Windows 7 Application Questions

N

Not Bman

So I knew when I installed 7, I'd have ton's of questions, lets just make this thread that thread.

First up,

I want to install my extracter, compression, zip program. Within 32bit XP & Vista I was using 7-zip as well as Winace. I was at the websites for those programs and did not find a 64bit version, I assumed that.

Are there versions of those apps for 64bit and I just missed it? Or what do you recommend to use in Windows 7 64bit as a zip/rar program?

http://www.7-zip.org/

the 2nd "download" right there on the main page, mate :]

edit: winace doesnt have a native 64bit version, but im sure u can still use the 32 bit version without issues

Man, today must not be my day. Thanks epk.

My next question will come very soon, just hold your horses.

this is why i dont have a job xD

I was going to ask every question, every program.

Is there a list of 64bit version of "popular" programs. I already know my beloved Winamp is not.

One program that should be 64bit that isn't, Steam.
Actually, some of the games are 64 bit through steam. Such as HL2: lost coast and HL2. I had asked Valve why it wasn't some time ago and they gave me that answer and i confirmed it. I could crank HL2 to max resolution and setting when i had my 6800 gt and it would handle it nicely. Give it a shot!

I just use winrar for archives. It works great with windows 7.

I have done it many ways in the past, very hard in Vista.

Is there a program, or a certain way to clean and organize the start menu?

PS. I read a few comments, and I have been doing it, installing 32bit programs into the normal Program Files folder. I know some might cause problems and some might not, what types of programs might have issue with that?

So every program I have installed since using 7 has been under Program Files, I just looked at the folders, and turns out you can't do that. All the 32bi applications that I installed into Program Files, are under Program Files (x86) lol

bman - just find your programs and install them. You don't have to worry if they are 64 or 32bit.

Don't worry about where windows puts them either :)

You are right Lord, but that's how I am. At the same time, obviously I don't have a choice anyways. Yet again, if I can find a 64bit version of a app, why not get it? Right.

Last edited by a moderator:
Question,

I have 2 1TB drives, and 2 500GB drives installed.

Currently only 1TB, 2x500GB drive show up within 7. I believe thats because 7 does not show in active devices. I need it to show it, so I can format it within windows. Any ideas?

THanks, forgot that.

Last edited by a moderator:
In Internet Explorer 7, upon closing the browser, you had the option to reopen tabs the next time you launch IE. However, IE8 does not seem to have this option when I close it. Has this feature been removed from the browser in Windows 7?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back