What does this mean

Z

zoey

Disk boot failure, insert system disk and press enter. My sister has a Compaq computer and that is the message she gets when she starts up the PC. Virus?

No, thats the first thing I told her. I was hoping it was it

Posted by scriptasylum
...or CDROMS :)

Although I'm sure zoey thought of that too since he thought of the floppy thing already.

yup.

The error is telling you it cant find a disk to boot off of. Check the power and ribbon cables going to the HDD. If that is all good my guess is either a HDD or HDD controller failure.

If the cables are okay, it could be a boot sector error or a failing HD. Run chkdsk /r on your boot drive. Also, make sure you have a current backup just in case.

not to sound stupid, but questions are asked about other operating systems besides winxp. What operating system does she use? If win95 or win98 put boot disk in a drive and type fdisk/mbr then sys c:. the hard drive may have lost the boot files do to many things including a boot virus.

And so those questions would be asked in 'Other Operating Systems' to avoid the confusion. :D

i actually got this error when i accidentally didn't push in a stick of ram all the way. Try to check your ram, or switch the slots or something. It could be that.

thanks I'll try all the above. Sorry, I was not thinking it was Win98.

Zoey,
Did you ever get this issue resolved? Iowaboy's post should have helped...

went there this morning, took the drive out and one of the chips hsd a big burn mark on it. My old drive in worked fine in it. She needed a bigger one anyways.

Well how stupid is that error message? Shouldn't it have said something like 'hard disk failure. you're stuffed. Get a new one'?

lolz true say
compputers ....they say their as dumb as the person behind em...
i think they're dumber

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back