• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

SPeedY_B

I may actually be insane.
Not really a problem, more of a query.

For some reason, in one browser the tools appear in a drop-down at the top of the thread (How I always thought that they were supposed to) displayed with fancy-pants JavaScript/DHTML/Whatever, but in a different browser, they appear at the bottom in a standard HTML drop-down menu.

The two browsers actually happen to use the exact same rendering engine, and the only real difference is the name.. any idea's why it's doing this?

Oh ok...hadn't heard of Shiira before.

I suspect it might have something to do with the vB source code checking the name of the browser through the user-agent string, and displaying the appropriate "style" based on that. Shiira, not being a major player in the browser market, might not be on the list, so it might be treating it as a (old) browser that doesn't support the fancy features, although it actually is possible.
If that is, in fact, the problem...there might be 2 solutions. One would be to edit the vB source code to include Shiira (doubt EP's going to have the inclination to do this =P), or another is to see if it's possible to change the user-agent string of Shiira to include the word "Safari" (I know this can be done with Firefox using an extension).

SPeedY_B

Well, I thought that too, but I think that the vB3 developers can't be that naive, surely?

Plus looking at the UA strings, it doesn't seem that would cause it, although it's still a possibility..

Safari
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/125.2 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/125.7

Shiira
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/125.2 (KHTML, like Gecko, Safari) Shiira/0.9.2

I'll try changing Shirra to match Safari and see if it makes any difference.

SPeedY_B

Haha, no way. I changed it to match the Safari string exactly, and it works. I'm sorry, but that is stupid. *bangs head on desk*

SPeedY_B

You still can, unless becomming a legacy mod has messed that up (an overlooked tick-box can do such terrible things)

Moved to Fixed

rushm001

In the beginning......
Political User
~bk said:
*off-topic*

What happened to the option where you could delete your own post?
I seem to have lost that ability too! New thread started in Current problems.

SPeedY_B said:
Haha, no way. I changed it to match the Safari string exactly, and it works. I'm sorry, but that is stupid. *bangs head on desk*
Wakes up next day with sore head:p

X-Istence

Political User
My browser is now advertising itself as Shiira and it seems to be fixed. It could however also be vB catching my spoofing. Let me know SPeedY_B.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ernestrojasn