Windows OneCare/Windows Defender Discussion

Re: Windows Defender Beta 2

As I said, I am fed up with Symantec and them not willing to create a home product for power users.

So I dropped Norton Internet Security shortly after that post. I completely uninstalled it, dug through the registry, and every directory.

I installed the Windows OneCare Live Beta and Windows Defender Beta. So far so good.

Two things I don't like so far: you don't have the ability to choose NOT to run the defrag tool during the "Tune-Up". I have Diskeeper installed and I don't know how this will affect it.

The second of the two is the lack of configuration. You don't have much say over what it does. It does it when it wants to do it. You can't choose when to run an automated scan for instance or when to update.

I will also miss Norton's ad blocking. So for the time being, I have ads back.

On a good note, my PC is running faster, starting up/shutting down faster, and it is running eight less processes compared to when NIS was installed.

I'll keep everyone posted.

If anything, check out NOD32. Super light weight, and very powerful.

Matt, the two things you mentioned seem to be the top two complaints about OneCare from what I've seen in the beta newsgroups. It's again not meant for the power-user segment, so they've tried to simplify it as much as possible, which means lack of configurability to a certain degree.

And that's the problem. On one hand I want a complete package Windows. Every thing I need under one roof. On the other hand, I want the control over it.

I am going to guess that the Tune-Up calls on the built in Disk Defrag snap-in which Diskeeper replaces when it installs.

EDIT: I looked through the install directory and can't find another disk defrag tool. I don't want to run the Tune-up and have it mess up Diskeeper though. I sent an email to Microsoft Support to ask them about it. I'll keep you posted.

Last edited:

I just installed Windows Defender Beta 2, and I really like it. I have been using Antispyware with no problems. Yet, I have never really been picky in this topic. I find that it works, and thats it. I don't know the technical things about the program or anything, but it's simple and if I'm running windows, I might as well use something they are given out.

I still think that AVGis the best choice. Windows One Care is a nice set up, although it needs some work. I haven't tried the new Windows Defender, so I can't comment on it. Is that what you though I would say matt ???

Well, I've been running anti spyware and now defender for ages, and they've never found anything. Wether that's because i have other good security settings and install policy or they're rubbish, i don't know lol :) Guess i should run adaware or something to find out

/me realises he is the lone OSNN user with installation issues here.... goes to retry that install then....
[EDIT] Second time lucky... [/EDIT]

Last edited:

Microsoft support got back to me concerning my issues with OneCare. It does not scan incoming/outgoing email. Instead it scans file "on access" which uses less resources and according to support works just as well.

Concerning Diskeeper: support told me to uninstall it.

And as for power users and administrators alike, "thanks for the suggestion".

Although I am fine with the email, I am not going to uninstall Diskeeper to go back to the built in snap-in. And if you ask me, that's just a terrible response. After all, Diskeeper created the built-in snap-in for Microsoft so there should be a way to make it work.

Maybe we should suggest to Microsoft that they create a more complicated version or a "technicians" version of Onecare so that you can customise what it does.

The problem is, the technically aware market is usually lumped into the business market rather than the home user market, and most average joes need something like Onecare to be as simple as possible. Maybe we should all aim to create a home advanced user market?

I suppose the best solution would be something that uses a setup like System Mechanic, which is a bit of a Pandora's box as it has some very good tools in it that can be fine tuned (defrag, being able to pick indivudial tuning components, the pro version has a particularly powerful file undeleter) and some very destructive tools if used incorrectly (the registry cleaner).

I thought they were working on a version for corporate/business use. I haven't heard any thing about it lately.

just installed. million times better than aol anti spyware.

I have tried to download this a few times this morning, and all the links I have tried seem to be timing out :(

Madmatt, I feel your pain in NIS200x, I agree 110%. I also tried the OneCare Beta for a few weeks, overall I was impressed. However, my machine is old/slow and I felt the performance degregation wasn't to my liking, so I pulled it off. Previously, and now again, I use McAfee 8.0i Enterprise Edition, which does the "on-access" scanning, which is the best for resource management.

Once my new PC comes in, I may play with OneCare again.

NetRyder said:
Matt, the two things you mentioned seem to be the top two complaints about OneCare from what I've seen in the beta newsgroups. It's again not meant for the power-user segment, so they've tried to simplify it as much as possible, which means lack of configurability to a certain degree.

I ventured over to Microsoft Forums for OneCare. And you are right. Several users have complained about the same issues I have, including several that use Diskeeper/PerfectDisk. No one from Microsoft has spoken on the issue.

In my opinion, there is no reason a software vendor cannot design a product with the novice/entry level AND the power user in mind. Symantec did a decent job of this.

We'll see what happens.

Johnny said:
I still think that AVGis the best choice. Windows One Care is a nice set up, although it needs some work. I haven't tried the new Windows Defender, so I can't comment on it. Is that what you though I would say matt ???

I knew it. =)

I think the consensus was that the defrag option would remain as it is, unfortunately. But you never know. The Live Messenger team did a radical redesign of the UI based on user feedback, so maybe the OneCare folks might cave in too, seeing the number of requests for this. Keep an eye out on their blog: http://spaces.msn.com/windowsonecare/blog/

I installed this. So far I like it. It is not as bloated as the other ... I like that

Microsoft Windows Defender

So Windows Defender replaces Antispyware..i installed it and it seems to use a lot of my resources...i think i may go back to antispyware...any ideas?

i installed it and it seems to use a lot of my resources...i think i may go back to antispyware...any ideas?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back