War(Driving|Walking|Chalking|*)

X-Istence said:
iBook with iStumbler and KisMac. I prefer iStumbler, but KisMac has a lot of things iStumbler does not.

Here in my area where i live there are enough open Wifi spots for me to go outside and have a choice of around 15, 10 of them unsecured, so i get free wifi :p.
In theory, you don't need to subscribe to BB anymore. Just use the WiFi connection that you've found in your area.. hehe :D
Saves you at least £20-£30 a month... that's if you live in the UK. :p

It's kind of illegal though. Not to mention with even a single brain cell, most people would be able to note their connection is being rather slow... unless they're an AOL'er of course.

ming said:
In theory, you don't need to subscribe to BB anymore. Just use the WiFi connection that you've found in your area.. hehe :D
Saves you at least £20-£30 a month... that's if you live in the UK. :p

That kinda reminds me of the "hacker" guys back in the day that used to use pay phones to call for free...

back in the day? used to? ;) :p

Oh, and it's phreakers, not hackers :)

SPeedY_B said:
back in the day? used to? ;) :p

Oh, and it's phreakers, not hackers :)

Note the "s around hackers :p

Personally the only "warwalking" I've done is walking up and down my house trying to get a better signal into my neighbours' networks. I have 4 I can pickup from my house out of which 2 are unsecure, and from which I can go on the Internet. Speeds aren't that great so I don't really use their connections.

But it is fun nonetheless :p Anyone know of an app similar to KisMac for Windows?

Go with NetStumbler if it works with your chipset.
smile.gif

Ive done some wardriving around here. But being in a small town I didn't find many systems. The ones I did find however, had no sort of protection. A very cool website if you've never been there, is www.wifimaps.com. It lets you enter your city and state and view a map of sites. You can also upload any sites you find.

Woot, new toy arrived today.

WIIIIIIFIIIIIIIIIIHUAANTIMEphonecamsarefun.jpg

Stupid bloody post-man|woman left it wedged behind the door handle outside, so I could see it through the door, yet opening it would of inevitably hurled it at the floor.. genius!

I've ordered a USB Wifi dongle too, so I can make myself one of the poor man's Wifi antenna's :)

omg, thats pretty cool.

Last weekend I finally enabled WEP encryption on my wireless network... :p

WEP's not as safe as it would like to be, try WPA instead :)

I use WPA-PSK* so people picking up packets won't be able to decrypt my key.

I'm not entirley sure about it, but are those scanners and programs like net stumbler able to detect wireless networks that are not broadcasting their SSID's**? That would be a very secure method and without the overhead!

Definitions:
* One variation of WPA is called WPA Pre Shared Key or WPA-PSK for short. WPA-PSK is a simplified but still powerful form of WPA most suitable for home Wi-Fi networking. To use WPA-PSK, a person sets a static key or "passphrase" as with WEP. But, using TKIP, WPA-PSK automatically changes the keys at a preset time interval, making it much more difficult for hackers to find and exploit them.

** Service set identifier. A unique identifier that stations must use to be able to communicate with an access point. The SSID can be any alphanumeric entry up to a maximum of 32 characters.

Netstumbler (being an active scanner) can't get the SSID of a router/access point which isn't broadcasting it.

However some other passive scanners (such as KisMet) are able to pick up the SSID from packets it sniffs, obviously if everything including the SSID is encrypted, it can see there's a network there, but can't ascertain any more information.

Well my brick-internet-thing doesn't work.
I'll clamp down in February when I get broadband.

Might even do a neighbourhood watch thing and make sure everyone is protected.
After changing their homepage to osnn of course and making sure they can't change it back somehow.

Could change it, and use the shortcut method. Set the shortcut path to
c:\blah\IEXPLORE.EXE http://osnn.net/
Doesn't matter if they change their homepage that way, most people never figure it out.

Not that I'd recommend it of course. :eek: :p

OK - so your toy arrived - /me wants one also .... I could not see where you ordered from in this thread... Could you post up a link please? This should be pretty handy for me when I come to run my CAT5 cable, buy my new 80211g WAP and move my current b WAP to become a repeater for the garden... Will help me position things just right without resorting to dunking laptop accidentally in pond or anything.... :D

5 of them are AOL'ers that jumped on the get broadband with a free wireless router deal.

The other 5 are not to smart people with huge pipes like me. (10 Mbit down, 1 Mbit up), they would not notice me downloading anything, if they are just surfing the web, as speed is hardly or not degraded even when downloading at 500 KB/sec, they have 500 KB/sec left :p

I'd stick with a notebook for positioning, you can have actual percentage strength etc. This thing just has 4 LED's, it's only used to see if there's a network there or not, the "strength" indication is just a bonus.

I bought it from eBay, was an impulse purchase. You can get the Kensington WiFi finder from eBuyer.com though, probably a better build than this one (I intend to get the Kensington WiFi Finder Plus, however it's not out in the UK yet, so this is just a temp device ;))

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back