Windows Vista Build 5342 Ultimate (EDW / March Refresh)

Must be out of 10.

What's with all these Allow Cancel prompts? I hope its just a Beta thing.

The Allow/Cancel prompts will remain in the final product. The difference is you'll most probably see them less often, since it's still being tweaked. It's a necessary evil. Any operation that requires administrative privileges will bring up the prompt so that the user can temporarily elevate to perform the operation. UNIX-based systems (including Mac OS X) work the same way. It keeps the system more secure since rogue applications can't damage critical areas of the system without user intervention.

The built-in "Administrator" account is exempt from UAC, so if you login using that account, you won't ever see the prompts.

Admiral Michael said:
What about a user in the administrators group?
Those count as "Protected Administrators," so UAC still applies to them.
There is a way to disable UAC completely for all accounts, which is obviously not recommended, but I'm not sure how long that's going to work.

Anyone have tips on how I can install within Virtual PC?

NetRyder said:
The Allow/Cancel prompts will remain in the final product. The difference is you'll most probably see them less often, since it's still being tweaked. It's a necessary evil. Any operation that requires administrative privileges will bring up the prompt so that the user can temporarily elevate to perform the operation. UNIX-based systems (including Mac OS X) work the same way. It keeps the system more secure since rogue applications can't damage critical areas of the system without user intervention.

The built-in "Administrator" account is exempt from UAC, so if you login using that account, you won't ever see the prompts.
theres been a lot of tsalk of it on the NG about this, even when logged in as admin people still say it asks for approval all the time. also many mac users have said that while it does do it for some tasks not every task from the control panel (or the mac equiv) and then several times inside the control panel item.
Of course security is the big issue but it should be turn offable by the user, people who know what they're doing shouldn't have to click ok 5 times to get something done

I agree. It definitely needs some tweaking at this point. It's been getting better with each build though. I remember one of the earlier builds in which some operations wouldn't even work because there was a half-baked implementation of UAC in the build. I imagine they're still working on cutting down the elevation prompts to a safe minimum.

Ok if you read a few pages back I mentioned about getting SetPoint to work. Well I got it to work!

I isntalled the software but it didnt see my keyboard and mouse, I checked Device Manager and it still had the MS drivers installed, so I upgraded them by pointing the wizard to C:\Program Files\Logitech\SetPoint\Drivers\Win2k_XP

I also got my older Logitech QuickCam Express to work by doing the same thing with the QuickCam software.

I'M SO HAPPY I HAVE MY KEYBOARD BUTTONS (Play, Pause, Skip, etc and Shortcut buttons)!!!!!!!!!

Ok, didnt want to edit since the last post is 5 days old.

I reimaged back to XP Pro, I needed my desktop back.

My thoughts on Vista:
  • (+ve)Few nice features (Per app volume control, storagebar in My Comp, etc)
  • (+ve)Start Menu (User Icon changes with the system options, overall look as well)
  • (+ve)Ribbons Screensaver (Very Cool!)
  • (-ve)Not too fond of how the documents, pictures, etc folders are done. I like how they were IN the My Documents Folder.
  • (-ve)Way the All Programs work on the Start Menu
  • (-ve)Alot more clicking to get the same results in XP
  • (-ve)Hate how the shut down box can either be Shut Down, Hibernate or Standby. I want it to prompt! I know the classic start menu does this but I like the XP style Start Menu

I think that's it for now. Be gentle with the reply comments :nervous:

apart from the clicking (i.e. haveing to confirm everything) those appear to be minor ui annoyances. None of them annoy me enough not to want vista as a main OS when it comes out.
I'm running it on a very old box, i'd love to test the x64 version on my main rig, but i won't too much stuff too lose should it go wrong

I am sure it will be optional to disable that at some point, its nice to know its there to remind you that anything you do without being prompted means you are doing as low security as possible.

Well usually I'm pretty organized but the new layout (as is where and how to get to things) of Vista is pretty crazy and kinda overkill.

So far I still like XP, however I remember saying I would never switch to XP from 98 and here we are. I'm sure once XP is unsupported then I will have to switch eventually.

Like don't get me wrong, Vista brings some nice features to the table but I'm not entirely fond of it.

its not an accident.

This was posted on the beta news group, the Microsoft response was
This is a valid download of 5308. It is a marketing program and the easiest way to get the bits to are a large group of customers is to put on the public download site. However, keys may only be obtained via email
notification from this team so the build is still somewhat secure.

How long is the build good before it shuts down for activation, 14 days?

the Windows Vista Product Guide is out on connect, featuring pages of detailed goodness on Vista, features, improvments, version compariosn etc

god damn a public file, and i still didnt get an invite :s

Hello,PLEASE HELP,? th?s,"Vista_5342_32bit_Main_Staged_DVD_EN.iso, 2,858.6 MB" I LOADED. But Activate wants from me. "14 days left to activate, Windows no" I this activate how do. Please please help...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
junebutlertd
Back