What would cause a BIOS to see SATA drives, but not the RAID management software?

Brad

OSNN Veteran Addict
Political User
I have two 74GB 10K RPM drives that I want to set up in a RAID1. According to the BIOS the drives can be seen and the SATA ports are enabled, but when I get to the RAID configuration software (Silicon Image) the drives are not installed....

Can someone help me please?

Aprox

OSNN Veteran Addict
Political User
So while in the Raid Configuration, when you go to create array they do not show up? Unless you have an array already configured the config software will not show the drives, except in the create array menu.

Brad

OSNN Veteran Addict
Political User
If I go to "Create Array" it says that there are not enough disks to create the array.

trainmaster77

OSNN Senior Addict
Political User
did you load a different driver for them? Silicone Image is on my mobo ..but i use the nvidia raid ports. The first time i installed sata drives i did exactly that ..loaded silicone image when i wanted the nvidia ones.

Just a thought.

Brad

OSNN Veteran Addict
Political User
There is no where to add drivers though. This is what comes up immediately after getting out of the initial boot-up screen.

LeeJend

OSNN Veteran Addict
This post seems familiar. As I recall from the last post the drives were plugged into the wrong set of SATA ports to work with the RAID installation program. But I'm old and senile and my memory and other critical body parts are going...

Brad

OSNN Veteran Addict
Political User
I haven't changed my hardware configuration. I had a boot sector virus and had to clear out and start over again

LeeJend

OSNN Veteran Addict
Ahh, so you re-wrote the boot sector to remove the virus. That means foot print and volume data is no longer the same.

Windows will not recognize the disk after doing this because a Windows DRM footprint has been removed. You need to do a format and partition just like with a new HD out of the box.

Brad

OSNN Veteran Addict
Political User
Yes, I understand that. The problem lies in the fact that the RAID management software--which gets loaded before windows--doesn't even see the drives

Brad

OSNN Veteran Addict
Political User
I tried reformatting the drives and the drives themselves are seen by windows under the Silicon Image controller, but if I go into the Silicon Image Manager, the drives do not show. Weirdest thing I have ever seen. Well, I have seen weirder at a certain entertainment venue in Tijuana but I digress

Members online

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Ep, glad to see you come back and tidy up...did want to ask a one day favor, I want to enhance my resume , was hoping you could make me administrator for a day, if so, take me right off since I won't be here to do anything, and don't know the slightest about the board, but it would be nice putting "served administrator osnn", if can do, THANKS

Been running around Quora lately, luv it there https://tinyurl.com/ycpxl
Electronic Punk wrote on Perris Calderon's profile.
All good still mate?
Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Poseeut