Vista 64 bit memory useage with 4GB Ram

Tweakfiend

OSNN Senior Addict
Having used a memory optimizer ( Win Cleaner) I can only get an absolute max recover to 65% ( averages 60% ) free memory with 4gb Ram.when at the same virtual memory useage is zero .
I can see prefetch being part of the problem and have changed the prefetch priority between apps / boot /or both.

Previously with 32 bit Vista and 2GB of Ram I could recover 80 to 96 %
Tweak V1 shows 96.1% free (ie 1923Mb) today on attempted memory recovery, suggesting that only 2GB is available.

Sandra and Win Cleaner Memory Optimizer both show 4gb being used .
Seems like a possible false reading.

Any advice would be appreciated.

you have no need to reclaim it back its doing that for a reason, if your that worried about mem usgage turn off superfetch - although its not advised

Having used a memory optimizer ( Win Cleaner) I can only get an absolute max recover to 65% ( averages 60% ) free memory with 4gb Ram.when at the same virtual memory useage is zero .
I can see prefetch being part of the problem and have changed the prefetch priority between apps / boot /or both.

Previously with 32 bit Vista and 2GB of Ram I could recover 80 to 96 %
Tweak V1 shows 96.1% free (ie 1923Mb) today on attempted memory recovery, suggesting that only 2GB is available.

Sandra and Win Cleaner Memory Optimizer both show 4gb being used .
Seems like a possible false reading.

Any advice would be appreciated.

you have no need to reclaim it back its doing that for a reason, if your that worried about mem usgage turn off superfetch - although its not advised

heed carpo's advice

when you release memory you are slowing your computer down, in modern computors, free memory is wasted memory

contrary to those days when memory management left much to be desired (dos), the fact is in a vm os with a good memory manager the more memory in use the faster your os is going to be

you want all your memory in use, those apps that are not being used will designate memory to "the standby list", the memory is available for other apps when they need it

Microsoft are copying a Unix/Linux treat and caching all available mem to make the system faster

Thanks both.
As you say........the more you have the more you should actively use

well under XP i used to use the tuneup utilities mem cleaner, that did help, but if you have 4gb under XP or Vista you have ample and have no need for those sort of tools now

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back