Weird lag spikes

RagnaroK

Must be dreaming...
Hi,
Only recently, when I'm listening to music, or playing games (especially Splinter Cell), or watching AVIs, randomly I get these weird lag spikes where my computer freezes for less than a second... sometimes a bit longer and then just resumes what it was doing. It's quite odd, and I can't seem to find the cause to it. Also occasionally... my sound gets killed all together, forcing me to restart to regain sound. Any ideas?

Both Adaware and Spybot... nothing threatening. Antivirus... not recently, but I doubt it could be a virus.

Roger that... I'll run a full scan later and get back to you. ;)

Your HD may be going into sleep mode. It takes about a second or two to spin up when there is a data request so you may get a playback dropout.

The music quiting altogether sounds like something else.

Lee said:
Updating your audio drivers!
Chase™ said:
ya update audio drivers
lol. Actually, downgrading my audio drivers to a previous version seemed to lessen the likelihood of the lag occurring. But I'll try upgrading again to see what happens.

LeeJend said:
Your HD may be going into sleep mode. It takes about a second or two to spin up when there is a data request so you may get a playback dropout.

The music quiting altogether sounds like something else.
Sleep mode huh? Is that in power options? If it is, then that can't be it. I don't turn off my HDDs after a specific time of inactivity.

Actually, was wondering whether CPU overclocking could contribute to such weird random lag??

How's the temp of the system?

Also did you overclock yer Mem?

Also check inside yer box to see if ther'e a ton of dust in it. Clean it out. Shut down and unplug, then unplug the Sound Card and reinsert it. Reboot and see if the sound works properly. Could be a loose connection.

gonaads said:
How's the temp of the system?

Also did you overclock yer Mem?

Also check inside yer box to see if ther'e a ton of dust in it. Clean it out. Shut down and unplug, then unplug the Sound Card and reinsert it. Reboot and see if the sound works properly. Could be a loose connection.
Thanks, but me comp seems ok now; the lag was most likely caused because I was overclocking the CPU. Turned down the o/c a couple of notches, and it's running like it used to. Though I'd have to heed your advice gonaads, and clean out my comp... ;)
Thanks everyone for ya help.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back