Windows Booting Problem (boot.ini)

Aprox

OSNN Veteran Addict
Political Access
Ok, I dont ask for help very much.. I like to figure stuff out... but I cant seem to grasp this one.

It all started when I was a kid...*cough*. Last week I formated my computer, at first I stuck in a custom windows disk I had been working on (slipstreamed, OEM software, etc) but what happened is that it started installing windows on my "E:\" drive. Which is just a storage drive full of crap. I saw that is was doing this and stopped it. I thought I had deleted all traces of that bum half installtion then I put in a regular windows cd and installed normally.

After I got it all formatted and installed I was looking through my "E:" drive and saw some traces of what I thought were from the bum installation (boot.ini, ntldr, ntdetect.com) now usually I wouldnt be deleting system files... but in this situation I figured it was no big deal. after I deleted them everything was fine till the next morning when I tried to boot my computer. it gave me a message about missing "NTLDR is Missing" so I jumped on my backup computer did some research, found out I had a bum installion or missing files... that sort of thing.

So, after playing around in the system recovery console for a few minutes I come to the conclusion that my boot.ini is messed up (blank actually). So I create a new one, oh and this is were it gets weird. my C: drive (which as \windows) is now my E: drive... and my original E: drive is now know as C: (only in the recovery console). So I made the boot.ini and everything works.. windows boots just fine blah blah blah. (I had to copy "ntldr" and "ntdetect" as well since I had deleted them)

ok, so I get into windows and go to my Disk Managment and see that "C:" is listed as boot, and my "E" drive is listed as system. So, I think my windows install got spread across two drives, if anyone can help get the info from my E drive to my C drive I would really appreciate it.

If this makes no sense just say so.. I will reytpe it :p

Well, you could always format :)

Boot to the recovery console and type in

fixboot c:\
fixmbr c:\

when I type in fixmbr it says I might loose access to my Partitions, on the Drive in question I have 2 of them. Is this a real risk? or is just a generic notice?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back