What would cause a BIOS to see SATA drives, but not the RAID management software?

Brad

OSNN Veteran Addict
Political Access
I have two 74GB 10K RPM drives that I want to set up in a RAID1. According to the BIOS the drives can be seen and the SATA ports are enabled, but when I get to the RAID configuration software (Silicon Image) the drives are not installed....

Can someone help me please?

So while in the Raid Configuration, when you go to create array they do not show up? Unless you have an array already configured the config software will not show the drives, except in the create array menu.

If I go to "Create Array" it says that there are not enough disks to create the array.

did you load a different driver for them? Silicone Image is on my mobo ..but i use the nvidia raid ports. The first time i installed sata drives i did exactly that ..loaded silicone image when i wanted the nvidia ones.

Just a thought.

There is no where to add drivers though. This is what comes up immediately after getting out of the initial boot-up screen.

This post seems familiar. As I recall from the last post the drives were plugged into the wrong set of SATA ports to work with the RAID installation program. But I'm old and senile and my memory and other critical body parts are going...

I haven't changed my hardware configuration. I had a boot sector virus and had to clear out and start over again

Ahh, so you re-wrote the boot sector to remove the virus. That means foot print and volume data is no longer the same.

Windows will not recognize the disk after doing this because a Windows DRM footprint has been removed. You need to do a format and partition just like with a new HD out of the box.

Yes, I understand that. The problem lies in the fact that the RAID management software--which gets loaded before windows--doesn't even see the drives

Format the drives individually from the windows CD then go back and build the raid. I should have been more specific.

OK, I will try that

I tried reformatting the drives and the drives themselves are seen by windows under the Silicon Image controller, but if I go into the Silicon Image Manager, the drives do not show. Weirdest thing I have ever seen. Well, I have seen weirder at a certain entertainment venue in Tijuana but I digress

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back