Windows installer runs on startup

timbradley

OSNN Newbie
Hi all - this is my first post here so I think i should start by greeting you all!

I am being tormented by instances of msiexec.exe running both on startup and whenever any media (CD or DVD) is inserted.

It just runs through the installation preparation bit, and then stops, although the process hangs around in the task manager for a while.

Nothing actually tries to install, and it does not appear to have any adverse affect on the system...but I want to get rid of it!!

Any ideas would be appreciated - thanks!

No - it doesn't appear to reference any particular program - which is what makes the source of the problem that much more difficult to identify

Not meaning to talk down to you - but is your system completely all clear as regards virii and spyware? Has there been anything you recently had to resolve or any dubious installs you have removed?

It's just that it sounds to me like the sort of thing a virus or spyware might employ as a technique - and whilst you may have removed the really dangerous part possibly this got left behind "dangling" as a consequence? Not direct help for you as such, but perhaps a lead worth persuing?

Make certain you have SP2 installed and Windows Installer 3.1 (release v2) installed.

I had some strange issue of it always coming up on my PC. My quick fix was to disable the service. :)

Disabling the Windows Installer service isn't a good idea.

have you installed any games from Ubisoft or StarForce? i have seen minor issues with symptoms you described. i would check in the device manager, change your view to show all hidden drivers. check to see if you have a StarForce driver install.

Here is the uninstall tool to remove the drivers that get installed.

http://www.onlinesecurity-on.com/protect.phtml?c=55

scroll down at the bottom to DL the removal tool.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back