Unable to load DOS message

Mainframeguy

Debiant by way of Ubuntu
Not sure if I should be poating here or under OS, but see background thread that started this here .

Well to update from that I have now run chkdsk and it seems there are some sort of errors (not bad-looking ones). BUT when I try recovery disc I get a one liner "Unable to load DOS, press any key to try again". Would it help to make another pair of recovery discs? I may try that...

Also if I try running the chkdsk in a DOS box it gives me the option to schedule on next restart because files in use - so I select that but then, as before, it starts the scan and then just stops and says it has finished before it's even really begun.

I am getting soooo scared this could be a reformat and reinstall job!

At least on the plus side I have DriveImage - so hopefully that will save all my stuff to put back on after the reformat and if nothing else I will have tested all my recovery stuff - but I was hoping not to have to do that unless I had a new HD or somesuch!

As always help/advice/moral support appreciated, I just know someone out there has hit this before and would love to hear the answer that worked for them.... ;)

sorted out now (was DR DOS)

SORTED now thanks! A couple of calls to Symantec, 1st time I ensured bootsector virus and quick boot options turned off in BIOS and ran a CHKDSK /R from the recovery console - which made no difference.

But second one they suspected my recovery disks - so I remade a new pair and "hey presto"! At the moment I've just removed my empty partitions but I am about to try putting them back properly without the recovery disks this time then hopefully all will be well going forwards.

Oh shucks and I never got to test the booting into driveImage! Save that "fun" for another day, :cool:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back