Encyclopedia of XP tweaks

here's an easy one...when you want to get into safe mode, just go to msconfig, hit boot.ini, then hit safe boot....then hit that very cool restart shortcut....voiala...safe mode, you have to bring up msconfig,while in safe, and switch back to normal for your next boot

ok, got a lot of people emailing me about how effective that browsing tweak was, so here's another idea,which I believe mnosteele originally posted, and again, I'm not at all knowledgeable when it comes to your internet connections, so as always, back up that registry...ok, here's the tweak, with an explanation;

There was a bad fujimentaion in windows 2000 that would cause the scheduled tasks folder to be searched when ever the user would browse network drives. Microsoft found a fix for this fujitzsoo. The fix fixed the bad fujimentation, AND IT ALSO HAD A NICE SIDE AFFECT of speeding up browsing of Microsoft networks. Below are instructions how to apply the fix.

1. hit the very cool regedit shortcu, and Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft/Windows/Current Version/Explorer/RemoteComputer/NameSpace.

3. Find a key named {D6277990-4C6A-11CF-8D87-00AA0060F5BF}.
4. Right click on it and delete it.
5. Restart

Hmm, don't have that key

This is the only key I have in that location, do I delete this one??

{2227A280-3AEA-1069-A2DE-08002B30309D}

I follow your instructions.:D

hey herc, I'm guessing if you don't have the key mentioned, microsoft updated the registry, and it's not in yours, it was in mine, and it did seem to help, so, unless a real expert on internet settings tells you otherwise, I'd not delete anything differant then that exact key... l

yeah, dealer, I only have the same key that Hercules has, so I guess you are right, that Micro$oft must have included that registry change/fix/tweak in one of its online updates. seems kinda nice that MS actually did something for the consumer for a change. :)

I had the revised key, I did delete it after backing up just in case.

My web browsing sped up very noticably, especially when spawn pages from pages.

So even though the keys seem different maybe just a disguise! I have had no side effects and appreciate the increased firmness of IE.

Tks.

Browsing Speed Tweak

Dirk, in this post you said create a text file.. when i right click on there right in the Parameters folder. i don't see the option for a text file. it says new string value, and all other values.. please help

When you connect to a web site your computer sends information back and forth. Although WinXP and win2000 has a pretty efficient DNS cache, you can increase its overall performance by increasing its size.

You can do this with the registry entries below:

************begin copy and paste***********
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servi
ces\Dnscache\Parameters]
"CacheHashTableBucketSize"=dword:00000001
"CacheHashTableSize"=dword:00000180
"MaxCacheEntryTtlLimit"=dword:0000fa00
"MaxSOACacheEntryTtlLimit"=dword:0000012d

************end copy and paste***********

make a new text file and rename it to dnscache.reg. The copy and paste the above into it and save it. Then merge it into the registry.

ok, what dirk means, is cut the area within his marks,(if you don't know how to do this, don't be embarrased to ask)...then open notepad, or whatever program you like where you can paste what you cut...then hit edit, hit all, hit save as, and when you name it, it has to say " .reg " at the endof it...that's windows fujism, which tells windows that it goes in the registry, usually, all you have to do is double click the file, now the easiest location to put it, would be on your desktop, then you just doubleclick it, and it should merge, when you're done, take it off your desktop, and do whatever you want with it

Crapito help

Crapito, how do i remove this once i installed it?
thanks

hey morpheus2k , I've done one of those tweaks/customizations. actually... I've made several. wanna see? I've attached a file, "scream_branding.rar", which shows an example.

Attachment: scream_branding.rar
This has been downloaded 7 time(s).

how to change your "temp" directory.

ok, this is a tweak I just kinda made up. I have no doubt there are easier ways to do this, I just don't know what they are...

after searching through my registry, I found 4 paths that control where Windows stores non-internet temp files. I don't know if everyone will have the same paths, as 3 of the 4 are in the HKEY_USERS section, but these are the 4 paths that I had to change:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Environment]
[HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Environment]
[HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-19\Environment]
[HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-20\Environment]

if you notice, all 4 have the Environment path in common, which is obviously the important part here. in each of these 4 keys, there should be 2 options:

"TEMP"=
"TMP"=

I didn't put what I changed then to, or what they originally were, cause even if you wanted your new temp folder to go to like I do, the keys need to be in hex, so you really need to use Regedit to change the values to how you want them. of course, once you change them to something satisfactory, then you can export the values to a REG file and have it saved for future reference.

anyway... I changed them, rebooted, and now Windows uses a different temp folder than before. in case you wonder why I went through the trouble, my Windows partition is only 4gb total, and my DUP-DVD program needs like 6gb of temp space to turn a dvd into a vcd. I couldn't figure out how to tell the program to change folders, so I used regedit and told Windows to change. nice, eh? :)

Hi crapito,
have a look in your registry to this address:-

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Environment

I would be surprised if you didn't have it, or how about this one:-

HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-###################\Environment

This last one might not be there on yours, but its always there on my system.

Don't think for one second that I was knocking your post. Anyone that posts registry tweaks is cool in my book. Its just that, I can't see that HKEY_LOCAL one not being there.

Hey dealer,
thanks for replying to lilsnoop for me, I'm not getting any email's from replies. Its a pain in the bum, not getting them.
I was a little fujied by your answer though:-

"cut the area within his marks,then open notepad, or whatever program you like where you can paste what you cut...then hit edit, hit all"

Copy would be the better option, but its this bit "hit all" that has me fujimoxed??

Dirk: I just searched my entire registry for "environment" and found that path you indicated...

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Session Manager\Environment]

and another, very similar one...

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Control\Session Manager\Environment]

I changed these to my new default temp directory, but seeing as my previous mod worked, at least for that one program I was trying to fix, maybe these are superfluous. beats me... thanks, though, for your feedback and input.

To change your temp directory:

System Properties / Advanced Tab / Environment Variables button

Why make life difficult?

ahh... allan, thanks for the quicker, easier method. I knew one existed, but I didn't know what it was or where to find it. thanks!

Start -> Control Panel -> System -> Advanced -> Environmental Variables

Why, because this is TweakXP thats why. Don't do things the way Bill Gates wants you to. Were here to tweak so tweak we will.

Thanks for the plug DD, but actually that's not where we are ;)

So let me see if I've figured this out - this thread is for you hackers, not us simple-mindid folk? Ahhhh - now I see.:)

Originally posted by allan
Thanks for the plug DD, but actually that's not where we are ;)

So let me see if I've figured this out - this thread is for you hackers, not us simple-mindid folk? Ahhhh - now I see.:)

HUH?

is DD kicking "the ALLAN", of alternate universe accomplishments de force, off this incredible thread?

HUH?

:Dallan I may be getting on a bit but I'm not blind just yet:D

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back