• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Windows 7 Application Questions

Bman

OSNN Veteran Original
So I knew when I installed 7, I'd have ton's of questions, lets just make this thread that thread.

First up,

I want to install my extracter, compression, zip program. Within 32bit XP & Vista I was using 7-zip as well as Winace. I was at the websites for those programs and did not find a 64bit version, I assumed that.

Are there versions of those apps for 64bit and I just missed it? Or what do you recommend to use in Windows 7 64bit as a zip/rar program?

Bman

OSNN Veteran Original
Man, today must not be my day. Thanks epk.

My next question will come very soon, just hold your horses.

Bman

OSNN Veteran Original
I was going to ask every question, every program.

Is there a list of 64bit version of "popular" programs. I already know my beloved Winamp is not.

assclown

OSNN Citizen Man
One program that should be 64bit that isn't, Steam.
Actually, some of the games are 64 bit through steam. Such as HL2: lost coast and HL2. I had asked Valve why it wasn't some time ago and they gave me that answer and i confirmed it. I could crank HL2 to max resolution and setting when i had my 6800 gt and it would handle it nicely. Give it a shot!

Bman

OSNN Veteran Original
I have done it many ways in the past, very hard in Vista.

Is there a program, or a certain way to clean and organize the start menu?

PS. I read a few comments, and I have been doing it, installing 32bit programs into the normal Program Files folder. I know some might cause problems and some might not, what types of programs might have issue with that?

Bman

OSNN Veteran Original
So every program I have installed since using 7 has been under Program Files, I just looked at the folders, and turns out you can't do that. All the 32bi applications that I installed into Program Files, are under Program Files (x86) lol

bman - just find your programs and install them. You don't have to worry if they are 64 or 32bit.

Don't worry about where windows puts them either :)

Bman

OSNN Veteran Original
You are right Lord, but that's how I am. At the same time, obviously I don't have a choice anyways. Yet again, if I can find a 64bit version of a app, why not get it? Right.

Last edited:

Bman

OSNN Veteran Original
Question,

I have 2 1TB drives, and 2 500GB drives installed.

Currently only 1TB, 2x500GB drive show up within 7. I believe thats because 7 does not show in active devices. I need it to show it, so I can format it within windows. Any ideas?

ming

OSNN Advanced
In Internet Explorer 7, upon closing the browser, you had the option to reopen tabs the next time you launch IE. However, IE8 does not seem to have this option when I close it. Has this feature been removed from the browser in Windows 7?

Members online

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pdawgintown