where are the dual core applications?

dubstar

format c:
i'm about to invest a tiny tiny bit on a dual core laptop. i am wondering if i really need to, or if i should get an older (read: cheaper) laptop.

i understand if a program makes threads it will process the requests faster but where is the huge list of dual core optimized software?? i googles to no avail.

Dual is the better way to go.

Even if not all apps take advantage of multi-threading, the actual product is still smoother and feels a lot more efficient for day to day apps.

And there are more and more apps that take advantage of the multi-threading capabilities.

Now that is weird.

There are multithread development systems and benchmarks available but no hits on anyone bragging about having multithread software or being able to use dual CPUs.

http://www.amdcompare.com/ecosystem/en-us/amd64/default.aspx

On the other hand I'm doing an avi to dvd conversion right now and really wish I had a dual CPU. My internet is choking because of the conversion.

Quake 4 shows visible improvement in performance on dual-core v/s single core and there are some authoring apps out there (professional) which are multi-threaded.

I would expect, with the ps3 and xb360 both being multi-core, gaming at least will see more multi-threading introduced.

Another thing to keep in mind dubstar, is that while there might not be alot now, there is bound to be some in the future. I think since you seem to be concerned with cost, I would weigh the pros/cons of the purchase, and then match it to the difference in price. Then, make the best decision that works out for YOU :)

Dual core should go mainstream this year, so I'd expect more dual core optimized apps to come out.

is there a reason to choose, lets say, a 1.86 dual core over a 3ghz single core HT?

-thanks for the quick replies, by the way.

-- wondering if i should wait for 64bit dual core.. :)

Last edited:
dubstar said:
is there a reason to choose, lets say, a 1.86 dual core over a 3ghz single core HT?

3ghz implies a p4.

For a notebook a p4 is not the recommended route to go.

It's hotter and performance is the same or less. Plus, battery life sucks compared to a p-M based config.

-thanks for the quick replies, by the way.

-- wondering if i should wait for 64bit dual core.. :)

Merom is round the corner, I would probably wait if possible. Price will likely be a little higher.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back