptop with the X1600 256mb in it. The acer had 4900 3DMark05 marks and the D820 had about 2000. I would have to imagine that is because of the lack of GPU power, but after looking into it, that is more than enough power to play the one game I want to play.

http://www.nvidia.com/page/pg_20060203980805.html

Those are the official specs per nvidia.

For gaming purposes, the 64-bit memory controller is a major bottleneck but the rest of the specs seem adequate.

You should be able to game, 2000 3d marks is still a pretty good score.

It looks like Dell has taken the option module for the Dell Latitude D620 for the NVIDIA NVS graphics card(i checked UK and US websites, they state for better graphics such as open gl and direct x consider the precision m65). wonder why tho? anyway i have ordered my precision m65 and expecting it before the 27th april. I can not wait but i will post a review regarding the performance of the system but if the system is not for my requirements i am ordering another system as the dell latitude d820 since it gives me the option of the NVS card. I just wonder why they have used the integrated graphics for D620? is it because demand is high for the product and do not have any stocks left for the NVS 110m? It could be a key reason but i hope it is a small glitch in their servers otherwise some corporate customers will not be happy espcially those who require for mobility.

Yeah my boss mentioned he had no choice of GPU when we ordered a sample.
:s

I wonder why Dell has opted out the NVIDIA graphics card for the D620. I went today to check whether it could have been a mistake but found out that it is not. I think Dell are promoting the intel GMA 950 as it is low cost and uses less battery life compared to the NVIDIA. It looks like those who ordered it last week will be probably receiving it with the card whilst the rest prepare for a shock when they hear the integrated card option. Damn, it is unfair but it looks like dell could lose a few customers.

The quadro is a better all around solution for professional users than the firegl solutions from ati. I am also not aware of many low power firegl options for notebooks. This might be one way to do it.

With regards to the notebooks, the option does exist, I can see it clear as day on my configuration tool but it is a delayed option.

Sazar

Do you see the NVIDIA option on the D620? or on the D820? I do not see it on the D620. If I pick "Help Me Choose" I see the 110M and the 120M, but they are not selectable when I configure a D620.

Mark

Guys, like I said before, if you don't see the option on the website, CALL the reps and see if they can MANUALLY add the option for you.

I don't personally have any control over this. They might be able to assist you. I can't unfortunately.

-edit-

Actually, I think the sales people will only be able to offer the options you see on the website for the gfx card at the moment.

Calling them is unlikely to help :(

Last edited:

Its been nearly a two weeks and i have constantly checked the Dell website for UK and US and there is still no mention of the Nvidia NVS for the latitude d620. wonder why... what is the delay... is it because dell do not have enough supplies of the card. i asked a dell sales rep regarding ordering a business laptop such as latitude d620 or d820 with a graphics solution and one of them said yes i could and another stated i could not... what kind of joke is this? i was confused and also MS Vista is delayed till 2007.. i just want to know that if you purchase a laptop say within the next 2 months will they be able to operate the windows aero version? and will dell give an option to upgrade for the laptop that has been purchased six months ahead of schedule? Any info on the d420 and d520 as i have seen a demo that shows two laptops that still need to be announced on the latitude presentaion on the US website by having two blurry pictures with the words "TBA". Anyway the precision M65 should be with me within the next two weeks.

I think I heard June?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back