War(Driving|Walking|Chalking|*)

SPeedY_B

I may actually be insane.
Just realised we don't have (or I've missed) a thread on Wardriving, Warwalking, Warchalking, and various other 802.11 Wifi Network scanning activities.

For those who don't know what Wardriving is, take a read of this pretty comprehensive FaQ: http://faq.wardrive.net/ It explains virtually every aspect of the activity.

Of course if you proceed further than the scanning stage that's your own business, but bear in mind certain countries/locations may frown upon this, or even worse have laws against it, therefore in-depth discussion of those events won't be allowed here (basic discussion without too much detail is permitted, however no describing how to crack WEP etc..)

I'm just curious as to who participates in these activities and what your setup is :)

Personally I've been on a few Warwalks through my village and was quite surprised at the amount of networks that are out there, and even more surprised that a high ratio where actually protected (my village is shall we say.. lacking in technological advancements :p) I've also done a scan on the journey from work to home and come across five networks.

This is done using my iBook, an AirPort Extreme (802.11b/g) card, and KisMac. I shall be trying other tools eventually, KisMac has proved to be the most functional so far though when tested. I also intend to pick up an Orinoco based USB WiFi device so I may passively scan and add a pigtail to the iBook (Not possible with the internal airport cards :()

Enough about me, what do you guys have..... :D

I've been thinking of getting a WiFi Finder from my local tech shop, I think they go for around $50 CDN.

I would find it especially useful on campus, currently I have to unload my laptop just to find that there is no connection where I am.

Something I've been wondering is if a scanner like this or other software scanners would pickup signals from gateways not broadcasting their SSID's.

I just found this interesting site, it would be useful for travel to get an idea of where access points are in your area.

Are we allowed to ask for help in using the software that enables one to do the scanning?
I've downloaded one piece of software/freeware... however I'm not sure how to use it as it's not showing my the existence of my own WiFi home network. :p

chaos, I was going to get one of those (had my cc# out ready to order) but then I saw that Kensington to a "WiFi Finder Plus" which offers more LED's for signal strength indication, and also locates BlueTooth devices (pointless if you ask me, but a fun addition nonetheless.) but the 'plus' isn't available in the UK yet.. and they haven't answered my email asking when it will be, so I'll just have to wait it out.

ming, sure. I'm sure that most people know of NetStumbler which is the most used scanner, any help needed can be asked for here. Also please let us know of any new/useful apps you've found which are lesser known. Just don't discuss packet collecting apps used solely for protection cracking :)

SPeedY_B said:
"WiFi Finder Plus" - offers more LED's for signal strength indication - also locates BlueTooth devices
I looked up the price of the non-plus at my retail outlet, it would cost me $33.86 CDN (taxes/promos included).

The non-plus version would be good enough for what I have in mind, I don't have any bluetooth enabled devices anyways, besides the laptop itself, and I'm too lazy to order the plus.

Now do I want to buy that or Myst IV: Revelation. :D

OK.. got Netstumbler which I installed on the Sony Vaio I tried to blow up. :p
Couldn't get it to detect any networks... Not sure if it's the device that's the prob, but Netstumbler does recognise it.
The prog just doesn't show any networks nearby even though I'm like sitting on top of one... well 30cm next to it anyway. :(

Odd, can't say I've actually used NetStumbler (Not having a machine to try it on) are you sure it's all set-up correctly? Also are you connected to the network at all?

First thing, I only opened Netstumbler and set it to use all available devices. I haven't a clue as to what to do with any other settings and that's where I need help on.

Second thing, Netstumbler automatically stops my wireless connection so I can't surf the net nor link up with my other machines.

Odd, I've never used NetStumler, however with it being an actve scanner (as opposed to passive) I would of thought that you could stay connected whilst scanning. I can with KisMac, it's quite handy :D

It might be an issue of an incompatible chipset. Is it listed under the list of compatible devices on the NetStumbler site?

I have an Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG (802.11b/g) internal card and it works perfectly with NS. Also, NetStumbler will disable the Wireless Zero Config (WZC) service, so you won't be able to look up new networks using XP's built-in tool while it's open, but you're not supposed to get disconnected from the network you're currently using. At least that's how it's always worked for me.

Oh yeah, now about my happy experiences with stray wireless networks...
tongue.gif

I've never formally gone wardriving/warwalking, unless you could call walking in the dorm hallways with a half-open notebook computer looking for wireless networks warwalking (but that was just once) =P

Anyway, being in the city of Los Angeles, it's not very difficult to pick up stray wireless connections ALL the time. They're even there where you least expect them to be, and you always end up finding AT LEAST one that's open without an encryption key.
As I said in the last post, I have an Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG (802.11b/g) internal miniPCI card, connected to two internal dual-band antennae that go all the way through the chassis of the machine. The antennae are pretty powerful by themselves - I can sit in my room on the 2nd floor of a 8-story building and connect to access points that are physically located in buildings across the street, which is actually quite a distance. :D

NetRyder said:
..unless you could call walking in the dorm hallways with a half-open notebook computer looking for wireless networks warwalking (but that was just once) =P ...
You can.. that's precisely what it is :p

I actually want to go for a (war) walk through a near-by town but figure it would look plain odd plodding along with an open iBook, not to mention it would probably get knocked out my hand at some point (note: this isn't good :p :D)
I'd do it at night, but aside from the fact I'd much rather not, there's a chance some (possibly many) routers/wap's would be shut down.

*tries to think of a plan* :D

I went for a walk once with my friend in his neighborhood... found 4 WiFi networks that were broadcasting their SSID.... and this was just using the Windows WiFi finder or whatever you call it. :p

Still havent managed to get Netstumbler working. Anyone know if it works with the Sony Vaio R600? It's got an Intel/Orinocco based WiFi thing.

SPeedY_B said:
You can.. that's precisely what it is :p

[ there is some blah blah here ]

*tries to think of a plan* :D

Maybes try going around at like 7am-ish when people are waking up and checking out the latest rum-tee-tum online.... *shrugs*

rum-tee-tum-tee-tiddley-tum-tee :D

i wardrive occasionally or rather whenever i can get the use of someones car, i warwalk regularly and chalking only ever occurs when i wardrive/walk around business parks or industrial estates... purely for ease of re-finding them. I use my iBook (Airport Extreme), i have never used my GPS handheld device to draw a map because really i see no need to, if i were going further a field, or had a specific reason to need a digitally drawn map, then i will buy the serial => usb connector and use it.

I use MacStumbler and KisMac on the iBook... also for linux users check out phlak

Scooter said:
Maybes try going around at like 7am-ish when people are waking up and checking out the latest rum-tee-tum online.... *shrugs*

rum-tee-tum-tee-tiddley-tum-tee :D
Stafford is full of pikey students at 7am :p

I received an email back today, regarding the WiFi Finder plus in the UK
Subject: WiFi finder
Date: 5 October 2004 11:13:01 BST
To: ****@********.co.uk

GRAVIS / KENSINGTON

Dear Mr. Kerry,
Thank you for your inquiry.

I am happy to hear that you are interested in our products.

The WiFi-finder plus is currently an US only product, unfortunately I am unable to tell if or when this product will become available in Europe.

We hope that your question has been answered to your satisfaction.
Should you have further questions regarding this matter, please do not hesitate to contact us again.

When replying, please make sure this email is included.

With kind regards,
Dennis Siemonsma
Gravis/Kensington technical support
Hardly a satisfactory reply, so I guess I'll have to just wait and see if the 'plus' makes it over the ocean.

I have the kensington thingy

it's found a couple of hot spots for me, I keep it on my key chain

the preoblem though, is it has some false positives, which isn't a big deal, but it also has false negatives, and that is a big deal

I give it a 2 out of five osnn star points

iBook with iStumbler and KisMac. I prefer iStumbler, but KisMac has a lot of things iStumbler does not.

Here in my area where i live there are enough open Wifi spots for me to go outside and have a choice of around 15, 10 of them unsecured, so i get free wifi :p.

Me, I don't have a notebook yet....Can't afford it honestly, and my parents aren't willing to shell out for one (yet...heh heh).
I do have my trusty Pocket PC (Toshiba E740 w/WiFi) which works extremely well with Ministumbler and PocketWarrior. I've found numerous networks all over the place (I'm in Montreal, Canada). Around my neighborhood I've found at least 10, and 9 of them are unsecure.
Downtown Montreal is also full...Most of them are unsecure as well, unless they're from banks or companies or wireless service providers.
Can't say I haven't checked my email from a restaurant downtown with...um..."alternative" methods of accessing the net, lol (my dad loves it when I'm on the net at some random place where its really unexpected)

X-Istence said:
iBook with iStumbler and KisMac. I prefer iStumbler, but KisMac has a lot of things iStumbler does not.

Here in my area where i live there are enough open Wifi spots for me to go outside and have a choice of around 15, 10 of them unsecured, so i get free wifi :p.
If you like iStumbler, you'd probably quite like MacStumbler and AirStumbler :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back