Windows 7 - First Impressions

For the home (noob) user: Networking is easier... create a homegroup, type the home group password into each other computer you want to access the network... Easy as pie.

Sharing is as simple as right clicking a folder and choosing the option. Shares show up in the 'My Computer' view on other computers... no hunting for them.

Rotating wallpaper feature: Purty

For the more experienced user:
Remote desktop is improved: now has the ability to use multiple monitors properly (This is slated to be added to Vista as well... I'm sure the support will be added to Server 2008... hopefully 2003 as well)

For everyone:
My experience (Three systems running Windows 7 currently) is that it DOES use less resources and runs smoother than Vista on the same machines. I also ran it in a virtual machine with 512 meg of ram and it ran acceptably well. It's running on my older Dell laptop with full Aero and does so quite nicely with an integrated graphics card. Runs better on my wife's dual core celeron w/ 1 gig of Ram MUCH better than Vista ever ran with only a gig.

I'm sure I'll find more... this is only what I can think of off the top of my head.
How old is the Dell you installed 7 on? and how much memory does it have?

How old is the Dell you installed 7 on? and how much memory does it have?

It's a Dell 9400... about 3 years old and 2 gigs of Ram (Max it can use... upped it when I put Vista on it.)

It has a Windows Experience rating of 2.0 (Hard drive)... and runs beautifully.

I can't delete my windows.old file...keeps saying I need rights, but I'm the administrator.

It's a Dell 9400... about 3 years old and 2 gigs of Ram (Max it can use... upped it when I put Vista on it.)

It has a Windows Experience rating of 2.0 (Hard drive)... and runs beautifully.
I have a old C810, I thought I may try it on there but the memory is to barebones for that (512), thanks.

I can't delete my windows.old file...keeps saying I need rights, but I'm the administrator.

Administrator does not get defacto access to everything. You occasionally need to add administrator or administrators (group) permissions.

Administrator does not get defacto access to everything. You occasionally need to add administrator or administrators (group) permissions.

Administrator on Vista and Windows 7 is NOT a real admin (you are a user-admin) unless you run on the built-in Administrator account. I don't recommend running under that account for everyone but it suits me just fine.

Administrator is THE administrator. The user you login as is too - just doing the windows equivalent of sudo every time you move the mouse...

THe members of the administrators group are administrator and you.

So either administrator, or administrators needs to take ownership.

I'm not going senile yet....

Administrator is THE administrator. The user you login as is too - just doing the windows equivalent of sudo every time you move the mouse...

THe members of the administrators group are administrator and you.

So either administrator, or administrators needs to take ownership.

I'm not going senile yet....
if windows7 is anything like xp then "the" administrator is a completely differant account then a user as an administrator and "the" administrator has more control then a user who has administration

however I know not how windows7 handles root however "the" adminnstrator is equivilant to linux's root I believe, "an" administrator is not quite

I was talking about Administrator and the user. what wasn't clear???

Just a note... There's a bug that will not allow you to join a domain that has more than 15 characters in the first part of the name... Microsoft has released a hotfix for it already... you have to go sign up for the hotfix, then it e-mails you the link to the file and the password.

I was talking about Administrator and the user. what wasn't clear???
this part in italtics;

Administrator is THE administrator. The user you login as is too

the user you log into is not "the" administrator he is just "an" administrator, only "administrator" is "the" administrator

I guess that's what you were saying but I didn't know if it was

Administrator is administrator. User is user. Need clarifying??
I don't meed clarification your post did

just as sometimes my posts need clarification and others provide what I fail to see needs edit or explanation\

sometimes what we know we wrote does not read the way we think it does, I am guilty of this more then others I think but it happens to all of us

I don't really think it matters. Can you log in as "the" administrator in windows 7? And if so, what is the point? Would that not just completely rule out or disable UAC that protects againts administrative changes in the first place? Bad juju.

I don't meed clarification your post did

just as sometimes my posts need clarification and others provide what I fail to see needs edit or explanation\

sometimes what we know we wrote does not read the way we think it does, I am guilty of this more then others I think but it happens to all of us

At no point did any of my posts need clarifying. I think you and AZ deserve cookies for a pretty good job of confusing things though :D

I never said "an administrator user" I said administrator (the user) or administrators (the group).

Anyone notice CCleaner does not work 100% in 7, probably due to the fact that its 64bit and 7 lol. It keeps finding the same reg files over and over, once I clean them. Weird.

ccleaner works perfect on the 32 bit version.

At no point did any of my posts need clarifying. I think you and AZ deserve cookies for a pretty good job of confusing things though :D

I never said "an administrator user" I said administrator (the user) or administrators (the group).
ok lord, you're getting too defensive, of course your post needed clarifying otherwise I would not have clarified it, we all need clarification at times, some of us get touchy about it when it happens some don't, I know I've gotten touchy about it in the past and I see (whether you see it or not) that you are touchy about it now

you can have the last word and tell me again that the post I did not understand was understandable to everyone but me and then we can both be happy

now I am done with this conversation and it's time to move on, enjoy your last word

Actually, one (bad) thing about Vista is disk space consumption. I have less 4gb available at the moment and I only have Office and a few small apps installed.
I see Windows 7 consuming more than Vista rather than less. It eats up around 10gb (on 64-bit) without any other apps.

A lot of people say 'why not just get a bigger HD, it's not expensive'.
I haven't had my 36gb raptor HD long enough to need replacing. Nor do I want to have a massive 80+gb HD for having only an OS and a few apps installed on.

80gb's is hardly massive, i have about 4tbs and that is only just enough, i would use up 80gbs in about 4 hours.....

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back