Who wants to spend my money?

NathanA said:
That monitor does not have DVI input...could you make another suggestion?

unless you are watching HDTV i dont think it matters ... but im not 100% positive on that.

here are some suggestions ..
BENQ FP931-SB
Acer AL1912B

or it seems this one is kick ass ..everything the samsung is but with DVI
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1218288&Tab=2&NoMapp=0

i dont know if i would buy something from tigerdirect cause they really suck ass but that monitor according to tech specs kicks ass.

also another thought ... do you really need that much storage? id opt for 2 74 gig raptors .. might cost 100 or so more and you get less storage but ive never used more than 100gigs on a hard drive. later on buy an external drive .. or with this mobo you selected you have the option of using a pci slot for external sata drives as well. Another note ... with the size of the video cards ..believe it or not you will find limitations on the bottom bays for hard drives. so instead of say fitting three in the cube ... i could only fit 2 and had to space them out on top and bottom leaving the middle open for the video card if that makes any sense to you. If you give me about 30 minutes ill take a good picture of the inside so you can indeed see what i mean. also with the extra cord that runs to the mobo.

VERY IMPORTANT >>> SLI video cards need 2 power connections. ALSO.. you will have to run one powercord from the first video card directly into the board. so you will need an extra cord.

here are some pictures to explain the space problems due to the size of the video cards.

Also one picture of the extra power cable you will need.

i am sure you are familiar enough with computers to understand the picture.

Attachments

• pp1.jpg
    pp1.jpg
    539.6 KB · Views: 74
I was thinking of configuring my 7200 satas in a raid 0 configuration. How would this compare to two separate 10k satas? BTW, thanx for the pics!

Also, what power cord to the board are you talking about? I am going with only one video card for now...can expand in the future...

NathanA said:
I was thinking of configuring my 7200 satas in a raid 0 configuration. How would this compare to two separate 10k satas? BTW, thanx for the pics!

I guess you would lose about 35-50% in speed with seek time ect. Keep in mind this is in milliseconds. same sort of issue with lcd monitors.

If you raid/0 the drives you have now ..its all good. The only way i think you would notice any difference is on benchmark tests. For the most part the game you are playing (unless you are changing levels or loading of course) comes from the ram and ram speed.... front side bus.

So kick this mobo in NOS setting or auto overclock and it kinda works on the fly ..only overclocks when its needed.

or you could go all freakin out and get a scsi pci adapter and get a couple 15000rpm cheetas haha.

1 last thing ... asus and amd recommend MUSHKIN ram. Again i think its probably preference but ive always had great luck with mushkin. you ever have a problem with it they will send you another stick before theyve even received the one from you as long as its promised you sent it while they send yours.

Great on the BFG ultra ..yer gonna need a beefy powersupply ... maybe the neopower thing from antec?

Haha yeah...could you please tell me what type of extra cable I will need?

Trainmaster, what on earth do you have all those other wires in there for? (referring to the red/black/yellow power wires) I have the same exact power supply, and my case looks much neater. here's a link to the pic of mine i posted somewhere in the forums. If you want, i could post a newer pic of it, and better pic... this pic is probably a month and a half old. if u want me to, just say so. X-Connect power supplies do rule though. not one thing i found bad about it.

http://www.osnn.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=5131

Nathan, if you're worried about space for wires, you could always try a case like mine, MGE Quantum, though i must warn you it is quite heavy being made out of steel. not an EXTREMELY high case, but it is quite long. could probably also lay my old case down next to it if i take a new pic. Also, the tool-free clips it uses for PCI/AGP slots aren't that great. they work, but if you're using a big video card, which i'm assuming it would be, you'd have to try to trim down the side of the tool-free clip because it rubs against the edge of the video card when you try to lock it in place.

ElementalDragon said:
Trainmaster, what on earth do you have all those other wires in there for? (referring to the red/black/yellow power wires) I have the same exact power supply, and my case looks much neater. here's a link to the pic of mine i posted somewhere in the forums. If you want, i could post a newer pic of it, and better pic... this pic is probably a month and a half old. if u want me to, just say so. X-Connect power supplies do rule though. not one thing i found bad about it.

http://www.osnn.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=5131

Nathan, if you're worried about space for wires, you could always try a case like mine, MGE Quantum, though i must warn you it is quite heavy being made out of steel. not an EXTREMELY high case, but it is quite long. could probably also lay my old case down next to it if i take a new pic. Also, the tool-free clips it uses for PCI/AGP slots aren't that great. they work, but if you're using a big video card, which i'm assuming it would be, you'd have to try to trim down the side of the tool-free clip because it rubs against the edge of the video card when you try to lock it in place.

i need more ultra xconnect power cables heh. since both video cards take 2 power connections each ..it puts everything out of whack. then even another powercable to run from one of the plugs on the first video card to the motherboard itself.

so i have 9 plugs that have to be directly connected to the power supply.

please post a picture of your computer in its newest form. Also, is it SLI?

not SLI (but i wish it was *drools*) if you looked at the link i posted you would have seen that. running a single Leadtek GeForce 6800GT AGP8x. i'll try to get the pic here ASAP, also try to get a size comparison between my previous case, and my current one.

ElementalDragon said:
not SLI (but i wish it was *drools*) if you looked at the link i posted you would have seen that. running a single Leadtek GeForce 6800GT AGP8x. i'll try to get the pic here ASAP, also try to get a size comparison between my previous case, and my current one.

I did look and before i said anything i was just making sure it wasnt SLI now because you had mentioned a newer picture. Just a misunderstanding. Also it isnt quite as bad as it seems because i had to stretch the image to post on here.

Attachments

• ppp1.jpg
    ppp1.jpg
    375 KB · Views: 71
  • ppp2.jpg
    ppp2.jpg
    258.3 KB · Views: 65
trainmaster, what sort of extra mb cable will i need? also, i am thinking of going with a single gt instead...is it really worth it to go ultra? i can always add another gt in the future...

well - see my spec, but change the case to something else recomended to you, make the PSU a Tagan 480W, throw in a couple of 19" TFT's (you'll get a real kick out of two heads up, so it's worth a bit more spend) Save some money and go for a low spec KB for now, but go mad and splash out on teh MX1000 from Logitech.

Try that little lot - if it is not in budget, over to you to look for where you'll make teh savings (but I would suggest not teh PSU, mobo, RAM, or processor!)

trainmaster77 said:
well if you wanna do quiet yer budget is too small. ....

He is right you know! The number one must have considerations here for budget AND "relatively" quiet will be (not necessarily in this order):-

1. Case - needs to be big to breath easy with minimal airflow.
2. PSU - needs to be quiet (the Tagan is!)
3. GFX - these can scream - if you stick around ATI 9600 you can passively cool them with a $40 Zalmann kit (I know because I do)

Of course another WTG is to build a system and then assess the noise it makes and attack "quieting" it as an add on, with separate budget. Be aware this can get pricey - I spent almost £200 quieting my old XP3000, but have to say it is my quietest build to date, better than the one in my sig for noise output! If you are serious about quiet you aill have to revisit where you stand on water....

Here is a link for your quieting needs - those guy know their stuff - check them on the Sonata they discuss that and others a lot!

I'm going to just list what I would want in a PC if I were to go all out. No prices included.

AMD64 FX53 (Would look around a lot for the best price)
MSI K8N Neo4 SLI
2x BFG 6800GT (OC them to Ultra Speed)
1GB Ram (With Samsung TCCD Chips)
2x 74GB WD Raptor
Either the OCZ PowerStream 600W or a PCPSU 510W SLI Deluxe
SB Audigy 2 Plat ZS (No need to go Audigy 4 since the difference is only 15db)
Logitech MX1000 Laser Mouse
Keyboard would be the LX700 Keyboard from Logitech

Dual 19-20" LCDs (Dell 2005FP Ultrasharp or something)

If you can't do the Dual monitors, then cut back on your processor. Go with an AMD64 3500 and overclock it or even a 3200 and overclock it. Want to keep it silent. Go with Water cooling. Or get a Thermalright XP90 and a Panaflo 120mm Medium fan.

I like the Simple Antec Aluminum Full tower cases. But that Thermaltake Tsunami, and Armor cases look pretty nice.

NathanA said:
trainmaster, what sort of extra mb cable will i need? also, i am thinking of going with a single gt instead...is it really worth it to go ultra? i can always add another gt in the future...

Honestly thats the way i felt but soon decided to get 2 gt's.

depending on the powersupply you pick up ... you will definitely need a molex to run from 1 of the power leads on the video card to the motherboard. if you can see the diagram a few posts up its labeled in red.
BUT you supposedly dont need this if you are only going to run one video card according to the manual on the motherboard. this is officially stated as the asus ezplug.

As you may or may not know ... the pci express video cards need 2 power connections. This is easiest accomplished by a modular power supply ... and they are actually 69 bucks right now at www.xoxide.com. they come with a 20 pin connector and for the asus board you will need a 24 pin cable which this site sells to for like 8 bucks. i ran on the 20 pin for a couple weeks but decided id rather be safe and purchased the 24 pin.

you can get them in all colors and even with colored lighting if thats your thing.

ShepsCrook said:
I'm going to just list what I would want in a PC if I were to go all out. No prices included.

AMD64 FX53 (Would look around a lot for the best price)
MSI K8N Neo4 SLI
2x BFG 6800GT (OC them to Ultra Speed)
1GB Ram (With Samsung TCCD Chips)
2x 74GB WD Raptor
Either the OCZ PowerStream 600W or a PCPSU 510W SLI Deluxe
SB Audigy 2 Plat ZS (No need to go Audigy 4 since the difference is only 15db)
Logitech MX1000 Laser Mouse
Keyboard would be the LX700 Keyboard from Logitech

Dual 19-20" LCDs (Dell 2005FP Ultrasharp or something)

If you can't do the Dual monitors, then cut back on your processor. Go with an AMD64 3500 and overclock it or even a 3200 and overclock it. Want to keep it silent. Go with Water cooling. Or get a Thermalright XP90 and a Panaflo 120mm Medium fan.

I like the Simple Antec Aluminum Full tower cases. But that Thermaltake Tsunami, and Armor cases look pretty nice.

to hell with raptors ...get a scsi pci adapter and get 2 or 10 (haha) seagate 15000rpm cheeta drives.

and a possible correction ... when running in SLI mode you can only use 1 monitor :( or maybe its both dvi outputs on the master video card. I dunno really. But it does say after enabling SLI that other monitors may not or will not work in this mode blah blah blah

MFG, or, if he wants to go ULTRA quiet.... he could always put what is it..... like $1000 for the Zalman TNN case. that thing's still a beauty. just kindding on that. don't think i've ever even HEARD of someone with that case....

Here's the pics of my case. would have posted the side-by-side of my old case.... but i realized that it wasn't THAT much of a difference. only like 2 inches at the top and a few inches in the front, but most of the room in the front is from the 2 swinging doors. Would have had the pics up sooner, but i realized after having my PC turned on and everything... that i forgot to reattach the side panel that has the 2 92mm fans on it. funny that i realized that wasn't on by the fact that i could hear my CPU fan whining slightly. the noises you can get accustomed to, or notice a lack of, is uncanny, ain't it?

Attachments

• DSC00019.JPG
    DSC00019.JPG
    90.6 KB · Views: 71
  • DSC00024.JPG
    DSC00024.JPG
    78.7 KB · Views: 74
  • DSC00025.JPG
    DSC00025.JPG
    65 KB · Views: 70
ElementalDragon said:
MFG, or, if he wants to go ULTRA quiet.... he could always put what is it..... like $1000 for the Zalman TNN case. that thing's still a beauty. just kindding on that. don't think i've ever even HEARD of someone with that case....

Here's the pics of my case. would have posted the side-by-side of my old case.... but i realized that it wasn't THAT much of a difference. only like 2 inches at the top and a few inches in the front, but most of the room in the front is from the 2 swinging doors. Would have had the pics up sooner, but i realized after having my PC turned on and everything... that i forgot to reattach the side panel that has the 2 92mm fans on it. funny that i realized that wasn't on by the fact that i could hear my CPU fan whining slightly. the noises you can get accustomed to, or notice a lack of, is uncanny, ain't it?

yeah ..only bad thing about the asus a8n sli deluxe mobo is all the ide and power, floppy outlets are in the same place or i wouldnt have quite so much clutter.

BTW where did you get your ide cable? thats pretty nice. And ..real clean case bro ... nice.

Reason why I didn't choose SCSI drives, is the cost with everything else would be too much. And he did say he wanted it to be pretty quiet. Raptors aren't that much more quiet, but it's a start.

Ordered the cable online. Antec Cobra Cable. quite the nice cable, though not extremely pliable, and not extremely cheap. I also figured out that, with my case, there are 3 screws on the back to remove the screwless clips. If that's removed, then the cards can still be screwed in as usual, then you can just remove the screwless clip for that card from the mount, and screw the mount back on. now i haven't had any vibrating sounds, cept for the door on the front, but that's easily stoppable.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back