X11 Issues...

Techno Child

web{designer}
Hello everyone,

I am trying to install GIMP on a Powerbook G4, and the OS is 10.4.8. When I try to run the installer, it stops and says that X11 should be installed first.

So I go to Apple's website and download X11 and try to install it. X11 says that there is a newer version installed, and it won't continue either!

So what I gather is that the previous install of X11 was corrupt, and I cannot find it anywhere on the hd to delete it. Is there a way to wipe out X11 and do a reinstall without having to reinstall OSX?

Thanks guys,
-tc

If I remember right, X11 from Apple's site is outdated. You need to install it from your install DVD.

Also, try using Gimp.app, it's much easier.

Shoot... So I have to go locate the disk/manual packets huh? If I remember correctly, I got this compy with the original restore disks. Would the new version of X11 be on those aswell?

BTW: I am using Gimp.app :)

X11 1.0 (the one available on the Apple site) is for panther / 10.3.

X11 1.1 is Tiger / 10.4, so if your restore/install discs are Tiger then you should have X11 1.1

Also just for reference, if you don't have "/Applications/Utilities/X11.app" then X11 isn't installed :)

If you can't find your discs, I'll get X11User.pkg from my Tiger DVD and upload it for you :)

ohh... Would you? That would save me a ton of searching. So far I only found 10.2, 10.3, and the recovery disks for both our G5 iMac and the G4 iBook... you would think by now I would find a centralized location for these things... :s

X11 is not in the Utilities folder, that I can see anyways.... may be hidden but doubt it. I guess this means that the one I downloaded through my developer's account was also for 10.3 which is why it said the one I "have" is newer...

Thanks in advance for the upload :D

You'd know if it was there, it's a large "X" icon...

picture1cr8.png

I'm trying to upload the installer now, will slap a link here when it's done.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back