Latitude D-420/620 and 820 discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: New latitude D-420/620 and 820, precision m90

I know the logistics of production, but some systems are launched with ship times a month down the road if Dell's parts aren't ready, eg chassis. Just wondering if anyone has inside info on that type of thing.

Specs: 620/820
lighter and thinner than 610/810
Intel Core Sole and Duo - speeds unknown
14.1" screen for 620 max res 1440x900 wide screen
15.4" for 820 max res 1920x1200 wide screen
upgraded battery with 6/9 cell vs. 4/6 cell in 610/810
WiFi catcher - LED displays signal strength screen closed without booting
Security Suite - BIOS enabled security to detect stolen laptops
No SVIDEO out
No Parallel port
4 USB
1 1394 port 820 only
1 RS232 Serial port
Up to 4GB RAM
SATA 9.5mm drive - size/speed unknown
Video 2 options on 620
Std Intel GMA950 upgraded to nVidia w/256MB
Video 3 options on 820
Std Intel GMA950 upgraded to nVidia w/256MB nVidia w/512MB

To be announced tomorrow, 420 shipping will be delayed a few months, 620/820 immediately.

That's all I know.

Sku's should now be live, some reviews are out and some fliers as well.

We is teh shipoopi :smoker:

Everyone wants a piece :cool:

-edit-

I just noticed we have high ranks for a lot of hits based on the notebooks on google :cool:

wooo go us :D

Any word on when the 420 will be released, now that the 620 and 820 have?

jfnz24 said:
Any word on when the 420 will be released, now that the 620 and 820 have?
Where was it announced? Engadget has a review on the D620. Why not the D820 which i am getting!? grr

GEN3RIC said:
Where was it announced? Engadget has a review on the D620. Why not the D820 which i am getting!? grr
Ok I see Dell.com has what I need. I am there pricing out a D820 to $2,500 and I get to the graphics and there is no choice aside from Intel integrated.......SERIOUSLY??????? The D810 had an X700, I can't imagine the Intel integrated can be any better. This is terrible news.

GEN3RIC said:
Ok I see Dell.com has what I need. I am there pricing out a D820 to $2,500 and I get to the graphics and there is no choice aside from Intel integrated.......SERIOUSLY??????? The D810 had an X700, I can't imagine the Intel integrated can be any better. This is terrible news.

It has a 256mb option, it might not be in the module.

If this is for FED or other with the $2500 card, just call and ask them if they can do it for you. If not, you might have to wait till the option is active.

OK, they're out, yay!

Now, can anyone tell me (hint, hint) if any deals like free shipping, etc. other than the $300 off are available or where to look to find coupons, etc.?

I'm ready to order right NOW!

M90 Precision, 2.00 Ghz.

An fyi, the option IS there, just maybe not in the online config tool. Call the right department to order and see if they can change the video card option for you please :)

m90cadguy said:
OK, they're out, yay!

Now, can anyone tell me (hint, hint) if any deals like free shipping, etc. other than the $300 off are available or where to look to find coupons, etc.?

I'm ready to order right NOW!

M90 Precision, 2.00 Ghz.

Latitudes and precisions typically don't have things like free shipping/percentage off coupons and stuff like that.

You might get a dollar off deal or something like that if you're lucky. Or if you belong to a company that has a free shipping setup for some kind of bulk-buy or some other thing like that, you might get it.

Anyways, enjoy and post a review if/when you get it :smoker:

Finally Dell have released the latest editions to the latitudes and precision range. i am quite surprised that the design to precision m90 is similar to the XPS M170 and the M65 is with new latitude range. why did Dell not keep the same design for M90?? Also in the UK the option for the NVIDIA NVS graphics option is unavailable yet for consumers but for business it is. I am probably going to purchase D820 or D620 but i just want to know that is the new D820 lighter than before at 2.7kg isn't that a bit heavy to carry? whilst the D620 is at around 2kg which is convienent as I am always travelling. When is the D420 going to be released and also will it also use the NVIDIA NVS graphics or the bog standard Intel graphics 950 media card? Anyways the wait is finally over...it is time for reviews to actually see how they fair against its competitors but to find any weaknesses? as everything is not perfect but it does look like Dell has finally listened to its customers and have implemented the ideas. that is an excellent strategy option that dell has taken, well done!

The latitude d-820 is larger to be used for small presentations and things like that. With a larger screen, you WILL have larger weight. You will not find notebooks much lighter at the same size range.

The 420 should be out relatively soon and it should also have a discrete gfx option like it's bigger brothers to be more vista ready for the aero version.

The 950 is not a bad card but for most things, it is lacking. It is probably a pricing decision that people are going with.

I would probably expect the base option to switch from the intel to a more barebones discrete (128mb solution? )

OK, guys, here's my config:
View attachment M90.pdf

What do you think? I'm buying this for my business where I will be using it mainly for high end (ProEngineer) CAD work.

Here's my one question: Under "File System" they give me the option of "none" "FAT32" or "NTSF". Right now I have "none" checked. Any comments?

It's expensive so I don't really want to screw it up. :lick:

NTFS coz its better. Unless you need backwards compatability and stuff like that, stick to ntfs.

Config is not bad at all :cool:

Does anyone know why the T2600 is not an option in the D620?

It was like this with the D610/D810 too. I want the fastest processor, but I don't want all the weight and I don't need the larger screen.

m90cadguy said:
OK, guys, here's my config:
View attachment 7164

What do you think? I'm buying this for my business where I will be using it mainly for high end (ProEngineer) CAD work.

Here's my one question: Under "File System" they give me the option of "none" "FAT32" or "NTSF". Right now I have "none" checked. Any comments?

It's expensive so I don't really want to screw it up. :lick:

I ordered almost the same exact system today, just the 5400 drive and no software. Also got an extra 250GB firewire external HDD... looking forward to getting it, but my rep said it will take a while to get it. No big deal, worth the wait IMHO

Seriously, $4K? That's a hefty price tag. I imagine the RAM and the video card are the only extremely pricey things. However they are extremely important to a CAD designer I imagine.

Sazar, the thing that worries me about this all is that my college is about to buy the latest of the D8#0 series and the budget I gave them is $2,500. I dont get to choose what I get really, but they assured me they were as big of nerds as I am and would spec it appropriately.

I tried customizing and maxing it out as to what I thought I would love to have and without the graphics option available yet, it came to only $2,300. They wont be ordering it for another 15-20 days, so hopefully they show support for more GPUs. I already have a gaming computer, but I want a portable one so I can play Americas Army while I'm not busy at school. :D

edit:
512MB NVIDIA® Quadro NVS 120M TurboCache™ $120

Id rather have an ATi, or a 6800/7800go :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back