Video Compression Software

sean.ferguson

OSNN Veteran Addict
Ok, i have a few .avi files that i want to put on to a cd, primarily for storage not for viewing. I dont have a dvd-rw so i am limited to 700MB;

for the sake of easier understanding here is an example.

video.avi is 803.2MB the maximum available on my cd-r is 700MB; i need to compress the video.avi file by at least 103.2MB so it can fit onto a cd-r.

Is there any software available for OSX that can allow me to compress this much? im not asking for a compression utility to compress it to a viewable format, but a storage format. (e.g. .sit / .zip / .rar) however zipping doesnt give the neccessary compression?

Would 7zip compress it enough? It's had the best compression for certain types of files from my experience.
http://www.7-zip.org/

EDIT: Erm...sorry. Didn't realize 7z is Windows-only.

SPeedY_B said:
Ahem... OSX.

Damnit...I could have sworn 7zip was cross-platform. Apparently not.
blink.gif

Maybe I was thinking of something else...

Lee said:
win ace can compress files (certain ones) to a very small size, it compressed some plugins I have from 120 megs down to 5 megs. It works well on some files and bad on others.

Try this it got a download for it too.

http://www.flydragonsoft.com/avi-compressor.htm
It's in the mac section, he asked for an OSX app, and also said he doesn't want a file compression utility.

NetRyder said:
Damnit...I could have sworn 7zip was cross-platform. Apparently not.
blink.gif

I would of thought it was being o/s, guess not though :)
In 10.3 you can right-click > zip stuff up anyway, and then there's StuffIt, and probably command line stuff for GZip etc :)

So he does, I read it wrong, hah :p

Stuffit it is then :D

Probably not, compressed video won't compress any further, the different algorithms of data/file compression will only give you another ~10mb of size reduction.

Ohh I forget I am not geeky enuff to come here. (slams door in a sulk as he leaves!)

RAR has saved me a few hundred meg of some large wavs i have, might work on avi

Khayman said:
RAR has saved me a few hundred meg of some large wavs i have, might work on avi

For wavs use something like FLAC or Monkey's Audio. Much faster than rar.

not concerned with speed, compresion is good, plus has recovery records and such

WAV is raw though, so it will compress better (the data equiv of making it an mp3/mp4) however avi is just a container, so if it contains compressed audio and video, it wont work, if it contains something like raw mpeg and wav audio.. then you could compress it down.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back