• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

What does this mean

Z

zoey

Disk boot failure, insert system disk and press enter. My sister has a Compaq computer and that is the message she gets when she starts up the PC. Virus?

D

dadx2mj

The error is telling you it cant find a disk to boot off of. Check the power and ribbon cables going to the HDD. If that is all good my guess is either a HDD or HDD controller failure.

A

allan

If the cables are okay, it could be a boot sector error or a failing HD. Run chkdsk /r on your boot drive. Also, make sure you have a current backup just in case.

not to sound stupid, but questions are asked about other operating systems besides winxp. What operating system does she use? If win95 or win98 put boot disk in a drive and type fdisk/mbr then sys c:. the hard drive may have lost the boot files do to many things including a boot virus.

C

Corolla568

i actually got this error when i accidentally didn't push in a stick of ram all the way. Try to check your ram, or switch the slots or something. It could be that.

Z

zoey

went there this morning, took the drive out and one of the chips hsd a big burn mark on it. My old drive in worked fine in it. She needed a bigger one anyways.

Members online

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sanoravies