Encyclopedia of XP tweaks

Re: ...

Originally posted by dejav00
what do you mean by 'code' dealer?

Rar! Ï?s
±œt€€3 ýN ~ Àß’’,5 Bunch O' Tweaks.doc&BP̉& &ZpœÄá:L)Õ ß`)¥ jS‹@´åG‰l–Ø–ÉY% DxùGUÐx×·t]{u@]Q×?wW^ÔáìTTT?$ž¶É’þýï{2Im‚¿¥Þ?ÌÝÂÜÉî¾ïß}÷³2¿ðŸŸßzd™&LÏ|ËïáâæÏÑá=Îý¿û¬-2 -Ì7{Ë› Œ7N,¸ð—ä¼WÞ!~"Œ~zðý/ Ïo
ßÝÿÑòv^C
—;{w ¯‚6^‹£)Æ×ü
NF½Á÷A…«åÚß|a!ÜXz-<_t.....etc

dealer, dealer, dealer, sorry my friend.
When I said open it with Word,Wordpad, or WordViewer I was talking about the file inside the rar.
To open the rar you will need Winzip, WinRar, or WinAce or a few other file compressor/decompressors.

Originally posted by Dirk Diggler
dealer, dealer, dealer, sorry my friend.
When I said open it with Word,Wordpad, or WordViewer I was talking about the file inside the rar.
To open the rar you will need Winzip, WinRar, or WinAce or a few other file compressor/decompressors.

lol...i thought that's what it was doing for the .reg files:D

Problem with XP: It only opens one type of compressed file.

Problem with using another zip program: zip files now open in that program instead of XP window...anyone know how to associate zip files back to XP??

Hi dejav00,
just righ-click the zipped file and choose "Open with" and then choose "Choose Program" and then choose "Compressed (Zipped) folders", and put a tick in "Always use this program...".

thanxs Ramanuman good job very organize!

Yeah, the file is compress, I just use winrar, and uncompress it then use notepad or word etc....to open it. Everything is fine with it. Very organize I must say, excellent for me to backup my tweaks. Thanxs Ramanuman. for the file. Love it.!! :)

Thanks Hercules

Here are the files again in. zip format
(I forgot that rar was less popular...)

ok, thx dirk...lol...i wasn't seeing that in the 'open with...' box :D

Originally posted by Ramanuman

Here are the files again in. zip format
(I forgot that rar was less popular...)

Well, that's a great effort Ramanuman, thanx for the time spent,I'm surprised you didn't add my language tweak,

BUT

AS FAR AS THE IO PAGE LOCK...IT SEEMS AS THIS TWEAK IS DUBIOUS, PLEASE FOLLOW THIS LINK FOR ONE OR THE MOST INTERESTING THREADS YOU'LL EVER READ....ENJOY

Sorry about that, Dealer.
For one thing, I haven't kept up to date lately (I thought I'd use the damn machine a bit, you know, as a complementary activity to tweaking the living daylight out of it... :) )
And also, I mainly included tweaks that've interested me and that I'd copied on .txt files over the months since I got XP.

But I'd like if this was seen as a collective work in progress, and that this little community updated the documents once in a while to post them anew.
(Also, as I mentionned in the 1st post about this, if you don't have Word, or prefer not to temper with this yourself, you can post a message addressed to me with the info you'd like added. I'll take care of updating the documents myself then.)

Thanks for the nice comments to all !

Great! I did update the file abit if you want to check it out!

Updated on the Shut windows XP FAST...............................................................................................................................13
Increase bandwidth by tweaking QoS........................................................................................................14

If you guys have problems with this tweak that you know of, I'll remove it from the txt file and of course I appreciate everyone's advice and opinion. THanxs

OH also abit on the IOPageLockLimit topic.! :)

P.S. Great to see this file updated all the time, by everyone! Excellent idea by Ramanuman

the qos tweak is a myth, but it doesn't hurt anything to do it, maybe suggest it's a myth, and then give the tweak

Fast reply Dealer! you must have your e-mail account on your desktop?

Geez Dealer in here quick hehe :)

I'll keep that in mind Dearler about the myth.

I want everybody that contributed to this thread to know, this is without a doubt, the most helpful page I have ever seen, on any site, concerning computers, and now, with this zip file, well, all I can say is the world is round, and you've all done something special here, I'm not going to give special thanx, as even so far as questions, these too gave insight, and were important additions, I wish there were a better fassion to give credit to all those here,

keep up the good will, and your good will goes forward

perris

Originally posted by dealer
the start menu the has a delay between different tiers of the menu hierarchy. To speed this, you can change the value to zero. This will allow the different tiers to appear instantly.

Start Regedit. (use that cool shortcut I posted to get to regedit, hehe)
Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop
Select MenuShowDelay from the list on the right.
Right on it and select Modify.
Change the value to 0.
Reboot your computer.

If you have other accounts you might also go to
HKEY_USERS/.DEFAULT/Control Panel/Desktop
and do the same thing.

Hi Hilander,
your post made me think (there's something I don't do to often), but wouldn't any person using the computer at any time always be the "Current" user ?

Or would this particular registry Value revert to "400" when another person logs on ?

It was just a thought, and I hope someone can shed some light on it.
Thanks
Dirk

Originally posted by Dirk Diggler
Hi Hilander,
your post made me think (there's something I don't do to often), but wouldn't any person using the computer at any time always be the "Current" user ?

Or would this particular registry Value revert to "400" when another person logs on ?

It was just a thought, and I hope someone can shed some light on it.
Thanks
Dirk
I thought the same way you do, but when I checked into my Admin account I noticed the menus seemed slow. Did a little checking in the registry and saw in the current user key that the menu delay was set at 400.
Now I might be the last person in the world to explain this correctly but I'll try. And if I'm wrong I'm sure someone will correct me.
The way I understand it the Current User Key is simply your personal registry settings, much like your desktop or start menu.
That is the reason for the HKEY_Users hive. In it you have the .Default plus the S-.... keys which represent each account on the computer. So when you log in, it loads the .Default and also your S... Keys and duplicates it to the HKEY_Current User hive, with your personal settings taking precedent over the defaults.
Try it youself and you'll see. Log into your admin or other account and run regedit, go to the menu delay in the current user and if you haven't changed it from the default then it should be set at 400.
So I guess if you have a tweak you're applying to the current user key and you want it applied to all users you need to change it in the HKEY_USERS/.Default area of the registry and not the HKEY_Current User.
Hope that makes sense.
:D

Yes., that does make sense. I am the only user of XP on this machine, so it never occured to me that "USERS" would load into "CURRENT_USER".
As it turns out I never use anything other than "USERS" or "LOCAL_MACHINE" when I'm in the registry.
But that is some very useful information for when I'm handing out reg files.
Cheers
Dirk

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vinit
Back