Encyclopedia of XP tweaks

hey everyone on this string...going to visit my folks, not gonna make too many posts, as they have no internet, and my dialup isp has a ten hour...anyway,

ramanuman

, I went thru your zip yesterday, and I know you said it's a work in progress, but here's something to fix right away...your registry hacks don't offer spaces or arrows between referances, ie.hkey>...etc, not for those of us here,we get it, but my vision is that file will become an important tool for beginners, so, I'd be more aware of writng for the beginner, rather then the experienced....I love that file, and soon, we'll get waddy to post it as a permanent download

Hey Dirk, good to see you...I think it's apparent, most of the important tweaks are well addressed, and this thread will probably be slowing down, before it does, you've just authored some incredible new tweeks, to do with the menu off of the recycle bin...I'd love to see those in this zip file, they're very good, and I think will become part of everybodys box if they know about them

They could always go over there and get them if they wanted them. They are not gonna dissapear in a few days, I shall bump them up every now and again.
Its just that I prefer them to be out there in the open, where everyone can see them.
Of course I can't stop anyone from putting them into the zip if they wanted to.

I hope you have a good holiday when you go to your parents.
See you later
Dirk

OK, I'll be working on the zip and it should be updated within a few hours. (Actually, I'm somewhat busy today. So maybe it'll only be ready tomorrow...)

-In any case, just keep on sending me new tweaks or info you'd like to be included, and I'll try to update it regularly.

Dealer, I've taken note of your suggestions.
Thanks.

Hercules, you said you added some info, but I can't open the zip you posted (corrupted)... It could be just me, but in any case, would you mind posting the info here ? And I'll add it again myself to the riginal.
----------------------------------------

One last question : I didn't include any mention of authorship in the original files. What do the known authors of the tweaks think about it ?
Should I start doing it ?

Be back soon

If you want your XP machine to shut down a little faster, try this:

Windows XP has the service shutdown time set to 20000 ms which equals 20 secs. To change this go to regedit and change this key-

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SYSTEM\\CurrentControlSet\\Control\\WaitToKillServiceTimeout

setting it to 5-10sec should do the trick (that would be 5000-10000)

I set mine to 2000 and it shuts down a lot faster now.

I guess there's no urgency, but here's a slightly updated version already.

-Added a couple tweaks
-Corrected where there were no spaces in the registry addresses
-Added bits about the IoPageLockLimit and qos tweaks
-Added a bit about backing up the registry
-Corrected the "Disable CD Autoplay" tip. (The original required TweakUI)

At some point I'll probably go about organizing all the info in categories too.

But for now I've got to go.

Nice day to all.

Hi Ramanuman,
I think it would be polite to add the authors name to the appropriate tweak. Some people go to great lengths to help others out and they would appreciate a little mention to acknowledge their work. Obviously some of the tweaks are not authored by the person you got the tweak off, but I'm sure the real author if they saw it would let you know if you made an error.

Ok, this is not a tweak, but an easier fasion to delete and reinstall i.e... Now according to experts, this is not actually supposed to delete i.e., but it did a fine repair in mine,so, I'm assuming it'll work for some of you..I think it's the esiest way to do it, so try this, if you have some i.e.problems

To go about uninstalling and reinstalling Internet Explorer. To do this, go to the Control Panel and select Add/Remove Programs. Click on Add/Remove Windows Components. Remove the checkmark for Internet Explorer then click Next. This will uninstall Internet Explorer. This may take a few minutes to complete. Click Finish. Go back into the Add/Remove Windows Components then add the check mark back to Internet Explorer and click next. This will reinstall the program. This works on my box, and I'm assuming it'll work on others...don't try this unless you have the disk, where you'd use the disk if ie didn't reinstall on it's own. See if this fixes the your i'e problems when you're in a quandry.

dealer:
I'd think that would work real well-it did on the Win9x. Used to do it all the time for Windows components, didn't think it would with XP just cause they went through all the trouble to have a recover console and SFC.
I'll keep that in mind for when/if I need it!:cool:
Oh have a great time at the parents :D

hi, highlander, well, you're right, this isn't really going to uninstall ie, but it did a fine repair on mine, so, it's simple enough to try before you do a full repair...by the way, for those of you that believe this doesn't actually uninstall ie, well, just to play, I removed ie with this method, then trie d to use ie, it wouldn't work, the, of course, I reinstalled, and it worked fine, so, obviously, something is being dissabled when you do this removal, and as I said, it worke fine for me as a repair

Well Waddy is going to post the zip as a permanent download, everybody that contributed here should be very happy with themselves, I certainly am.

I know before I said it wouldn't be fair to give special thanx to anyone, but some of you contributed so much, like you ramanuman, for wrighting the zip among other things, like you dirk, for a couple of original never before seen ideas that are now in the zip, and staying with the thread from beginning to end, of course, for those of you that made sure the posts were acurate...and kept the thread going...even those that responded on the thread with a simple thankyou, that's what made the effort so much fun, so, hey, there's still bound to be new things that pop up, so 'HERE'S TO OUR WORK IN PROGRESS'

Guyz thanx for compilin da zip file its a great resource. Much better than hunting the web 4 tweaks n stuff.

I understand that, Dirk. But since I've first copied the tips in that form, without any info on origins, I don't know where they come from. That's why I'd like if the authors added their names themselves. Or if someone else knows who some of the authors are, they could also do it.
-I'll try to correct this for future add-ons, though.

Once again, sorry about that to all the unnamed authors.

well, I know i was the first person to put a target on the system restore, and the registry...but not neccessary in my case for authorship:D

When the zip becomes a permanent download, will we still be able to update it ?

yes, you'll still be able to pm waddy, or our mayor, or ep, and they'll update it

Good.
-I keep working at it. And I should come up with a version that's got all the tips and tweaks organized in categories soon.
:p

To Dirk Diggler and all the others here who may have authored some of the tips & tweaks included in the zip :
-If you want, please send me a private message telling me which come from you. I'll add notes to that extent.

After all, my making these files was a way of giving back a little from what I got from you guys. So 'tis the least I can do.

To dealer,
sorry mate, I've only just found all those "Private Messages". So if your wondering why I didn't reply, thats the reason.
As far as I can see there's no indication that they exist, other than physically looking. And since I didn't expect any, I didn't look.
Again sorry.
Dirk

Below values

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\ServiceProvider

On the right change these entries: (ALL values are HEXIDECIMAL)

DnsPriority 7
HostsPriority 6
LocalPriority 5
NetbtPriority 8

Have you tried lower values for these? What if they were set to 0 or 1? I haven't tried 0 or 1, but just wondered what the significance is of these particular values?
The tweak works great!!
Thanks Dealer

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vinit
Back