Encyclopedia of XP tweaks

I'm talking to the member above your post, and what I meant is, form his description, I think I can do that through the gui...that's why I want to see a screenshot of what he'd like us to try...it sounds interesting though

Yah dealer I think your right. the same thing can be achived by right clicking the start button-properties-customize-advanced tab

dealer........

links added to my original post above about expanding menu

Reading about fonts in another thread here are are tip and a tip/tweak to this topic.

Tip: Previewing fonts (only for installed fonts)
Open the Fonts folder and choose View/Preview. Move the mouse pointer over a font name, and a pop-up shows you 'The Quick Brown Fox Jumps' in the font.

Tip/Tweak: How to temporarily install a font
Since it is not recommendable to install too many, better store your collected fonts somewhere else. If you want to use one of these only for one session simply doubleclick on it and minimize the window that pops up. Windows now thinks this font is installed and it is available in any application you open.

want to see all the cookies? ;

windows key+r, type cookies.

if you think you can decpher what's in the cookie, just double click on it...if you see a cookie you don't like, just delete it

this is old, but I don't think it was posted yet, so here it is.

suppose you have a favorite aftermarket program you like loading files with...like winam, or whatever.

instead of using "open with' you should set it to always open with the program you prefr.

highlight the file, right click, go to open with, but this time, browse for the program, even if the program is in the drop down list.

in the window that pops up, you will now highlight the program of preferance, and put a check in the box that says "always open this type of file with this porogram"

done

Not sure if this has been posted . .

To get a screenshot of your screen:
press [PrtSc] > open Paint > [ctrl+v]

To capture active windows only:
press [alt+PrtSc] > open Paint > [ctrl+v]

Find this useless tip somewhere else:
press [winkey+r] > type osk > hit enter
(Hopefully we will never have to use this feature . . )

Dealer,

You might wish to review the web version of zip file, its available on the same address where you d/l freeware doc.
Hope you like it . .

thanx zalood..also, that's a great post, for those who don't know how to post screenshots.

I do not believe I have seen that posted before, so thanx

http://www.uksecurityonline.com/husdg/wxpp2.php

has some pretty good security tweaks. Heres an example of one:

Close port 445 TCP/UDP by disabling NetBT in Device Manager
OK, one particularly pesky little port is TCP Port 445. This has much of the functionality of Port 139 and can be a serious security risk. Please note that this is required if you are using the Microsoft Client and making outbound drive mapping type connections to other Windows computers on your network (i.e. using File and Print Sharing).
You can firewall it, but it's much better (and safer) to get rid of it. It is quite safe to stop this listening port if you never use your PC to map drives to another Windows computer or if you are not sharing any of your folders with another computer (the highly recommended option for home users!!!).
The easiest way to stop TCP 445 is via the Regedit.exe Registry Editor program.
Please be very careful when using this since you can cause serious damage to your computer configuration if you make a mistake. To access this click - Start | Run and type "regedit". This will pop up the Registry Editor as follows:

My Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\NetBT\Parameters

1. Click the + icon by the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE option
2. Click the + by SYSTEM
3. Click the + by CurrentControlSet
4. Click the + by Services
5. Scroll down to the NetBT option and click the + sign to open the drop-down
6. Select Parameters
7. In the right-hand window pane you will now see an option called TransportBindName
8. Double click this option and a box will open with the value data field of \Device\

9. Delete this entry so the field is blank and click OK
10. Reboot your PC and then when you go to a command shell and type "Netstat -AN" you will see that the port TCP 445 will have stopped listening.
If you are not using Windows File and Print Sharing (and most home users shouldn't be) then Ports 135,137,138 and 139 should not be visible either. Port 135 is turned off by disabling the services mentioned in our section on services, by disabling Distributed Com (DCOM) as mentioned in the next section and by stopping the Microsoft Client as mentioned in the section on Cleaning Up Network Bindings. That section also explains how to stop 137-139 from listening.

Netstat -AN was a cool command I learned here...

Heres another must do:

Renaming the Administrator (Owner) Account

Renaming the Administrator account is often held up as a panacea solution to deal with crackers. It is not! Crackers can use the SID to find the name of the account and hack that instead since the "real" Administrator account always has the easily identifiable 500- starter. However, it will make it more difficult and if you have followed our other advice to create a next to impossible to crack "real" Administrator password and you never use that account,

This is how you do it!

This is only valid for Windows XP Professional: VERY IMPORTANT - DO THIS STRAIGHT AWAY!

Where?

Administrator Tools | Computer Management | Local Users and Groups | User folder --> Right click "Administrator" and select "Rename." Do NOT disable this account. You may need it someday but definately disable the Guest account!

This is only valid for Windows XP Home: VERY IMPORTANT - DO THIS STRAIGHT AWAY!

Everyone on XP Home, by default, has Administrator privileges and the User name is "Owner."

If one person knows that then so does everyone else on the planet!

Change the name and password your account.

How?

Start | Control Panel | User Accounts | Choose "Owner" | Select "Change my name."

Also, you should (MUST) place a password on your account.

How?

Start | Control Panel | User Accounts | Choose "Owner" (or what ever account you named it above) --> Select "Create a password."

That's it

Renaming the Administrator account will usually stop script kiddies in the tracks and will annoy more determined crackers. When they first try to gain acccess, and assuming you have reasonable security, crackers will not know what the inherit or group permissions are for an account. They will try to hack any local account and then discover more information using that account. If you rename the account, do not to use the word 'Admin" in it's name since it will make it too easy again. Pick something unusual that doesn't sound important.

Unlike other Accounts, the Administrator user account cannot be locked out, unless you use passprop.exe as we detail in the relevant section. Typically, this means that people can try as many times as they like to crack this account. To make this more difficult, rename your administrative account to something else. Make it an innocuous name, change the account description to "User account," enter a very long (50+ up to 104 characters) and as difficult to guess a password as possible. Write the password down on a piece of paper and keep it somewhere safe. In most cases you will not need this again.

Never share this password with others and do not leave the paper anywhere where others might see it. Use the default Administrator account, which in Windows XP does not lock after excessive bad logon attempts, only for emergency access. Create an Administrator account that you use for installing programs (make sure you have a logon name that doesn't give away its purpose) and follow the advice on strong passwords in the section on passwords. Do not use any administrator account for every day logon access; make sure you create a normal user account for working. Preferably only use your newly created administrator account when offline.

Another alternative is that instead of operating with an Administrative account at all times, Windows XP allows you to use a normal account for your day-to-day activities (mail, memos, etc), but perform administrative tasks buy using RUNAS functionality.

This will allow you to run applications and utilities that require administrative rights without having to logoff and log back on (as you would have with previous versions of Windows NT). Thus, if you're normal account is hacked; the intruder is still not capable of fully controlling your system. This is explained below:

RUNAS [/profile] [/env] [/netonly] /user:<UserName> program

An example may then be bringing up a command shell as administrator. You would type the following command.

runas /user:mymachine\administrator cmd

You will then be prompted for the administrator password.

You can run any program in this manner just by going Start, Run and then typing the command. The program will run in the administrator context with those privileges.

This last part I found real interesting as well. I've seen some of you get locked out of the administrator account in windows xp...this might get you around that...

that's a great post, leedog...lots of information.

well, I'll be back in n.y. tomorrow, and I'll try to finnish this thread up when I get home, in the mean time, here's something usefull for ms word;

in word, whenever you enter either an email address, or url, it'll show an Underline....if you don't like that, this nwill permanently dissable the feature;

Tools / AutoCorrect / AutoFormat As You Type ...
Uncheck Internet and network paths ...

ok, there are a few pages of the keyboard shortcuts, and when you read them, we all think...whoe..cool, but then we forget to try them.

this is one of those shortcuts that I never remembered to use, and now that I am, it's great.

my suggestion, use the following shortcut now...I think it'll become a mainstay, once you use it once or twice.

here it is;

hit alt+d

now, just start typing an address, and you're there...big savings in time, now you don't have to aim the mouse at the address bar ever again

If you want to know what those tweaking programs is doing on your registry . .
Before you do anything export your registry and name it as old.reg . . do the tweaking . . again . . export your registry and name it as new.reg.

To make it easy save both files in your system root directory, then RUN CMD and change directory by typing CD\ . . once you're there, type fc old.reg new.reg > anyfile.txt. Exit CMD and find anyfile.txt in your root directory, open anyfile.txt . . you will see all the changes made by the tweaking programs.

This also handy when you want to trace your registry change when instaling new program.
FC (file compare) is an old DOS command that still exist in XP.

verry verry handy zalood...way better then using a registry compare program...nice

I just put my temporary internet files on my desktop...

2z suggested something like this a while ago, and I just got around to it, and let me tell you, very convienient.

here's one of the great things you can do, with easy access to these files.

you know those flash images you'd like to save, but there's no right click option?

you can save it if you go directly to the address in your temp files.

first, hit controll f

this will bring up the search engine defaulted to the temporary internet files.

then find the site where your image was posted.

or, searchtype *.swf wich are the flash files

then find the image, and move it somewhere else...then you'll have access to the image that ms did not want to give you access to..open the flash with ie.

cool

to move the temporary internet file, hit tools>internet options>general>temporary internet files>settings>move folder

I put mine right on the desktop

well. I'm back in n.y. now, and I'm gonna start postin more ideas, get this thread up to 1000 posts, and then lock it up...anyone want to help, I'll need it.

this is another convience...I want as much control over my everyday computing as possible, and this of course includes email.

I out the folder oe stores my mail right on my desktop also, though you might want to put it somewhere else, like documents, or letters, or whatever...I like the desktop for things I do everyday.

this is pretty easy;...open oe, hit tools, options, maintenance, store folder...put it where you want, wait for the reboot,

done

compiled doc converted to html . .
this is based on what dealer has posted on Oct 1, 2002

wow nice job zalood, well done

cool.gif

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vinit
Back