• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

website costs?

F

fedele

Hi:

I am planning to build a website with articles and news and a forum like this one PHP. You know standard stuff , not custom made. I am planning on maintining it myself with the help of volunteers.

Now, as a big time NEWBIE. can you guys recomend hosting options, a decent price for the backend and frontend design that I should pay? you know an aproximate in order not to get ripped off.

Any ideas or advice are welcome.

Perris Calderon

Administrator
Staff member
Political User
fedele

I am also putting together a forum, based in medicine...allready have notable physicians and researchers on board.

this is a great thread, so thanx for starting this...we will learn together

F

fedele

really?

Originally posted by dealer
fedele

I am also putting together a forum, based in medicine...allready have notable physicians and researchers on board.

this is a great thread, so thanx for starting this...we will learn together

what's that supposed to mean?...

OOOHHH I get it MR. BIGTIME WEB DESIGNER PROGRAMMER SIR , sorry if I intruded into your HIGH PROFILE BUSINESS EXECUTIVE DECISSION MAKING LIFE....but thanks for taking some time from your BUUUSSSSSY AGENDA to reply to my miserable post....you probably know it all about computers, but HEY! I BET that's all you know about and care about and you don't give yourself a chance to learn soomething new and enjoy it. RIGHT? Yes I will LEARN LEARN LEARN.....and ANY advice is appreaciated and welcome. Isn't that what a forum is all about?

:confused:

Perris Calderon

Administrator
Staff member
Political User
fidele

you missunderstood my post

I really am in the dark about this with you...I am not a mtr web sisgner at all.

I really am looking forward to this thread...I'm surorised you thought my post was facetious...it is not

Sazar

F@H - Is it in you?
Staff member
Political User
Re: really?

Originally posted by fedele
what's that supposed to mean?...

OOOHHH I get it MR. BIGTIME WEB DESIGNER PROGRAMMER SIR , sorry if I intruded into your HIGH PROFILE BUSINESS EXECUTIVE DECISSION MAKING LIFE....but thanks for taking some time from your BUUUSSSSSY AGENDA to reply to my miserable post....you probably know it all about computers, but HEY! I BET that's all you know about and care about and you don't give yourself a chance to learn soomething new and enjoy it. RIGHT? Yes I will LEARN LEARN LEARN.....and ANY advice is appreaciated and welcome. Isn't that what a forum is all about?

:confused:
there was not reason for you to flame dealer...

behavior like that has no place here m8... dealer was making a statement on what he himself is doing..

personally I have not been out there setting up large websites like this place.. BUT I did have a look around @ a few places to see the prices... for hosting a website like you have said..

the general thing seems to be the usage... I suppose as your bandwidth usage increases... a cost increase is only appropriate...

http://www.low-cost-web-hosting-guide.com/globat.shtml

this is just an example... of the bandwitdh et al that comes... untill people like waddy/electronic punk/mdsalih and others respond.... people who have more info on the costs on running THIS website... hopefully the link I provided will serve as some form of guideline for you to see the approximate costs...

reason I linked that page is coz it is actually a webhosting review... has advantages and disadvantages of the listed hosts listed...

F

fedele

Originally posted by dealer
fidele

you missunderstood my post

I really am in the dark about this with you...I am not a mtr web sisgner at all.

I really am looking forward to this thread...I'm surorised you thought my post was facetious...it is not

oh man I feel terrible.... embarrassed.... English is my second language and I really misunderstood, I thought you were being sarcastic with the medicine thread....anyway accept my apologies. I hope you understand. Sorry again!

Perris Calderon

Administrator
Staff member
Political User
sazar...thanx for that link...I'll get to it later today

my idea of course, is to get running as inexpensively as possible, and increase bandwidth if the need arises...hopefully, and then, the expense will take care of itself

madmatt

Bow Down to the King
Political User
dealer
if you are looking for help on your site, my best friend is a super smart RPh, and I am not kidding; he knows it all. let me know, he may be interested in helping out.

I am also in the process of learnin PHP as well. I want to make a PHP/MySQL based site. I got some books on it. I am plannin on doing most of it with DreamWeaverMX.

A good PHP testing solution, phpdev
get version 432 as that is the most recent version of PHP that most servers will be running at the mo. The alternative is to get Apache, PHP and MySQL and install and config them on your PC separately.
PHPdev: http://www.firepages.com.au
Apache and PHP on Windows : http://www.xp-erience.org/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=25153

SPeedY_B

I may actually be insane.
Heh, well VirtuaNews and vB seem to do the job fine.

I think it was back when xp was whistler and xp-erience had those luna themes that it was phpnuke... cant remember, was too long ago :p :D

F

fedele

hmmm...not sure if I want to spend all that time learning PHP/MySQL stuff...plus HTML and FLASH (cool)

Anyway these are the BASIC costs I have come up with so far after searching the web page sazar recommended and others:

vBulletin $135 a year (second year is $85)
Domain name $19.95 a year
Hosting $7.95 a month $96 a year.

Total costs $250.95

;)

madmatt

Bow Down to the King
Political User
Shop around on the domain reg, I know of places you can get it for 15/year. I get mine for 10/year through Tucows/opensrs.net

You just have to find a site that participates.

As for learning PHP/mySQL, I suggest you look into it. You can make killer websites with these two very powerful open source languages. And best of all, it's not that hard once you get the hang of it.

F

fedele

Yes, but basically that's the cost ....let's round the numbers to $200 a year if you search in the allies of the net for the lowest cost...:p

Now what about the design? Any suggestions on really cool templates?

SPeedY_B

I may actually be insane.
madmatt
I know of places you can get it for 15/year. I get mine for 10/year through Tucows/opensrs.net
£3.50 a year for my domain ... good ol' .co.uk, cheap as. :D

fedele
Now what about the design? Any suggestions on really cool templates?
Best design? one you made yourself.
If you're going to be making a big site, with a large community/number of users you're probably going to end up using some form of content management system (possibly more cost). eg this site uses VirtuaNews, so you will probably be able to get pre-made templates/themes.

Members online

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Ep, glad to see you come back and tidy up...did want to ask a one day favor, I want to enhance my resume , was hoping you could make me administrator for a day, if so, take me right off since I won't be here to do anything, and don't know the slightest about the board, but it would be nice putting "served administrator osnn", if can do, THANKS

Been running around Quora lately, luv it there https://tinyurl.com/ycpxl
Electronic Punk wrote on Perris Calderon's profile.
All good still mate?
Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadgymenu