Windows Vista Build 5270 (Dec CTP)

Status
Not open for further replies.
NetRyder said:
Robert Fripp was on the Microsoft campus a few weeks back. He's the famous guitarist and composter, known for his founding role in the band King Crimson.

So, what was he doing on campus? Recording the various sounds we'll all hear in Windows Vista.

This is a different kind of Channel 9 video. We needed to be quiet during the recording session so you can just follow along. It's a little audio preview of what Windows Vista will sound like.

That's funny, considering Brian Eno did the "theme" sound for Windows 95. Someone at Microsoft must be a fan of classic ambient music. Maybe post-Vista, they'll bring out John Cale. :p

Melon

melon said:
That's funny, considering Brian Eno did the "theme" sound for Windows 95. Someone at Microsoft must be a fan of classic ambient music. Maybe post-Vista, they'll bring out John Cale. :p

Melon
Yeah, I still have a copy of the Win95 startup sound. I actually like it more than the XP one. :D

So I have 5270 ready to install, the first time I got it going and it was loading setup files.

I exited, since I realized I did not have enough hard drive space and needed to make a new partition.

Now when I restart the setup it crashes in the same spot everytime. Splash screen comes up, click Install.. fullscreen...2 seconds later, crashed!

What gives?

sidenote: what on earth happened to my account? I had all sorts of posts, reputation, and power and its gone? That isnt making me happy....

Last edited:
NetRyder said:
Not sure why setup's crashing.
As for your missing posts and rep points, you might want to check this thread: http://www.osnn.net/forum/showthread.php?t=79725
You think it's possible my copy of 5270 is bad? Id hate to think so, especially since it DID work.

I notice that it installs temporary files in the root directory, deleting the folder didnt help this situation nor did it seem to hurt it. I have never done a beta-test and I am very anxious to do it. Now all I need is a working copy..... help help help :)

Sorry for butting in here. You could try re-reformating your partitian. I was having a similar experience installing SuSe 10 and it was getting stuck at the same place each time, and it was due to how I formatted the hard drive. Once I let the OS format itself it installed fine. I realize Vista doesn't do this yet. If it is in ISO for you could try reburning at a slower speed or on different media is reformatting the partitian doesn't work.

3D flip seems to be a rip off of Suns desktop OS.

napalmnthemorning said:
Sorry for butting in here. You could try re-reformating your partitian. I was having a similar experience installing SuSe 10 and it was getting stuck at the same place each time, and it was due to how I formatted the hard drive. Once I let the OS format itself it installed fine. I realize Vista doesn't do this yet. If it is in ISO for you could try reburning at a slower speed or on different media is reformatting the partitian doesn't work.
The only doubt in your tip I have is that.. it used to work fine and suddenly it won't? And not to mention that it only gets about 5 seconds into the loading screen and it simply crashes. "Send report" / "Do not send report"

GEN3RIC said:
I want to see the actual video to that audio.. It was sort of funny, but Apple users can be sooooo melodramatic. Anybody have a video link to that presentation?
The on-demand version of the webcast is available here:
http://www.microsoft.com/events/executives/billgates.mspx

They've also split the keynote into different parts, in case you're interested in watching just one particular part and skipping the rest.

NetRyder said:
The on-demand version of the webcast is available here:
http://www.microsoft.com/events/executives/billgates.mspx

They've also split the keynote into different parts, in case you're interested in watching just one particular part and skipping the rest.
Cool thanks for the link.

So I used another copy of 5270 and it did not work. Will this work if I load it as an image via Daemon Tools?

It did the same thing this time, I am wondering if there is a conflict with some of my system components..if only I could figure out which!

Yes, you can install the OS on a separate partition/drive if you mount the ISO using Daemon Tools, but if it's a hardware conflict, that's still not going to help. Might be worth a try though.

Ok I tried it. Doesnt work!

So its hardware conflict.. any word on other people having this sort of issue? Initial searches havent provided any insight.. you guys have been into this longer than I have. Hear of anybody having hardware conflicts?

Bah..

specs in case you want to know:
XP (no service packs..:))
3000+ AMD64 @ 1.80Ghz
2x512 Corsair
6800GT

Well, going by some of the threads in the beta newsgroups, there have been people who were unable to get certain CTPs installed at all due to various reasons. It's always a very small percentage of the total test pool.

It's pretty hard to find out what the problem is, especially when it fails at the pre-setup stage. Usually, the only thing you can do in that case is to try a different machine, if you have access to one, or wait until the next CTP is released and hope that the issue is fixed.

I have another machine available but it doesnt meet the requirements quite that well. It has trouble with WinXP .. super slow 2.2Ghz dell laptop.

You could try just running setup to see if it at least gets past the point where it dies on your desktop. That way, you can rule out the possibility of it being due to a corrupted ISO or a bad burn.

Trying as we speak. It is so slow, I dont think it has frozen, but its at the same screen, I imagine its just going to take a while. Hasn't crashed yet.

Where do I start after I have confirmed it isnt a bad ISO?

*edit* it works on my laptop. it has gotten to the further installation screens. i am tempted to just install it.. it will run, it just wont be fast. which is how id like to play with it.

Last edited:
Well that's interesting.. I got the install to work by updating Windows to SP2.

So it began its installation, it rebooted like it should have, then the pre-OS Longhorn boot screen came up fine and directly thereafter it BSOD'd and rebooted. Upon further investigation it didnt have a specific error except for the serious technojargon at the bottom.

Im sure this one has been had before...

edit: I am using SATA. Maxtor DiamondMax10. I bet that is the issue! However I dont see a fix unless I use IDE.

Yeah, that's probably it. 9 out of 10 times, it seems like the people having problems are attributing it to SATA issues. It's been getting better with each new build though, so you might have better luck with the next one if you don't find a way out this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest forum posts

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
junebutlertd
Back