website costs?

F

fedele

Hi:

I am planning to build a website with articles and news and a forum like this one PHP. You know standard stuff , not custom made. I am planning on maintining it myself with the help of volunteers.

Now, as a big time NEWBIE. can you guys recomend hosting options, a decent price for the backend and frontend design that I should pay? you know an aproximate in order not to get ripped off.

Any ideas or advice are welcome.

fedele

I am also putting together a forum, based in medicine...allready have notable physicians and researchers on board.

this is a great thread, so thanx for starting this...we will learn together

really?

Originally posted by dealer
fedele

I am also putting together a forum, based in medicine...allready have notable physicians and researchers on board.

this is a great thread, so thanx for starting this...we will learn together

what's that supposed to mean?...

OOOHHH I get it MR. BIGTIME WEB DESIGNER PROGRAMMER SIR , sorry if I intruded into your HIGH PROFILE BUSINESS EXECUTIVE DECISSION MAKING LIFE....but thanks for taking some time from your BUUUSSSSSY AGENDA to reply to my miserable post....you probably know it all about computers, but HEY! I BET that's all you know about and care about and you don't give yourself a chance to learn soomething new and enjoy it. RIGHT? Yes I will LEARN LEARN LEARN.....and ANY advice is appreaciated and welcome. Isn't that what a forum is all about?

:confused:

fidele

you missunderstood my post

I really am in the dark about this with you...I am not a mtr web sisgner at all.

I really am looking forward to this thread...I'm surorised you thought my post was facetious...it is not

Re: really?

Originally posted by fedele
what's that supposed to mean?...

OOOHHH I get it MR. BIGTIME WEB DESIGNER PROGRAMMER SIR , sorry if I intruded into your HIGH PROFILE BUSINESS EXECUTIVE DECISSION MAKING LIFE....but thanks for taking some time from your BUUUSSSSSY AGENDA to reply to my miserable post....you probably know it all about computers, but HEY! I BET that's all you know about and care about and you don't give yourself a chance to learn soomething new and enjoy it. RIGHT? Yes I will LEARN LEARN LEARN.....and ANY advice is appreaciated and welcome. Isn't that what a forum is all about?

:confused:

there was not reason for you to flame dealer...

behavior like that has no place here m8... dealer was making a statement on what he himself is doing..

personally I have not been out there setting up large websites like this place.. BUT I did have a look around @ a few places to see the prices... for hosting a website like you have said..

the general thing seems to be the usage... I suppose as your bandwidth usage increases... a cost increase is only appropriate...

http://www.low-cost-web-hosting-guide.com/globat.shtml

this is just an example... of the bandwitdh et al that comes... untill people like waddy/electronic punk/mdsalih and others respond.... people who have more info on the costs on running THIS website... hopefully the link I provided will serve as some form of guideline for you to see the approximate costs...

reason I linked that page is coz it is actually a webhosting review... has advantages and disadvantages of the listed hosts listed...

Originally posted by dealer
fidele

you missunderstood my post

I really am in the dark about this with you...I am not a mtr web sisgner at all.

I really am looking forward to this thread...I'm surorised you thought my post was facetious...it is not

oh man I feel terrible.... embarrassed.... English is my second language and I really misunderstood, I thought you were being sarcastic with the medicine thread....anyway accept my apologies. I hope you understand. Sorry again!

sazar...thanx for that link...I'll get to it later today

my idea of course, is to get running as inexpensively as possible, and increase bandwidth if the need arises...hopefully, and then, the expense will take care of itself

dealer
if you are looking for help on your site, my best friend is a super smart RPh, and I am not kidding; he knows it all. let me know, he may be interested in helping out.

haha @ the tiny misunderstanding...

messing on with phpnuke taught me alot about php!

I am also in the process of learnin PHP as well. I want to make a PHP/MySQL based site. I got some books on it. I am plannin on doing most of it with DreamWeaverMX.

A good PHP testing solution, phpdev
get version 432 as that is the most recent version of PHP that most servers will be running at the mo. The alternative is to get Apache, PHP and MySQL and install and config them on your PC separately.
PHPdev: http://www.firepages.com.au
Apache and PHP on Windows : http://www.xp-erience.org/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=25153

Originally posted by Electronic Punk
messing on with phpnuke taught me alot about php!

phpnuke? *laugh* =)

didn't XP-erience run on phpnuke (waaaaay back in the VERY beginning) ??? :D

I completely ripped phpnuke to pieces for XP-erience, but it never went live :(

Heh, well VirtuaNews and vB seem to do the job fine.

I think it was back when xp was whistler and xp-erience had those luna themes that it was phpnuke... cant remember, was too long ago :p :D

hmmm...not sure if I want to spend all that time learning PHP/MySQL stuff...plus HTML and FLASH (cool)

Anyway these are the BASIC costs I have come up with so far after searching the web page sazar recommended and others:

vBulletin $135 a year (second year is $85)
Domain name $19.95 a year
Hosting $7.95 a month $96 a year.

Total costs $250.95

;)

Shop around on the domain reg, I know of places you can get it for 15/year. I get mine for 10/year through Tucows/opensrs.net

You just have to find a site that participates.

As for learning PHP/mySQL, I suggest you look into it. You can make killer websites with these two very powerful open source languages. And best of all, it's not that hard once you get the hang of it.

Yes, but basically that's the cost ....let's round the numbers to $200 a year if you search in the allies of the net for the lowest cost...:p

Now what about the design? Any suggestions on really cool templates?

madmatt
I know of places you can get it for 15/year. I get mine for 10/year through Tucows/opensrs.net
£3.50 a year for my domain ... good ol' .co.uk, cheap as. :D

fedele
Now what about the design? Any suggestions on really cool templates?
Best design? one you made yourself.
If you're going to be making a big site, with a large community/number of users you're probably going to end up using some form of content management system (possibly more cost). eg this site uses VirtuaNews, so you will probably be able to get pre-made templates/themes.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back