Video Compression Software

sean.ferguson

OSNN Veteran Addict
Ok, i have a few .avi files that i want to put on to a cd, primarily for storage not for viewing. I dont have a dvd-rw so i am limited to 700MB;

for the sake of easier understanding here is an example.

video.avi is 803.2MB the maximum available on my cd-r is 700MB; i need to compress the video.avi file by at least 103.2MB so it can fit onto a cd-r.

Is there any software available for OSX that can allow me to compress this much? im not asking for a compression utility to compress it to a viewable format, but a storage format. (e.g. .sit / .zip / .rar) however zipping doesnt give the neccessary compression?

SPeedY_B

I may actually be insane.
Lee said:
win ace can compress files (certain ones) to a very small size, it compressed some plugins I have from 120 megs down to 5 megs. It works well on some files and bad on others.

Try this it got a download for it too.

http://www.flydragonsoft.com/avi-compressor.htm
It's in the mac section, he asked for an OSX app, and also said he doesn't want a file compression utility.

NetRyder said:
Damnit...I could have sworn 7zip was cross-platform. Apparently not.
I would of thought it was being o/s, guess not though :)
In 10.3 you can right-click > zip stuff up anyway, and then there's StuffIt, and probably command line stuff for GZip etc :)

SPeedY_B

Probably not, compressed video won't compress any further, the different algorithms of data/file compression will only give you another ~10mb of size reduction.

SPeedY_B

WAV is raw though, so it will compress better (the data equiv of making it an mp3/mp4) however avi is just a container, so if it contains compressed audio and video, it wont work, if it contains something like raw mpeg and wav audio.. then you could compress it down.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Ep, glad to see you come back and tidy up...did want to ask a one day favor, I want to enhance my resume , was hoping you could make me administrator for a day, if so, take me right off since I won't be here to do anything, and don't know the slightest about the board, but it would be nice putting "served administrator osnn", if can do, THANKS

Been running around Quora lately, luv it there https://tinyurl.com/ycpxl
Electronic Punk wrote on Perris Calderon's profile.
All good still mate?
Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
arrangel