Who wants to spend my money?

Anyone have a link to the Dell display for 549.99 (looking for a reputable dealer that can get it here by next Wednesday...build day!)?

I sent NetRyder a PM hes the guy to ask... I asked him to post... a little patience.. I know he will
:D

well.... it would have to be PCI-Express ready, not SLI ready. and that... i'm not exactly sure about.....

So I ordered my new equipment today...should be here by Wednesday! I also ordered Dell's UltraSharp 2005FPW...needless to say, I'm quite excited! Here’s my cart:

IEEE-1284 Bi-Directional Parallel Printer Cable 6FT
Logitech Cordless Desktop MX & MX 900 Bluetooth Optical Mouse Combo Retail Western Digital Caviar SE WD2000JD 200GB Serial ATA 7200RPM Hard Drive X 2
Asus CRW-5232AS 52x/32x/52x E-IDE/ATAPI CD-RW Drive (Black) Retail
Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Silver Thermal Compound 3.5Gram/Tube Retail
Corsair TWINX1024-3200XLPRO 1GB Kit DDR400 XMS3200 Xtra-Low Latency Thermaltake Dream Tower Series -Tsunami VA3000BNA Aluminum Mid Tower Case Ultra ULT31558 X-Connect 500W ATX Power Supply w/2 80mm Fans (Titanium Blue)
APC PH8T3 Home/Office SurgeArrest 8 Outlet w/Tel2/Splitter Protection
AMD Athlon 64 3500+ Processor Socket 939
Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe
BFG GeForce 6800 Ultra OC PCI Express 256MB DDR Video Card w/Dual DVI Retail
Zonet ZFM5620-LT Lucent 56K V.92 PCI Modem Retail (Just in case…LOL)
Ultra ULT31614 X-Connect 4-Pin to 6-Pin PCI Express Cable (Green) Retail
3Com 3CRDAG675 11a/b/g Wireless PCI Adapter Retail
Logitech X-120 Speaker System Retail (Cheap…but Ill get something better later…)

Nathan, i'd say buy the KB and mouse separate. not sure what keyboard to get, but the Logitech MX1000 Laser wireless mouse is probably your best bet. The rest of it seems quite nice.

edit: nevermind that. just noticed that you said you already ordered it. oh well. also, hope you'll love your 2005FPW. was at the computer show today and saw one. *drools* SOOOOOOO pretty.

Interesting - looks like you made some beduget decisions in there, and I am not going to really argue with any of them, it is YOUR money at the end of the day.

For the benefits of readers though could you say what the total spend was? I am sure you know! I mean, have you managed to trim your main spend so that the "luxury" screen has fitted into total spend?

If I was making that order up I would have thought long and hard about the "X-Connect 500W ATX Power Supply w/2 80mm Fans (Titanium Blue)" because I'd have been thinking about all the yummy kit that is drawing on that babies 12v rail.... and any future mods going onto the rig too.... Care to post how many amps that PSU is rated on the 12v rail? The real figure, I hope, because they can tell lies with their specs..... I hope the number you get is above 18 as a minimum..... Although I am certain your rig will run this is all about wuality and I can see you want a quality build and you have a GFX card that can pull some volts there alongside the AMD64 - oh yeah and you did not say if you are going for the Winchester CPU (I hope so for your sake)

Yes, I got the Winchester...my total purchase price was roughly 2700 dollars including shipping...I did some research on that PSU, and found that it will be more than enough, evern when I add another 6800 Ultra in the future...there is a computer store down the road with almost the same setup, and the PSU is handling the load very well. Yes, I made a few budget decisions, but I know that I have high quality parts, and expandability for the future...I hope to have all this stuff in by Wednesday, so I should have it up and running by this weekend...provided I have enough spare time to spend on it. Now, one last question...should I install XP Pro SP2, or XP Media Center Edition? I have an OEM version of both...

MFG, i'm lookin through the manual for mine. the 12V rail has a max load of 34 amps, and a minimum of 2 amps. they really are quite nice power supplies

Very Nice!! Glad you took a few of my suggestions... Hehe :D
Get it setup nicely and then post us some benchmarks

:D

Hannibal!

NathanA said:
...Now, one last question...should I install XP Pro SP2, or XP Media Center Edition? I have an OEM version of both...

ahhhhh well now that was a false economy maybe. I did that before I knew better - the thing is although you are assembling your rig you are not a true OEM - ie manufacturer of the machine for resale. In terms of the M$ license agreement to install EITHER of those is in contravention of the license agreement and, should you later (as I have) need to call in (in my case due to a changed CPUID) for a new key to activate - you will find M$ will not give it to you and will tell you your OS is illegal and you should destroy the CD and tell them where you got it.

I hate to be telling you bad stuff - but you probably know it already ;) - anyway don't shoot the messenger (give him rep points instead ;) :)

oh yeah and if the rating ED posts for that PSU is genuine with load to other rails (the way it SHOULD be measured) then I am impressed - I suspect that is the load if all 500W is appllied to 12V rail (my maths tells me so hehe :) ) And that figure means NOTHING because you are ALWAYS powering other rails with something - think about it? :)

I understand...but through an agreement with my employer and Microsoft corp, my OEM versions are perfectly legal. I have versions of Win2k, XP Pro, and XP Media. I am VERY anti-piracy, and would never install pirated software...that said, is Media Center really worth it?

I can openly say I have been on both sides of this coin, and while microsoft will not allow the distribution of any MS OS without the purchase of a PC, if you let them know you got rid of the old PC (or better yet destroyed it), and now you want to transfer to the new PC they will give you a new one... NOT THAT ANYONE SHOULD EVER do that... within the last year I became 100% legit with MS. So, Im not saying you should or shouldn't use the tactic, Im just pointing out that microsoft although they will give you fair amount of crap will eventually give you a new #...

my 2 cents...

Sounds like a great setup! As mlakrid said, can't wait to see the benchmarks on your new rig :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back