• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Want to setup a home network.

K

kewlio

I want to setup a 100 Mbps network between my 2 dell systems. Both of them came with a network card but I would like to know what else I need. I had 2 phoneline networking cards but they aren't compatible with Windows XP and I would like a faster speed than 10Mbps.

Thanks

K

Kaplunk

or just use a cross cable between them, if you only have 2 machines that takes out the need for the hub/router. and you get 100mb without having to buy 100 meg hub/router/switch

P

project3

hey all,

well this is a re-edit - as i dont wanna look too much like a fool........ as the dude above beat me to the mark about x-overs.....next time.....................................bang.....................to qik...lol,

ciao

u dont need switch all u need it a hub but if u have a high speed internet connection then u will want to get a router and u that and u also ahve teh capabilty to expand the network, but is not then a X over cable will work just fine

K

kewlio

Well I don't have any high speed net connection (wish i did lol) and I don't plan on expanding my network so all I would need is a crossover cable and the 10/100 netowrk cards and I can get 100Mbps speed with out a hub, switch or any other hardware?

Thanks alot. You all have been a great help.

M

MAC

There is no need for a switch. A crossover cable is all you need. In theory it is a faster setup than a switch(2 100base cards and a crossover). I use a 3com 4 port router and share a highspeed internet connection with my 2 computers. My 2 networked puters on highspeed, with 2, 4, or 6 other fast connections connected via game servers, just rocks on WC3, Jedi II, and MOH. And I have room for a lan party as u can switch off the router and add up to 253 DHCP connections. 2 puters gaming get cards and cable. Want to share internet and have expansion ability with printer server sharing, get a router.

K

Kaplunk

yeah one 2-20 dollar cable is all you need :)
depending on how far they are form each other :)

for only 2 computers all you need is a crossover cable just swap the green and orange pairs on one end.......

cables, cables

regular cable-----------------------------------------------crossover cable

if no pics its because AOL sucks

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
grovo_test