Unable to play MPG or AVI video files

0pensource

OSNN Junior Addict
Recently, I discovered that I am unable to play/view MPG or AVI files with MS Windows Media Player 9.x or PowerDVD. I AM, however, able to play WMV files with MS Media Player.

I also have QuickTime's Player installed that appears to just about anything.

I have checked the filetype associations and they show Windows Media Player as the default: (EX:)

"C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\wmplayer.exe" /prefetch:8 /Open "%L"

Really perplexed about this. I even reinstalled Windows Media Player with no change.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

-Miles

vern

Dominus
Political User
Codec packs should solve all your codec problems. They install all the common codecs for you. Nimo codec packs and K-lite codec packs are popular. Both of which you can google.

0pensource

OSNN Junior Addict
o_87 said:
I personally find the K-Lite Codec Pack to be great, you can download it from here: http://doa2.host.sk/codecs/

I did not know that it would be a good idea to get codecs from k-Lite. Cool!

Will DL,

-Miles (thanks)

"It has become almost a cliché to remark that nobody boasts of ignorance of literature, but it is socially acceptable to boast ignorance of science and proudly claim incompetence in mathematics."

-Richard Dawkins

0pensource

OSNN Junior Addict
vern said:
Codec packs should solve all your codec problems. They install all the common codecs for you. Nimo codec packs and K-lite codec packs are popular. Both of which you can google.
Installing all of the codecs (not sure if the option to select is there) can be done without any fear of changing what already works?

-Miles

LeeJend

OSNN Veteran Addict
Don't know why the MPG aren't playing, but Real and MS are litigating each other right now and I think the AVI hooks have been pulled out of Media Player, possibly on the last update, as part of the dispute. I have to use real to view AVIs. I noticed the problem in the last couple of weeks.

napalmnthemorning

OSNN Senior Addict
I hope you get the bug fixed. reinstalling might do the trick. I haven't used Media Player 9 for quite awhile. VideoLAN is excellent, and I mostly use Zoom Player professional. Here is a codec package I use that is excellent. 3ivx D4 4.5

Zoom Player standard edition is free.
Plays every media format (DIVX/XVID/VP3-6/MPEG4/VCD/SVCD/RealVideo/QuickTime/Flash/CDAudio) as long as you have the components installed.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Ep, glad to see you come back and tidy up...did want to ask a one day favor, I want to enhance my resume , was hoping you could make me administrator for a day, if so, take me right off since I won't be here to do anything, and don't know the slightest about the board, but it would be nice putting "served administrator osnn", if can do, THANKS

Been running around Quora lately, luv it there https://tinyurl.com/ycpxl
Electronic Punk wrote on Perris Calderon's profile.
All good still mate?
Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Poseeut