very ODD issue

the hosts file is in the correct place
and yes its only like 1 % of websites that dont work
but ebay just happens to be one site that wont ever load
if i open aol i can goto ebay thru aol
but never anywhere else IEs been reinstalled

When in doubt and google can help no more, reinstall windows, and reset external hardware to manufacturer settings.

:)

celticfan11 said:
ya reinstall windows is my last hope
didnt really feel like it tho

Most of its automatic now anyways, not like the old days. Less control though....:(

oh i know
ive installed windows like 100 times
just dont feel like doing it :)
then reinstalling all my games and prgrams
is there a way to do it where i dont have to break the games and apps?

celticfan11 said:
oh i know
ive installed windows like 100 times
just dont feel like doing it :)
then reinstalling all my games and prgrams
is there a way to do it where i dont have to break the games and apps?

Well not this time really, but after you setup your system exactly how you want it you could ghost it, and if anything goes wrong again just reload the image. I know of Norton's Ghosting software but there are others.

what do u mean ghost it?

the way my hard drive is set up is...
i partitition it into 2
1 10 gig partition for windows OS nothing else
2nd partition is for my games and apps
what would i make an image of or whatever ur talking about

Ghosting is just another term for making an image of a drive/partition.
You know the way people say they're gonna "hoover" the floor rather than vacuum it?

A ghost image will take a compressed snapshot of your HDD or partition to be
saved off to a safe loaction.

In the event of future system failure, you can boot with a floppy/CD you made with ghost, and reload the image, or "ghost" it back to the drive.
It'll completely overwrite the old with the new :D
Once the drive is reimaged, it will be exactly as it was a the point of saving the initial image.

Ergo no more installation blues, it's very, very fast too ;)
You'll need to update the image as you add/swap hardware etc.

The choice is yours...either go for the Windows & driver install & config, then image.
Or if you know you're gonna definitely be running the same apps each build,
install and configure the apps, then image. ;)

sorry to steal the thread but anybody know some good *free* image programs?

I don't recommend creating the image after installing all your apps/games since at that point you'll probably just have to reinstall or update them anyways. You might as well do that using fresh installations of them all so you don't have to worry about incompatibility among versions and old configurations. In my opinion the best time to create the back up is immediately after installing windows before you've even had the chance to install the hardware that is not plug and play, this way when the time comes to use the backup file it is as generic as possible without having lists of old hardware you may previously have removed.

But I tend to like to do a fresh installation of windows and just reinstall everything, it takes longer but at least then I know everything is going to function properly. My partitions are setup so that I have one for the OS/Installed Programs/SWAP/Scratch/Important Documents, every two months or so I backup my Important Documents partition. I've been doing it like this for years and it is very effective.

still havent reinstalled windows

i goto the repair option if i right click the nic
it says... "the following steps of the repair operation failed:
Flushing the ARP cache. "
the other pcs dont say that how would i go about flushing the arp cache

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back