• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

where are the dual core applications?

i'm about to invest a tiny tiny bit on a dual core laptop. i am wondering if i really need to, or if i should get an older (read: cheaper) laptop.

i understand if a program makes threads it will process the requests faster but where is the huge list of dual core optimized software?? i googles to no avail.

Sazar

F@H - Is it in you?
Staff member
Political User
Dual is the better way to go.

Even if not all apps take advantage of multi-threading, the actual product is still smoother and feels a lot more efficient for day to day apps.

And there are more and more apps that take advantage of the multi-threading capabilities.

Sazar

F@H - Is it in you?
Staff member
Political User
Quake 4 shows visible improvement in performance on dual-core v/s single core and there are some authoring apps out there (professional) which are multi-threaded.

I would expect, with the ps3 and xb360 both being multi-core, gaming at least will see more multi-threading introduced.

kcnychief

█▄█ ▀█▄ █
Political User
Another thing to keep in mind dubstar, is that while there might not be alot now, there is bound to be some in the future. I think since you seem to be concerned with cost, I would weigh the pros/cons of the purchase, and then match it to the difference in price. Then, make the best decision that works out for YOU :)

is there a reason to choose, lets say, a 1.86 dual core over a 3ghz single core HT?

-thanks for the quick replies, by the way.

-- wondering if i should wait for 64bit dual core.. :)

Last edited:

Sazar

F@H - Is it in you?
Staff member
Political User
dubstar said:
is there a reason to choose, lets say, a 1.86 dual core over a 3ghz single core HT?
3ghz implies a p4.

For a notebook a p4 is not the recommended route to go.

It's hotter and performance is the same or less. Plus, battery life sucks compared to a p-M based config.

-thanks for the quick replies, by the way.

-- wondering if i should wait for 64bit dual core.. :)
Merom is round the corner, I would probably wait if possible. Price will likely be a little higher.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ernestrojasn