Encyclopedia of XP tweaks

i did that, but when im in internet explorer and press f or g it dosent so anything !??

If you put g as the prefix and

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=%s

as the shortcut then in your browser address bar you just type g + search term to do a search.

example:

I press alt-d then enter "g ntfs" hit enter and it will do a search for ntfs in google for me

Hi..haven't posted anything in here to share, but I though this tweak may have been posted before.

Create a shortcut to the Send To folder
(C:\Documents and Settings\_yourusername_\SendTo). Name it a decriptive name eg. "Add to SendTo"

Put the shortcut in that folder.

Now when you rightclick a file, folder, or other item, and then point to Send To... click the Add to SendTo menu item and the item you right clicked will be added to this menu. This is good when you do printing...right click a file and click Printer in this SendTo menu.

is there any chance anyone could re-post the html doc with all the tweaks on it ? :)

or is it still in here and i'm just not looking hard enough ? :(

Click on Tweaks in my Sig and it will take you to the html doc. :happy:

Hope this helps you

Alan

I like this tweak alot;

open a folder, go to view, hit customize this folder...

choose a picture.

great looking folder now, instead of the drab folder looking folder

Here's a great tip, for people like me, that are always going back to a particular website;

open two windows at the same time...have them each take up half the screen.

now, you can always refresh the page that gets new content, and you can serf from the other window.

also, if there is a link on one page that you want to visit, you can just drag the link over to the other page, and this way, keep the original page, and work on that, while the link loads in the other window

this from here on shall be known as "mega serf"

Originally posted by dealer
Here's a great tip, for people like me, that are always going back to a particular website;

open two windows at the same time...have them each take up half the screen.

Nice. Any sites in particular? :cool:

EDIT BY DEALER
ha...since I'm gonna close this thread when we reach 1000, I'm gonna spam right on your post...hehehe

yes...the site that I always have open is

spammers paradise

tons of fun...you shold try that one yourself

here's one of my favorite tweaks

it seemed to stop working in xp for me, but since I went sp1, it's working again.

instead of control +n for a new browser window, just hold the shift key, and hit the link

this doesn't work for your favirites, but it works for the links on a page.

I love this trick

this is going to be sweet for anybody running less then 512 ram, and surely, everyone running less then 256.

if you have less then 512mbs of ram, the following might be the biggest ingle tweak you can do in speading your box

first, the principle, and then the tweak;

it's absolutely impossible for human beings to tell the differance between the 65,000 colors available at the the High Color (16 Bit) setting and the 16 million colors available with 24 Bit color

absolutely impossible

therefore;

right click on your desktop>properties>settings

ok, I suggest everybody try this, even if you have an abundance orf ram... as I don't believe any human can detect the differance in normal computing.

grapghic experts, excuse yourself here, as you won't want to make these changes;

go to color quality, change from highest if that is what you have set, to medium.

I'm telling you, just about nobody can tell the differance in quality until they are doing graghics...and even then.

now, if you are unning your box severly low on ram, go ahead and lower this setting furhter

this is going to release some resources for other uses.

i do lots of graphic crap, and i can tell, even just looking but that might just be me (im weird)

correct b mann...graphic experts might notice a differance...but that'll be in their personal work, or that work they are intimate with.

nevertheless, this is a tweak everybody should take a look at, as the speed differance could be abundant

correct b mann...graphic experts might notice a differance...but that'll be in their personal work, or that work they are intimate with.

nevertheless, this is a tweak everybody should take a look at, as the speed differance could be abundant

Hi dealer,

I tried this and must agree with b_man, there is quite a notable difference, specially with my Break-out icons, makes them all jaggered around the edges.

I have plenty of RAM 768Mb, so this little tweak is no good to me, but as you explained it would help computers with less than 256 of RAM to free some much needed resources.

Keep them coming thou dealer, and don't even think of closing this thread when it reaches 1000;)

You have Sooooooooo much to learn us ;)

Alan

I hate(*) to be pedantic but what you have infact created in the 'Mega Serf' is some kind of medieval definition of the local population, for example a Baron might say to his taxman:

"In my Kingdom (as far as the eye can see...) I have 6.3 Mega Serfs providing me an annual income of 43 goats, 12 horses, 8 donkeys, 95 sheep and 400 bushels of corn."

What I presume you meant was: Mega Surf.

Mubbers

(*) Actually not true!

thanx alan...we'll see...the time is coming soon.

anyway, are you sure you are going from high(32 bit) to normal?(16 bit)

it's hard to believe you can find the differance here...now if you're going lower then that. yes.

anyway...you are right, with your amount of ram, the speed differance will probably not be noticed, so you should skip this.

and now, for another tweak;

when you drag an icon from one foledr to another, if the folder is on the same drive, then all ypou are doing is changing the pointer location, and not actually moving the file or program.

if you want to actually move the program or file, just hold the right click when you drag.

when you release, you will be given the option to copy, move, or create another shortcut....if you want to actually hardwrite the information to the new file location, just hit move.

this is not beneficial in most cases, and it is slow, but that's how to do it

thanx alan...we'll see...the time is coming soon.

anyway, are you sure you are going from high(32 bit) to normal?(16 bit) it's hard to believe you can find the differance here...now if you're going lower then that. yes.

Have a look at the screenshots.......I think I followed the instructions OK :confused:

The screenshots are not the best in the world, but you can see what I mean ;)

dt1.jpg

dt2.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vinit
Back