Vista 64 bit memory useage with 4GB Ram

Tweakfiend

OSNN Senior Addict
Having used a memory optimizer ( Win Cleaner) I can only get an absolute max recover to 65% ( averages 60% ) free memory with 4gb Ram.when at the same virtual memory useage is zero .
I can see prefetch being part of the problem and have changed the prefetch priority between apps / boot /or both.

Previously with 32 bit Vista and 2GB of Ram I could recover 80 to 96 %
Tweak V1 shows 96.1% free (ie 1923Mb) today on attempted memory recovery, suggesting that only 2GB is available.

Sandra and Win Cleaner Memory Optimizer both show 4gb being used .
Seems like a possible false reading.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Dark Atheist

OSNN Veteran Addict
Staff member
Political User
you have no need to reclaim it back its doing that for a reason, if your that worried about mem usgage turn off superfetch - although its not advised

Perris Calderon

Administrator
Staff member
Political User
Having used a memory optimizer ( Win Cleaner) I can only get an absolute max recover to 65% ( averages 60% ) free memory with 4gb Ram.when at the same virtual memory useage is zero .
I can see prefetch being part of the problem and have changed the prefetch priority between apps / boot /or both.

Previously with 32 bit Vista and 2GB of Ram I could recover 80 to 96 %
Tweak V1 shows 96.1% free (ie 1923Mb) today on attempted memory recovery, suggesting that only 2GB is available.

Sandra and Win Cleaner Memory Optimizer both show 4gb being used .
Seems like a possible false reading.

Any advice would be appreciated.
you have no need to reclaim it back its doing that for a reason, if your that worried about mem usgage turn off superfetch - although its not advised
heed carpo's advice

when you release memory you are slowing your computer down, in modern computors, free memory is wasted memory

contrary to those days when memory management left much to be desired (dos), the fact is in a vm os with a good memory manager the more memory in use the faster your os is going to be

you want all your memory in use, those apps that are not being used will designate memory to "the standby list", the memory is available for other apps when they need it

Dark Atheist

OSNN Veteran Addict
Staff member
Political User
well under XP i used to use the tuneup utilities mem cleaner, that did help, but if you have 4gb under XP or Vista you have ample and have no need for those sort of tools now

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Ep, glad to see you come back and tidy up...did want to ask a one day favor, I want to enhance my resume , was hoping you could make me administrator for a day, if so, take me right off since I won't be here to do anything, and don't know the slightest about the board, but it would be nice putting "served administrator osnn", if can do, THANKS

Been running around Quora lately, luv it there https://tinyurl.com/ycpxl
Electronic Punk wrote on Perris Calderon's profile.
All good still mate?
Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Poseeut