What do you do with Old hardware?

I'd save up the parts to build whole systems then donate them to charities and get a tax write-off for 10 times what they are worth, except.... You need a legally liscenced copy of windows and applications software.

You could try installing Linux and Open Office for free but then no one would want them.

So mainly I keep them for spare parts until they are so old they have 0 value.

BTW if you are going to trash stuff put it out on top of the trash where it can be clearly seen. I put out an old epson with a damaged black ink head and a good (but antique parallel scsi) at 5:30 PM and they were gone by 8:30 PM the same evening.

Spare parts incase something breaks down the road, or I build LAN servers/test machines/routers. An old P-166 running m0n0wall works amazingly well for a hardware router. :)

Hmm, HEY MODs! A new idea.

Add a thread to the trading post. "Free to Good Home". People can post anything they have that needs a new home and isn't worth the hassle of EBAY. Recipient to provide shipping.

OSNN could become a magnet for the hardware challenged of past years.

:)

We kinda already have something like that...its the trading post.

TittleBitties said:
We kinda already have something like that...its the trading post.

yet to try it, i think ill put my parts up there. when i feel the urge, lol

leave it at the curb.
someone will drive by, and take it.

i once put an entire gym set at the curb. some little old lady heaved it into her van and drove off. i forgot to include the boxes of bolts, screws and safety pins....

couple weeks ago i had a computer monitor out in the snow. it was covered in snow. the snow melted and some guy took it.

i have no idea what people do with this junk

I have some memory out of a PC-AT around here somewhere.......

I can't believe noone mensioned folding! Make a folding machine out of it. Plain and simple. ;)

I keep it in case I have something go bad in my current rig

I'd take out the RAM, GFX, HDD and soundcard and put them in the new system. However, if I want the latest of everything, I usually give the old pc to my family to use. :)

You may decide to sell the old machine if there is nothing that you want to keep or have absolutely no use of certain parts of it.

OT: Ming--I have often wondered this...why is your CPU underclocked?

Brad said:
OT: Ming--I have often wondered this...why is your CPU underclocked?

Ahh, forgot to change it. Had it underclocked during summer 2003 coz of the heatwave in UK. :p
Also, coz I usually format my pc every 6 months or so, I didn't need to extra speed so I left it underclocked up until Oct/Nov 2004. :)
To me, it does help to keep my money in my pocket rather than upgrading too regularly. This current system will last me until 2006, but knowing me, I'd want to get the latest gadgets and upgrades ASAP. hehe. Hope I can wait that long.

ming said:
Ahh, forgot to change it. Had it underclocked during summer 2003 coz of the heatwave in UK. :p
Also, coz I usually format my pc every 6 months or so, I didn't need to extra speed so I left it underclocked up until Oct/Nov 2004. :)
To me, it does help to keep my money in my pocket rather than upgrading too regularly. This current system will last me until 2006, but knowing me, I'd want to get the latest gadgets and upgrades ASAP. hehe. Hope I can wait that long.

oh ok, i have been wondering that for a while, so i thought i would ask.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vinit
Back