Encyclopedia of XP tweaks

alan...thanx for posting those screenshots for me on another thread.

ya...the differance is noticeable, ,ostly on the recycle bin.

too bad...good speed improvement, but at a price.so therer is a visual price to pay.

some might think the speed improvement warants this, some not.

thanx again

allright...I'm going to give you three tweaks in one;

first, to open the internet options dialougue, this is very sweet;

hit alternate+t+o...ha...this is a new one for me;I love this one...an easy way to remember this is alternatesounds like internetrnet, t stands for tools, o stands for options.

ok, now use that cool shortcutand adjust your history settings for your personal use..go one way or the other...higher or lower then the 20 day default

I use the history almost every day.

but, I don't like this file getting too old or big.

I clear this file every five days, and this is basically a setting where the history will purge when ot gets too big.

now, some of you might like to lave the history for longer then the default, which is 20 days.

take your pick, which one you use;

tools>internet options>general.

here, you can set your preferance on how long to keep the history.

now, here's a little trick that most people miss.

you don't have to scroll down, looking for the site, if you know the name.

just hit the search button that is right there in the history toolbar...very nice.

for those of you that don't think you need a big history referance, my suggestion is 3 to 5 days.

Hey...I know a tweak...

Drag any one folder to one side of the screen and it will become a
toolbar...you can also have it so that it autohides automatically by right clicking on the toolbar and clicking autohide..

I know that this has been around...I have used it when I had windows 98.

I currently use it for the My Computer folder, My Documents and the Microsoft Office shortcut folder from the Start Menu.

well, we're getting close to 1000 posts on this thread...gonna lock it up.

feel free to spam, question and comment on these last few tweaks s they are written, but be warned, I'll be deleting as neccessary, the new posts that aren't tweaks, so, as I said, feel free to comment, but please don't be alarmed when the comments are removed for content later on.

now, one of my favorite tweaks.

giving your browser a personality that no one else has...when anyone sees your browser page, the will ask you if you can do it to there computer.

desktop, right click, propeties, appearance, advanced.

allright, the first thing you have to know, is nothing you change here will work unless you set the first button to classic windows...so that's the first thing to change...go ahead, and apply...fear not...we're cutomizing from here.

after you've done this, hit advanced.

hit the item scroll down, and the first thing you want to change is the active title bar.

first, you can make it smaller, but you need smaller fonts to do that, so you need to pick out the font that suits your personality, and the size...then go ahead and reduce the width of the title bar as far as will go...as I said, you are restricketed to the minimum of your font size here...also choose the color of the text...mine is a neopn green...apply

now, in the same box, pick your colors one and two...this will be the fade effect you see, and I love this...lots of color combinations to play with

make similar adjustments to the innactive windwo, but change it up, so there's an indication wich window windows is on...this is incredibly handy, and it is not a default, so this tweak servs allot more then appearance...it's great functuonality too.

as I posted before, you can widen the scroll bar from the menue also, and that makes scrolling with the mouse quite a bit easier, so try that too.

ok, there are ather features to customize, but these are my favorites...go ahead and play.

do yourself a favor, before you make any cange, go ahead and write down the setting everything came from...but for most of the changes, you can just go back to the main window, and hit xp default, and most of your changes are returned.

have alot of fun with this...this is great

Hey guys, what's up ? :)

Wow, this place has changed! Are the tweaks still rolling in ?

Originally posted by Ramanuman
Hey guys, what's up ? :)

Wow, this place has changed! Are the tweaks still rolling in ?

Where have you been? :p

Originally posted by o_87
Where have you been? :p
Hey, nice to see you. :happy:

I've been very busy with work and school, for one thing.
But I stopped posting here because I kinda lost interest in tweaking at some point. -Not much time to do it, plus my pc is running rather smooth now.

I also have to confess I've been unfaithful to this board : I post here, in the bass forum section, since I've become a lot more involved in music this year. (Hope you won't think me a traitor... :( )

What's up in these parts ?
Dealer sent me a copy of the tweak document in the new format. -Looks good. :)
Have you guys been keeping it up to date ?
I distribute it around whenever I meet people interested in making their XP more efficient.

Ramanuman!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

great to see you

no, I don't think the doc is up to date, since we moved to ntfs.

it'd be alot to ask zallood to rewrite the code.

maybe speedy b will do it for ntfs

anyway, in a coupla days, I'm gonna delete these coupla posts...hope you don't mind, but I'm locking this thread up at 1000

anyway, keep the dialougue going...it's fine, I''ll just delete the dialougue when I need some extra room..

great to see you, ramanuman

Originally posted by dealer
. . . it'd be alot to ask zallood to rewrite the code.

Dealer,

Should you wish, I don't have any problem at all to rewrite/update the document for NTFS as long as you give me the guidelines and pointers of what needs to be updated. In fact, I have the new NTFS theme templates ready for the document.
Let me know.

ZALOOD, YOU ARE THE MAN

I will reserve the last post for your work...I'll give you whatever I can, and plenty of time.

thanx allot...I was embarrassed to ask

...I was embarrassed to ask

Don't be . . I always be at your (and NTFS) service :).
Will start working on it and await your guidelines.

Originally posted by Ramanuman
Hey, nice to see you. :happy:

I've been very busy with work and school, for one thing.
But I stopped posting here because I kinda lost interest in tweaking at some point. -Not much time to do it, plus my pc is running rather smooth now.

I also have to confess I've been unfaithful to this board : I post here, in the bass forum section, since I've become a lot more involved in music this year. (Hope you won't think me a traitor... :( )

What's up in these parts ?
Dealer sent me a copy of the tweak document in the new format. -Looks good. :)
Have you guys been keeping it up to date ?
I distribute it around whenever I meet people interested in making their XP more efficient.

ahh, okay. :) I was wondering about you the other day...'cause I didn't see you on the boards for a loooong time.

Here is the updated zip file.
Feel free to let me know if there are any tips/tweaks that need to be included or any other revision to be done.

Enjoy.

my suggestion, use the following shortcut now...I think it'll become a mainstay, once you use it once or twice.

here it is;

hit alt+d

now, just start typing an address, and you're there...big savings in time, now you don't have to aim the mouse at the address bar ever again

you can also press the F4 key and the address bar drops down giving you the list of the previous sites there too. Pressing F4 twice brings the list down, then hides it, leaving you able to type

How many people actually use their homepage on MSIE? if you change the shortcut details of MSIE from:

"C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE"

to

"C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE" -nohome

MSIE loads über fast and you get a blank screen from which you can then load your chosen site. If you want the homepage... just click "Home" :)

when i was reading this i felt like you guys kept posting, and i would never catch up to you, but then i realized, im just way,.. way,.. way,.. (....) way behind.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vinit
Back