Windows installer runs on startup

Hi all - this is my first post here so I think i should start by greeting you all!

I am being tormented by instances of msiexec.exe running both on startup and whenever any media (CD or DVD) is inserted.

It just runs through the installation preparation bit, and then stops, although the process hangs around in the task manager for a while.

Nothing actually tries to install, and it does not appear to have any adverse affect on the system...but I want to get rid of it!!

Any ideas would be appreciated - thanks!

No - it doesn't appear to reference any particular program - which is what makes the source of the problem that much more difficult to identify

Mainframeguy

Debiant by way of Ubuntu
Not meaning to talk down to you - but is your system completely all clear as regards virii and spyware? Has there been anything you recently had to resolve or any dubious installs you have removed?

It's just that it sounds to me like the sort of thing a virus or spyware might employ as a technique - and whilst you may have removed the really dangerous part possibly this got left behind "dangling" as a consequence? Not direct help for you as such, but perhaps a lead worth persuing?

IDLE

OSNN Senior Addict
have you installed any games from Ubisoft or StarForce? i have seen minor issues with symptoms you described. i would check in the device manager, change your view to show all hidden drivers. check to see if you have a StarForce driver install.

Here is the uninstall tool to remove the drivers that get installed.

http://www.onlinesecurity-on.com/protect.phtml?c=55

scroll down at the bottom to DL the removal tool.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Ep, glad to see you come back and tidy up...did want to ask a one day favor, I want to enhance my resume , was hoping you could make me administrator for a day, if so, take me right off since I won't be here to do anything, and don't know the slightest about the board, but it would be nice putting "served administrator osnn", if can do, THANKS

Been running around Quora lately, luv it there https://tinyurl.com/ycpxl
Electronic Punk wrote on Perris Calderon's profile.
All good still mate?
Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Poseeut