Want to setup a home network.

K

kewlio

I want to setup a 100 Mbps network between my 2 dell systems. Both of them came with a network card but I would like to know what else I need. I had 2 phoneline networking cards but they aren't compatible with Windows XP and I would like a faster speed than 10Mbps.

Thanks

or just use a cross cable between them, if you only have 2 machines that takes out the need for the hub/router. and you get 100mb without having to buy 100 meg hub/router/switch

hey all,

well this is a re-edit - as i dont wanna look too much like a fool........ as the dude above beat me to the mark about x-overs.....next time.....................................bang.....................to qik...lol,

ciao

u dont need switch all u need it a hub but if u have a high speed internet connection then u will want to get a router and u that and u also ahve teh capabilty to expand the network, but is not then a X over cable will work just fine

Well I don't have any high speed net connection (wish i did lol) and I don't plan on expanding my network so all I would need is a crossover cable and the 10/100 netowrk cards and I can get 100Mbps speed with out a hub, switch or any other hardware?

Thanks alot. You all have been a great help.

There is no need for a switch. A crossover cable is all you need. In theory it is a faster setup than a switch(2 100base cards and a crossover). I use a 3com 4 port router and share a highspeed internet connection with my 2 computers. My 2 networked puters on highspeed, with 2, 4, or 6 other fast connections connected via game servers, just rocks on WC3, Jedi II, and MOH. And I have room for a lan party as u can switch off the router and add up to 253 DHCP connections. 2 puters gaming get cards and cable. Want to share internet and have expansion ability with printer server sharing, get a router.

yeah one 2-20 dollar cable is all you need :)
depending on how far they are form each other :)

and if u ahve some good nic cards u can put them both to a full tx duplx and get 200mb a second with an x-over cable netowork

for only 2 computers all you need is a crossover cable just swap the green and orange pairs on one end.......

cables, cables

regular cable-----------------------------------------------crossover cable

patch2b.jpg
patch2b.jpg
spacer.jpg
patch2b.jpg
patch1b.jpg

if no pics its because AOL sucks

Just like to cpnfirm you definitely dont need a switch/hub/router, just a cable. I'm doing it and am running at 100mbps.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back