Unlocking Hyper-Threading

champ2005

| xs |
I've got a Northwood Pentium 4 2.4ghz 533FSB. In AIDA32/Everest it shows I have two CPUs, and the second one is disabled. In Pcmark04 it shows that HyperThreading is available but disabled. Is there any way to soft-mod the CPU to enable HT?

You tried updating your bios? Also check around your bios, it's an option in there, if not look for an update :rolleyes:

my bios has Hyper-Threading Enabled (as an option). I think that Intel put HT on all Northwood B core cpus, but only enabled it on the 3.06ghz model, but im trying to find a way to make it work on my one.

Hum if it's enabled in the bios I don't see how it is gona happen unless you try updating bios or buying a newer P4 CPU.

are you sure that processor actually supports HT? i thought it was strictly the 3.06 with the 533 bus, and the 800 bus ones.

I'm pretty sure I loaded *nix on a Compaq/HP server for a customer that was a 2.8 P4 HT back in January. I don't recall seeing HT on any 2.4's I've worked with, but I thought I saw a thread somewhere that was about 2.4 HT's though.

ya. it's the P4 2.4C 800mhz bus w/ HT. it's what i'm using. but i don't think the 533 bus has HT.

edit: yep, confirmed it. go HERE. Intel P4 1.3-2.8Ghz, 400mhz and 533mhz FSB = no HT. sorry dude. ya want HT, gotta get a new processor. though the 2.4C isn't that expensive anymore, and it's great for OC'ing. mine's running at 3Ghz very stable.

i know that it doesnt officially have HT. Why im asking is because it seems to have the foundations laid for it (that why it comes up as 2 cpus in PCmark04 or Everest), even though it is not workable. Sort of like softmodding a x800 pro > x800 xt to get 4 more pipes, because they are there, just not working or enabled.

I believe Intel removes something from the CPU logic or something to disable HT on these chips.

I too wwould like to unlock HT on my 2.8 northwood

HT is detected as supported but is not enaabled..

I use setfsb to OC it and notice there is a custom pll you can modify..

I'm sure there is a way to enable HT somewhere in there.. But i dont know what i'm doing with it.. So i'm not gonna try =D

I've tried d/ling custom pll's in the past and that only fawked things up...:mad:

Yeah..... i was thinkin the same thing. it's just weird when you see a subscribed thread pop up that you don't remember posting in. That's when you KNOW it's an oldie.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back