Windows 7 - First Impressions

I am triple-booting XP Home, XP Pro, and Windows 7. 7 and Pro are on a 20gb; Home on an 80. Never did like the fact that they went from boot.ini to BCDEDIT.exe. Pees me off.

Okay, I have had freakin enough. How do I get rid of the BIOS that allows me to switch OSs? I want 2 delete 7 off my PC 4 good.

I'm running server 2003 x64 at the moment but if I recall you boot off of a BCD based windows DVD (vista, 2008, 7) and open a command prompt and run bootsect /nt52 or something along those lines.

The program you need is in /boot/ on the disc

Yep that is the correct way to remove the boot manager.

drive letter:\boot\bootsect.exe /nt52 ALL /force

For some reason it does not work with a 7 DVD but will work with a copy of Vista.

Seems very good to me, I've not read most of this thread but i can imagine most people (here and everywhere) either not liking it or it not being different enough. But then again if you're happy with Vista, have it all set up how you like it etc then theres no reason to upgrade straight away, leave it till its time for a new machine (or a resh install).

Having said that I personaly like it very much, I got used to the task bar very quickly (after a minor change of making it show the name of the app), I like the jump lists and some of the other new bits and bobs. It does seem faster (i have a fresh install of Vista SP1 on the same machine) and so far stable. Found a few small glitches, but thats the fun of beta testing! (reports my RAM as 24Gb!)

I turned UAC in 7 off the first day, same as I had it in Vista.

Today it seemed to turn back on by itself, anyone else have this happen. I hope it does not continue that.

I had the same issue, bman. It looked like it was on. I checked it and it was turned off, yet still giving me the security acceleration prompts. So I enabled it, then disabled it again. It seem to work that time.

I turned UAC in 7 off the first day, same as I had it in Vista.

Today it seemed to turn back on by itself, anyone else have this happen. I hope it does not continue that.

Run on the admin account and UAC is mute.

It is an admin account.

So you are running on the built-in administrator account?

If so then yes you are total admin but if not then no you are not total admin. When you are total admin the protected mode for IE is disabled even if you have the box checked and UAC is mute/void.

Local security > Local Policies > Security Options

First one in the list you enable (Accounts:enable admin) then the fourth one (Accounts:rename admin) if you want the account to have your name.

same as Real Admin of Vista

you can do that in the users control panel much easier you know... or local users and groups in computer management...

I usually do major upgrades to my hardware as Windows is released (except for the million years between XP and Vista), but I'll be glad I don't have to upgrade for this release.

That depends on how you use your HD. I use a small HD for the OS and a separate drive for storing other files. My 'Program Files' folder only contains around 4GB of application related files while Vista is using around 18-22GB currently.
For me, I don't see the need of having anything bigger than my 36GB raptor as an OS drive - but Vista is pushing it.

btw, I have tried the vsp1cln.exe and only managed to recover around 1.5-2GB of space.

ahh i see now and kinda agree for the os....

im liking it....so far, i like the fat that xvid/divx is supported out of the box same with .ts files and mp4/aac files, mikes life easier, shame they havent sorted out x264, so im guessing i will have to find a stand alone filter for that or i could stick ffdshow in as it will handle subs too :)

Quick speed, like the new UI more easy on the eyes, control panel seems to have moved about again, all hardware detected so i doubt i will need to use the vista drivers :D

There are some things you still need to use the vista drivers for, capro; Ie: It didn't detect my ati video card in my laptop.

all nvidia in here found all of it - windows update found tv card - i gave ms some feedback already about a few things
poor network transfer speed, poor hard drive speed - yes ok this is with the drivers that come with win7, but a lot of people will just take it as read that, that's how its supposed to be, hell i get better speeds after a fresh vista install :p now i have done all that i might use vista drivers t install chipset drivers and such :)

It found my nvidia card and dell monitor on my desktop as well. So that leads me to think that windows 7 is in with nvidia lol ...

i will use the vista drivers on it tomorrow when i have more time and see if the speed improves - unless nvidia have some beta win7 drivers

I have found something which so far I can not understand.

I am dual booting XP 32 bit and 7 64 bit.

If I create a restore point in 7 and reboot into 7 then restore points are still there.
If I boot into XP then when I go back to 7 the restore points in 7 are all deleted.

As long as I stay booting into 7 the restore points are OK but anytime I boot into XP the restore points for 7 get deleted.

I have XP setup to not monitor the 7 volume and 7 setup to not monitor the XP volume.

Edit: I found the answer - http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=926185&sd=RMVPhttp://bertk.mvps.org/html/dualboot.html

Last edited:
I have found something which so far I can not understand.

I am dual booting XP 32 bit and 7 64 bit.

If I create a restore point in 7 and reboot into 7 then restore points are still there.
If I boot into XP then when I go back to 7 the restore points in 7 are all deleted.

As long as I stay booting into 7 the restore points are OK but anytime I boot into XP the restore points for 7 get deleted.

I have XP setup to not monitor the 7 volume and 7 setup to not monitor the XP volume.

Edit: I found the answer - http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=926185&sd=RMVPhttp://bertk.mvps.org/html/dualboot.html
interesting stuff, as well as why it happens, thanx for posting witht he link to solution

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back