Unable to play MPG or AVI video files

0pensource

OSNN Junior Addict
Recently, I discovered that I am unable to play/view MPG or AVI files with MS Windows Media Player 9.x or PowerDVD. I AM, however, able to play WMV files with MS Media Player.

I also have QuickTime's Player installed that appears to just about anything.

I have checked the filetype associations and they show Windows Media Player as the default: (EX:)

"C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\wmplayer.exe" /prefetch:8 /Open "%L"

Really perplexed about this. I even reinstalled Windows Media Player with no change.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

-Miles

You might be missing codecs. Try downloading a CODEC pack to replace the codecs.

Reg said:
You might be missing codecs. Try downloading a CODEC pack to replace the codecs.

Got a link.... a little nervous about DL'ing codecs from just about anywhere.

Thanks,

-Miles

Codec packs should solve all your codec problems. They install all the common codecs for you. Nimo codec packs and K-lite codec packs are popular. Both of which you can google.

o_87 said:
I personally find the K-Lite Codec Pack to be great, you can download it from here: http://doa2.host.sk/codecs/

I did not know that it would be a good idea to get codecs from k-Lite. Cool!

Will DL,

-Miles (thanks)

"It has become almost a cliché to remark that nobody boasts of ignorance of literature, but it is socially acceptable to boast ignorance of science and proudly claim incompetence in mathematics."

-Richard Dawkins

vern said:
Codec packs should solve all your codec problems. They install all the common codecs for you. Nimo codec packs and K-lite codec packs are popular. Both of which you can google.

Installing all of the codecs (not sure if the option to select is there) can be done without any fear of changing what already works?

-Miles

o_87 said:
That's very weird. I think there was an update to WMP9 that came out recently, have you tried updating WMP9?

To update, start WMP9, Help > Check For Player Updates

Already checked: updated.

-Miles

I can't really think of anything else that might solve this. Maybe do a System Restore to a recent checkpoint?

SPeedY_B said:
Try VideoLAN: http://videolan.org ; see if that will play the files you are having trouble with.

I have VideoLan and run it as my only alternative. I have no problem continuing to use it. Just a little bugged about this "bug".

-Miles

Try going into the options menu, and making sure that you have MPG checked off in the playback file types.

Don't know why the MPG aren't playing, but Real and MS are litigating each other right now and I think the AVI hooks have been pulled out of Media Player, possibly on the last update, as part of the dispute. I have to use real to view AVIs. I noticed the problem in the last couple of weeks.

you get any errors or just won't play and nothing happens?

I hope you get the bug fixed. reinstalling might do the trick. I haven't used Media Player 9 for quite awhile. VideoLAN is excellent, and I mostly use Zoom Player professional. Here is a codec package I use that is excellent. 3ivx D4 4.5

Zoom Player standard edition is free.
Plays every media format (DIVX/XVID/VP3-6/MPEG4/VCD/SVCD/RealVideo/QuickTime/Flash/CDAudio) as long as you have the components installed.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back