Windows OneCare/Windows Defender Discussion

For anyone who is using Windows OneCare a new version has been released. It should auto update to the latest build (mine did over night).

I think I am the only one that cares, but WSUS now installs Windows Defender updates once they are available without interrupting the end user.

Are you actually using Windows Defender in a production environment on a large scale, or still testing it?

Production environment. I currently have it loaded on 10 Windows 2000 workstations and 1 Windows XP workstation. Works very well actually. I setup the nightly scan to run at 2:00 AM.

Only one small bug: it runs under the last user logged on. If they don't have logon rights for 2 AM (which nobody does except a select few) then it can't access something (haven't figured out what).

The updates work great, as I said above.

Glad to hear the updates work great - just wasn't sure if you were running it in a small production environment.

Could you create a local user account with rights to logon to the machine at 2AM, and have the machine logon as a service?

It only happens on Windows 2000 and on Windows 2000 it runs as SYSTEM (and it creates a local profile for SYSTEM).

So it runs as SYSTEM, but still uses the last user credentials to access some data? Does it not have access to their user profile? (previous person logged on)

Yes, SYSTEM has access to every thing. But I still get a Userevn error in the logs every night.

Do you have ActiveX controls enabled?

i should, how can i tell??

ha im dumb i found it...

Last edited:
Re: Windows Defender Beta 2

Johnny said:
I can't even tell it's running .. It is working great for me ..

That's one thing that annoys me. I like to see it in the system tray like Antispyware. The other thing it that they don't have an update option within the program itself - you have to wait until automatic update throws a pop up to realise that there's a definition update.

madmatt said:
Yes, SYSTEM has access to every thing. But I still get a Userevn error in the logs every night.
Oh I do like error messages :)

What does it say?

Just wanted to mention that if you want to update Defender manually you can click the down arrow next to the question mark (Help) and click "About Windows Defender". There will then be an option to "Check For Updates". Hope this helps.

Over night WOC updated to version 1.0.0971.4. The new version removes beta from the titlebar and now checks to make sure Windows Defender is installed.

It is rumored the next release will have WD built right in.

i installed defender but my antispyware icon is still there, but when i go to uninstall antispyware its not there...any ideas?

I got that e-mail today too, I think I'm going to jump on that price :)

It'll be interesting to see if they've fixed the bugs I've encountered. Thank you for the heads up NR.

Today, we released a refresh of Windows Defender (Beta 2) which includes updates based on the customer feedback that we have received through this blog and the newsgroups. This update also addresses some issues that have been brought to our attention around signature updating, improves upon the usability of Windows Defender and also improves our SpyNet reporting capabilities.

First off, we have added a checkbox option to continually display the system tray icon. We heard your feedback loud and clear on this one, so those who want to see our icon with the little green check in their system tray as a sign of system health can now do so. We have also improved Windows Defender's ability to report more accurate data about potentially unwanted software through SpyNet so that we can help create better definition updates.

Finally, we've made some minor updates to the UI and we are on track to release our Japanese and German localized versions and expect to turn on the update notification for existing Beta 1 and Beta 2 customers soon - so keep an eye out!
http://blogs.technet.com/antimalware/archive/2006/04/13/425175.aspx

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back