• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Weird lag spikes

RagnaroK

Must be dreaming...
Hi,
Only recently, when I'm listening to music, or playing games (especially Splinter Cell), or watching AVIs, randomly I get these weird lag spikes where my computer freezes for less than a second... sometimes a bit longer and then just resumes what it was doing. It's quite odd, and I can't seem to find the cause to it. Also occasionally... my sound gets killed all together, forcing me to restart to regain sound. Any ideas?

Your HD may be going into sleep mode. It takes about a second or two to spin up when there is a data request so you may get a playback dropout.

The music quiting altogether sounds like something else.

RagnaroK

Must be dreaming...
Lee said:
Updating your audio drivers!
Chase™ said:
ya update audio drivers
lol. Actually, downgrading my audio drivers to a previous version seemed to lessen the likelihood of the lag occurring. But I'll try upgrading again to see what happens.

LeeJend said:
Your HD may be going into sleep mode. It takes about a second or two to spin up when there is a data request so you may get a playback dropout.

The music quiting altogether sounds like something else.
Sleep mode huh? Is that in power options? If it is, then that can't be it. I don't turn off my HDDs after a specific time of inactivity.

gonaads

Beware the G-Man
Political User
How's the temp of the system?

Also did you overclock yer Mem?

Also check inside yer box to see if ther'e a ton of dust in it. Clean it out. Shut down and unplug, then unplug the Sound Card and reinsert it. Reboot and see if the sound works properly. Could be a loose connection.

RagnaroK

Must be dreaming...
gonaads said:
How's the temp of the system?

Also did you overclock yer Mem?

Also check inside yer box to see if ther'e a ton of dust in it. Clean it out. Shut down and unplug, then unplug the Sound Card and reinsert it. Reboot and see if the sound works properly. Could be a loose connection.
Thanks, but me comp seems ok now; the lag was most likely caused because I was overclocking the CPU. Turned down the o/c a couple of notches, and it's running like it used to. Though I'd have to heed your advice gonaads, and clean out my comp... ;)
Thanks everyone for ya help.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Ep, glad to see you come back and tidy up...did want to ask a one day favor, I want to enhance my resume , was hoping you could make me administrator for a day, if so, take me right off since I won't be here to do anything, and don't know the slightest about the board, but it would be nice putting "served administrator osnn", if can do, THANKS

Been running around Quora lately, luv it there https://tinyurl.com/ycpxl
Electronic Punk wrote on Perris Calderon's profile.
All good still mate?
Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
loxioalix